Original Dolphins logo rotation error? (Falcons too).

matthew516

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i doubt there were any brand guides back then. things got placed how they got placed and there were probably few to no one to "police" it. these rotated logos are technically wrong, and i would bet they all came from the same printer/vendor - or those jobs were sent out by the same person from the team. the correct version should be whats on the helmet, at least rotation wise, but there were variations of that logo as well. 

this is a good example of why brand standards are important today and why these things should be approved by someone internally. especially with about 200 people working between the creative, marketing, sales, guest services, cheer, corporate partnerships, etc divisions of the Dolphins currently. things can go crazy very easily

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

14 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

these rotated logos are technically wrong

I had always thought this too, but the inclusion of text is what gives me pause. I don't think there's a single example of this original dolphin being used with the slanted "MIAMI DOLPHINS" text that is centered over a logo rotated as we assume is correct.

Couldn't it be that the official letterhead got it right, and that the orientation of the official logo changed to match the helmet application only around 1970.

Image result for afl nfl 1968 team logos
AFL/NFL Pins, Late 1960s

"Jesus is for Losers" - Steve Taylor

17 minutes ago, matthew516 said:

I had always thought this too, but the inclusion of text is what gives me pause. I don't think there's a single example of this original dolphin being used with the slanted "MIAMI DOLPHINS" text that is centered over a logo rotated as we assume is correct.

But is there a single example of the original dolphin being used at this same rotation without the text?

And look at that Boston Patriots pin - funky angle on that text.

3 hours ago, matthew516 said:

Couldn't it be that the official letterhead got it right, and that the orientation of the official logo changed to match the helmet application only around 1970.

Image result for afl nfl 1968 team logos
AFL/NFL Pins, Late 1960s

yes, you could say it that way. either way, the print house/people were doing something different than the equipment team. so who is right? who made a change? why were they not on the same page? i suppose the difference makes neither one correct. that logo changed so much over the years maybe there really is no "official" version. i would prefer to defer to the helmet though if i had to make the choice. thats the one thing that survives the decades while everything else just becomes a novelty. we also use the helmet orientation of the logo today

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I do admit that I like the "slanted" one more as it makes the dolphin actually look like its jumping/diving where as the official one always looked kinda derpy, like it was just hanging there.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived