2016 College Football Coaching Changes Thread ...

dfwabel

With some poor performances today, we might as well start this now. After only 15 changes in 2014, there were 30 FBS coaching changes in 2015.

All official vacancies and rumors will be listed in Post #1. Feel free to make posts/comments in this thread and all verified vacancies will be added to Post #1.

If a question mark is near a name, then that coach is rumored or there has been speculation that they will soon leave that position, or be the replacement for someone who has left or could be leaving.

Officially announced vacancies will be in red, and officially announced replacements will be in blue.

Baylor: Jim Grobe (Interim HC)--------->Matt Rhule (Hired 12/6)

LSU: Les Miles (Fired 9/25)--------->Ed Orgeron (Hired 11/25)

FIU: Ron Turner (Fired 9/25)--------> Butch Davis (Hired 11/15)

Purdue: Darrell Hazell (Fired 10/16)--------->Jeff Brohm (Hired 12/5)

Fresno State: Tim DeRuyter (Fired 10/23)-------->Jeff Teford (Hired 11/10)

Georgia State: Trent Miles (Fired 11/12)------->Shawn Elliott (Hired 12/8)

Texas: Charlie Strong (Fired 11/26)--------->Tom Herman (Hired 11/26)

Florida Atlantic: Charlie Partridge (Fired 11/27)--------->Lane Kiffin (Hired 12/13)

Houston: Tom Herman (Resigned 11/26)-------->Major Applewhite (Hired 12/9)

Nevada: Brian Polian (Fired 11/27)-------->Jay Norvell (Hired 12/7)

San Jose State: Ron Caragher (Fired 11/27)--------->Brett Brennan (Hired 12/7)

Oregon: Mark Helfrich (Fired 11/29)--------->Willie Taggart (Hired 12/6)

Indiana: Kevin Wilson (Fired 12/1) --------->Tom Allen (Hired 12/1)

Cincinnati: Tommy Tuberville (Resigned 12/4)--------->Luke Fickell (Hired 12/10)

Western Kentucky: Jeff Brohm (Resigned 12/5)--------->Mike Sanford (Hired 12/14)

Temple: Matt Rhule (Resigned 12/6)--------->Geoff Collins ( Hired 12/14)

South Florida: Willie Taggart (Resigned 12/6)--------->Charlie Strong (Hired 12/12)

Minnesota: Tracy Cleays (Fired 1/3/17)--------->PJ Fleck (Hired 1/6/17)

Western Michigan: PJ Fleck (Resigned 1/6/17)---------> Tim Lester (Hired 1/13/17)

California: Sonny Dykes (fired 1/8/17) ---------> Justin Wilcox (Hired 1/14/17)

Auburn: Gus Malzhan (?)

BC: Steve Adazzio (?)

NC State: Dave Doreen (?)

Kentucky: Mark Stoops (?)

Colorado: Mike MacIntyre (?)

Penn State: James Franklin (?)

Cal: Sonny Dykes (He looked at other jobs last year)
Houston: Tom Herman (Will he take a Power 5 job if Houston isn't invited to the Big XII)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Mark Stoops

I don't get what he's doing.  He's been getting good recruit classes, yet the team looks to be getting worse, even by Kentucky standards.  Blew a 25 point lead last week, and it took a late 4th quarter drive against Florida's reserves to top 100 yards of total offense today.  He'll be lucky to still be employed by December.

On 9/10/2016 at 6:41 PM, dfwabel said:

Mark Stoops and James Franklin officially added.

Mark Stoops is in a low pressure situation but his seat still may be very hot.

James Franklin will probably get another year but the guy is not a head coach. 

5 hours ago, CLEstones said:

He's a great recruiter... but that's about it.  Curious to see who Penn State could land, now that the sanctions are off.

I think if Penn State goes looking for a new coach next fall you could see Lane Kiffin get looked at by them. Penn State are trying to become a more dynamic attacking offense and Kiffin will want a coaching job in a big conference that will allow him time to set things up the way he wants it. I could see his approach being closer to Pete Carroll's USC teams, with 2 RB's splitting the load, rather than what he runs at Alabama. He also would bring another big name to the Eastern division of the big ten and make media days more interesting.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

So Les's stay of execution lasted four games into 2016.  Not shocking....his clock mismanagement was one that a rookie coach makes, not someone who's 15-ish years into this.  And, for some reason, never really recruited the QB position like it was important.  They've been so bipolar the last few seasons. So now, look for the Tom Herman or Jimbo Fisher rumors to simmer for three months, and Miles will land on his feet at a top program next year.

