2016 College Football Coaching Changes Thread ...

dfwabel

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After listening to "sources" saying Strong is done at Texas, I'm actually pissed about that. His freshman quarterback threw three touchdowns yesterday which is the main reason they lost. His defense has actually improved the last 3 weeks as well, which was the biggest issue this year. I'm sure they're prepping to bring in Tom Herman, which is a good fit for a young quarterback like Buechelle, but I think Strong, as well as all coaches, should get 4 years so that you can see how they do with their full compliment of recruits. With a buyout of $11 million, I think Charlie's going to be okay though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

After listening to "sources" saying Strong is done at Texas, I'm actually pissed about that. His freshman quarterback threw three touchdowns yesterday which is the main reason they lost. His defense has actually improved the last 3 weeks as well, which was the biggest issue this year. I'm sure they're prepping to bring in Tom Herman, which is a good fit for a young quarterback like Buechelle, but I think Strong, as well as all coaches, should get 4 years so that you can see how they do with their full compliment of recruits. With a buyout of $11 million, I think Charlie's going to be okay though. 

I've long said....the biggest 'tell' in whether a school should fire their coach is to listen to the rival coaches.  Keep an ear out for what Stoops, Patterson, etc. say when they get asked about Strong or job security in the coming days.  If they say Texas would be foolish to let Strong go, or speak highly of him in general....that means Texas has to let him go.

When the Mark Richt rumors were swirling at Georgia last autumn, Nick Saban went above-and-beyond being complementary of Richt and rattling off reasons why he shouldn't be losing his job.  Why?  It wasn't to lay any sort of foundation should Saban ever be in job trouble.  It was that he knew as long as Richt was in Athens, Georgia wouldn't be as much of a threat to win the SEC or national championships.  Also, he knew Georgia would come after his defensive coordinator because of Kirby Smart's ties to Georgia.

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

20 hours later Tom Hermann is the name for LSU.

I saw that.  I'm seeing conflicting information -- did Jimbo outright turn down the job?

If Texas eff's up getting Tom Herman it'll be hilarious.  He's the guy they wanted and from what I saw, that was the job he wanted.

IUe6Hvh.png

54 minutes ago, See Red said:

I saw that.  I'm seeing conflicting information -- did Jimbo outright turn down the job?

If Texas eff's up getting Tom Herman it'll be hilarious.  He's the guy they wanted and from what I saw, that was the job he wanted.

Footballscoop.com and coachingsearch.com are run by two brothers  who basically have the same agent connections.

I know that people used to always say that coaches should get five years and such to develop players and build the program. But if after three years, you can't even get bowl eligible at Texas, it's time to move on. 

If this is true, and I'm reasonably sure it is, Herman's on his way to Texas. It was reported he was meeting with Texas this afternoon. If he somehow edcapes, Sonny Dykes could be in the frame. Texas looked like they were playing to get the coaches fired yesterday. Only Foreman and Johnson showed any heart.

ESPN is also reporting Ogeron wants to pull Lane Kiffin over to Baton Rouge. That'd make for some interesting off-season shenanigans in the SEC if it happened. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

43 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

LSU AD Joe Alleva panicked... again.

Why pull the trigger so quickly? He could have waited until hearing what Texas offered, unless he already knows what it is, probably $6-$7 million a year, and waived it off as too high for an someone two years into a top Group of 5 gig. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

If this is true, and I'm reasonably sure it is, Herman's on his way to Texas. It was reported he was meeting with Texas this afternoon. If he somehow edcapes, Sonny Dykes could be in the frame. Texas looked like they were playing to get the coaches fired yesterday. Only Foreman and Johnson showed any heart.

ESPN is also reporting Ogeron wants to pull Lane Kiffin over to Baton Rouge. That'd make for some interesting off-season shenanigans in the SEC if it happened. 

The conference has always been pretty incestuous when it comes to coaching hires.

This is such a strange hiring for LSU.  Orgeron can recruit with the best of them, but his coaching performances aren't so great.

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Why pull the trigger so quickly? He could have waited until hearing what Texas offered, unless he already knows what it is, probably $6-$7 million a year, and waived it off as too high for an someone two years into a top Group of 5 gig. 

Coach O was, at best, choice #3. Herman and Jimbo were the targets for two months!

He got neither

I always felt Fisher was a fantasy pick for LSU. If Florida State was having issues bringing in top talent I could see him bolt, but they are always at the top of recruiting. This is just one of those years that they didn't play as well as they should have.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

51 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Coach O was, at best, choice #3. Herman and Jimbo were the targets for two months!

He got neither

Says a lot about LSU, really. 

We'll see where this goes, but going from Les Miles to Orgeron isn't exactly an upgrade.  This has "Ron Zook" written all over it.

Archived