The New England/Mid-Atlantic Conference: Football Uniforms (Special Alts)

MDGP

NEMAC Full Logo.png

Team Previews.png

Author's Notes: Teams will be revealed as the series progresses, schools discussed in the history portion will replace generic references upon reveal. I also plan to include more graphics in this section as teams are revealed.

THE HISTORY

The year is 2011. West Virginia has just completed an agreement to move to the Big 12, and both Pittsburgh and Syracuse challenged their commitments to the Big East. In order to reduce the impact of impending loss of teams, the Big East began searching for replacements. Initially, the league attempted to poach teams from two smaller, but well-respected conferences, the New England Eight and the Great Appalachian Athletic Conference. Immediately, the conference lured Norfolk College, who had risen to prominence after three straight FBS top 25 finishes and finished the 2009 season 11-1, narrowly missing a BCS Bowl. Noticing the Big East’s desperation and the beginning of the Super Conference trend, NE8 commissioner Arnold Gardner hatched a plan to keep his conference together. Gardner contacted GAAC commissioner Ron B. Lalonde and pitched the formation of a new super conference that would bring together the 8 teams from the NE8 and the CAAC’s remaining six schools. With the promise of renewed stability, national prominence, and the development of a conference television network, the 14 schools agreed to form the New England/Mid-Atlantic Conference (NEMAC), scheduled to form starting in 2013 to coincide with the departure of Norfolk College. Due to these new revelations, Norfolk filed a lawsuit to prevent the merger if not allowed to remain. However, because discussions of a merger only occurred after Norfolk announced its plan to move, the new NEMAC conference prevailed. 

Suddenly, with 2 serious football title contenders, as well as several other top 25 finishers, the NEMAC was positioned to become a new power conference. This was ensured by collapse of the Big East conference several years later. Since its inception, the NEMAC has become a top national conference poised to make a run at National Championships in several sports. 

THE TEAMS

The NEMAC consists of 14 teams located in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts (3), Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York (2), New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Ohio (2). Divisions consist of seven teams each based geographically. The East Division consists of 7 members of the NE8 with Hale moving to the West Division to join the GAAC teams. NOTE: Divisions only exist for football. Each school is a full member, with all 14 participating in every major sport except hockey (8 schools make up the NEMAC Hockey conference). 

THE LOGOS

The NEMAC logo is derived from a combination of elements from the NE8 and the GAAC. The logo’s main shape and mountain are homages to the shape of the original GAAC logo. The 10 stars above the logo and the italicization of the letters are derived from the NE8 logo. Finally, the primary color of each logo was used in the color scheme. 

NE8 + GAAC.png

NEMAC Full Logo.png

Each team also wears a jersey patch featuring only the conference name. These patches will be worn in team colors upon the uniforms of all sports.

NEMAC Jersey Patch.png

First Up: Maine State University

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm glad to see there is some interest in the series! Before I post Maine State, I wanted to add a post to give a little bit more context to how I expect the series to work. 

I first plan to unveil each school with the basic information and logos. Then I'll follow that up with the uniforms within each sport (and possibly season simulations/standings, though the structure of the NCAA in general kinda makes that a little bit tougher to figure out). One major difference from leagues like the PHL is that I likely won't do a historical year-to-year system of updates. There will be plenty of history discussed for each school, but it'll be more anecdotal towards the current identities. You will get a taste of history from throwback uniforms though. Due to the number of sports that I plan to include, I just find it'll be difficult to keep up with the workload of doing concepts for every year in every sport. 

Obviously, if you have any questions or ideas, definitely send it my way, and I'll take a look! 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Brigade NEMAC Presentation.png

Maine State University was founded in 1844 (originally as Eliot College) as a military college to work in conjunction with the nearby Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. In its formative years, MSU helped create some of the finest naval and military intelligence officers in the U.S. military. Many of these students would play a vital role in the Union's victory in the Civil War. 

Following the War, former brigadeer general and newly elected governor Joshua Chamberlain helped expand the college into a land grant university. Despite existing prior to 1865, the college was not named University of Maine, which was instead bestowed upon the newly formed college in Orono. Instead, the school took on its current name, the Maine State University. Chamberlain, following his tenure as governor, served as a member of the board of trustees from 1868-1873.

As the influence of college sports increased, the University required a nickname. In 1908, the University held a student vote to decide the mascot. Ultimately, Brigadeers, inspired by the military presence nearby as well as Joshua Chamberlain's importance to the school, was chosen over the Wildcats, Bucks, and Hawks (A name the local high school would later adopt). The name remained for only 8 years, when it was shortened to Brigade. 

From 1916 through 1961, Maine State did not have a true official logo, with different sports using different logos. In 1962, the school's original cannon logo was designed and was adopted as the school's primary logo., along with an MSU monogram as the secondary. This design lasted untouched through 2001, when the logo was redesigned by Nike. This design, was touted as being more aggressive and angular, bringing the university into a new era. This logo was met with lukewarm reception, but as not immediately withdrawn. However, in 2010, the school introduced a throwback inspired soldier logo which became extremely popular amongst students and alumni. Due to this popularity, Maine State shifted its identity back to an old-school, more simplified look. The cannon was designed to create a mix of modern and classic design, a move that has been deemed wildly successful. 

Author's Note: Those of you who have followed my previous work probably recognize this from every series I've ever done. Many of the discussed design elements are actually earlier designs for this team. To keep the series contained, I won't post the logos here, but the design is available on this site.

What do the 10 stars of the league logo represent?

Are all the universities in the conference fictional? The reason I ask, is that in the description of the conference, you say that Connecticut will be in the West and was wondering if this is the same University as the University of Connecticut (aka UConn) or a different one.

Finally, you mention the ten states the representing universities/colleges come from, but when you add up the schools by state, there are only 13 listed. 8 of the states are listed as having one school, Ohio has 2, and Massachusetts has 3.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

1 minute ago, eick74 said:

What do the 10 stars of the league logo represent?

Are all the universities in the conference fictional? The reason I ask, is that in the description of the conference, you say that Connecticut will be in the West and was wondering if this is the same University as the University of Connecticut (aka UConn) or a different one.

Finally, you mention the ten states the representing universities/colleges come from, but when you add up the schools by state, there are only 13 listed. 8 of the states are listed as having one school, Ohio has 2, and Massachusetts has 3.

Good catches on all accounts. I'll just list these in order.

1) The 10 stars represent the 10 states in which teams are located. This is based on the six stars representing six states in the New England Eight logo.

2) All schools are Fictional. In my author's note I discussed using placeholders to describe the schools before I've revealed them. That was specifically what I was referring to. I realize now that this is still confusing, so I'll make some changes to make that more clear.

3) Good catch, I meant to have a (2) after New York, I'll also implement that change as well.

Hey, thanks for the comments, guys! Glad to see there's interest in the series. I hope to do right by you all!

On 9/9/2016 at 11:53 PM, SNBSlugger said:

I love the design, especially the nod to Joshua Chamberlain, but Eliot is practically New Hampshire.  Move that ish up 95 about 200 miles. :)

Yes it is. It's also the area where I grew up, hence the seemingly random choice. Normally I'd consider the possibility of moving them around, but I just can't do it this time. (I can't help but notice Bangor happens to be about 200 miles up 95... I'm onto you. :P).

I'll have the next team up shortly.

2 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I've got nothing negative to say about this, just a question: will we be seeing uniforms, and, if so, which sports will we seem them for?

Yep! I'm gonna post the background information of all the schools first, then I'll do uniforms by sport. So far I plan to definitely include: Football, Soccer, Hockey, Basketball, Women's Volleyball, and Baseball.

If I can find or make templates for some other sports, I'll possibly include those too, depending on how my creativity is doing after all this.

Warwick Presentation.png

Founded in 1921, Warwick College was established as Rhode Island's public equivalent to Providence College. The proximity of the two schools (approximately 13 miles), has created an intense rivalry amongst the students and alumni of the two schools. Hockey is an especially intense matchup, rivaling the likes of Minnesota-NoDak, BC-BU, and UMaine-UNH. 

Due to its location near the Atlantic Ocean, Warwick has been hailed for its excellence in marine research, with its marine biology major regularly ranking in the top 15 in the nation. In 2010, the school received extensive exposure following the BP oil spill. As a part of the cleanup effort, the US Government employed several experts employed or trained at the college to determine the most safe, and efficient ways to clean the Gulf while ensuring maximum protection of marine wildlife. 

This devotion to the aquatic is the basis for Warwick's identity. The school seal features a shield based on the seal of Warwick (which itself is based on the seal of Robert Rich, 2nd Earl of Warwick). At the bottom of the shield is a chevron and three botonée. The top features a lone trident, a prominent symbol of the Wayne family, generally considered the founders of the school (Arthur Wayne also served as the school's 1st president). During its first football season, newspapers began referring to the squad as the Tridents as a reference to that symbol being extremely prominent and identifiable. Needless to say, the name stuck. In 1933, the school's first official logo was unveiled, a W featuring prongs to resemble a trident head. The basis for this primary logo has remained to this day (though it has undergone changes, including a Wisconsin-esque change to the modern logo in 1993). The team's secondary logo features Poseidon riding a wave while chargin with his own trident (Interestingly, the school decided that it's primary logo would imitate both a trident and the flowing water seen in the other logos). Finally, the tertiary logo is based directly on the Conimicut Point lighthouse.

Author's Note: It's possible you've seen this design as well. The design was originally made for this series (awhile ago now), but due to the length of time the series has taken in getting off the ground, I posted the logos over at Behance, though I do not believe the designs were posted here. Don't worry, these are the only two previously shown designs I've got. From now on I promise only new stuff.

Also, if you wanna see a closeups of any of the logos, just ask, and I'll post em for you!

Archived