With the name of Art Briles being brought up in regards to LSU, does anyone think there's a possibility he gets tagged with the dreaded NCAA "Show Cause" tag? I think if Jim Tressel could get it for covering up tattoos and selling personal trophies then Briles should be in line for it by possibly covering up sexual assault or at least not taking the reports of it seriously. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

With the name of Art Briles being brought up in regards to LSU, does anyone think there's a possibility he gets tagged with the dreaded NCAA "Show Cause" tag? I think if Jim Tressel could get it for covering up tattoos and selling personal trophies then Briles should be in line for it by possibly covering up sexual assault or at least not taking the reports of it seriously. 

There are a couple of big differences.

1- Tressel was given a show cause due to his failure to report violations of NCAA bylaws in relation to the tattoo scandal to both the compliance office and to his superior.  Briles did not really break any NCAA bylaws and LOIC is not going to be slapped on a coach. 

2- The Pepper Hamilton summary did not specifically charge Briles with anything.  The common words used were like "the football program and Athletics Department leadership" and "some football coaches and staff".  Baylor has also self reported violations in conjunction with the Pepper Hamilton summary and that will be all which the Committee on Infractions can act upon.

Stewart Mandel (FOX Sports) wrote about how the NCAA may look at Baylor back in May and has quotes from former CoI members. 

21 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I still think they need to do the leg work on this, any other organization of this type would be expected to do so. 

Leg work for who and for what? If a university, especially another private university wants to hire him, they can do that.  A public school is going to face greater scrutiny.

The Pepper Hamilton report was conducted by a private business for a private business.  They cannot really touch the report, just the finding of facts.  

And what can they actually do?

Does the NCAA have subpoena power?  NO. Therefore neither Starr nor Briles does not have to speak with them.

And if want the NCAA to look into Baylor for coaches roles in sexual assault reporting or player eligibility, Baylor is at the back of the line, not the front. 

Closer to the front would be Michigan (search Brendan Gibbons), Florida State (of course), and Boise State (Sam Ukwuachu committed a crime there first).

As high profile as this is they should already be digging in, especially if the Big XII has already started. And I agree, if the coaching staff is shown to be stepping into the realm of possibly witness tampering and intimidation all programs need to be investigated when these appear to have taken place. The NCAA does have an expectation that its member institutions take care of all students and not possibly impede investigations, though in some instances at Baylor it appears the cops were not bothering to do any work to investigate the claims and the school was not informed on all of them. In my opinion, what Briles did is more dangerous to society than what Tressel did.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

As high profile as this is they should already be digging in, especially if the Big XII has already started. And I agree, if the coaching staff is shown to be stepping into the realm of possibly witness tampering and intimidation all programs need to be investigated when these appear to have taken place. The NCAA does have an expectation that its member institutions take care of all students and not possibly impede investigations, though in some instances at Baylor it appears the cops were not bothering to do any work to investigate the claims and the school was not informed on all of them. In my opinion, what Briles did is more dangerous to society than what Tressel did.

Not conducting criminal investigations is not the NCAA's enforcement problem,  That's a state law enforcement and a Department of Justice problem. 

And you don't know that Briles did as the report does not name him or attach him to any wrongdoing.  He and the university reached a settlement, so unless a third party takes him to civil court, you are just spitballing.  Baylor has not received a Notice of Allegations, so as of now, the NCAA cannot punish and repeat the mess they stepped into when they penalized and fines Penn State.  The NCAA knowns they should not violate their enforcement bylaws again. 

As of June 15, the Department of Education currently has 195 schools with a total of 246 Title IX Sexual Assault investigations underway.

Say that 10% (20 rounding up) of the schools had sexual assaults involving varsity athletes. Where does one prioritize?  The investigators are already few and far between as it is. 

TLDR. Briles cannot be given a Show-Cause because there has yet to be a Notice of Allegations given to Baylor regarding major infractions 

You're correct I don't which is why I said possibly. The reports sent out have identified members of the school, Waco police and athletic department that had knowledge and interceded on behalf of the athletes. None of the names have been released. IF his name is in the report he has questions to answer to. IF his assistants are in that report, he has questions to answer for. At the end of the day the NCAA has done a Show for Cause with little to no information so seeing it happen now wouldn't surprise me. If I am an athletic director at any FBS or FCS school, I'd steer clear of him until he is fully exonorated. Even if he doesn't get a Show for Cause. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived