The New England/Mid-Atlantic Conference: Football Uniforms (Special Alts)

MDGP

On 10/14/2016 at 7:41 PM, Lafarge said:

University of New Jersey Presentation.png

The University of New Jersey is the cream of the crop in the West Division. Located in one of the top rated college towns in America, UNJ has managed to successfully overcome its state's negative stereotypes to become one of the most well-respected and popular programs in the United States. Of course, that success has also led to the burning hatred of all other teams in the conference. The younger of the two major New Jersey schools, one would have expected UNJ to experience a sort of little brother syndrome. However, UNJ has enjoyed the most success in its rivalry with Rutgers, leading heavily in the following series: Football, 31-17-2; Basketball, 26-3; Annual Blood Drive, 11-0. Fun fact, prior to offering Rutgers a spot, the B1G conference attempted to entice UNJ into the conference. However, the negotiations to create NEMAC were already underway, and UNJ preferred to remain in a conference with traditional rivals. 

Being one of the elite classic programs (like Texas, Bama, Michigan, USC, etc.), UNJ has a very simple, yet iconic logo set. The primary logo are the letters NJ interlocked. This was derived from an old logo featuring a backwards J with (with no bottom serif) to create a U and a J (This logo may appear in a throwback uniform). The secondary logo represents a leaping mustang. Like the primary, it is a simple, yet iconic design, creating an unmistakable helmet. 

Being such a simple design, I wanted to make it apparent that I still put the time and effort placed into the other designs. Therefore, I created the letters and numerals from scratch. The idea behind the font was to make a modified block letter system that would also be unique, while also mimicking the modern block styles of companies like Nike. The most unique element of the font is the bottom serif, which extends slightly below the bottom of the other letters. This serif is only used when facing sideways, and does not have a symmetrical top serif (hence why the C and 3 do not have the extended serifs).

I could do a stadium for the team 

http://i.imgur.com/4gh4ZhB.png http://i.imgur.com/DmN6VqA.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103365-star-based-championship-signatures-by-request/

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/2/2016 at 0:36 PM, XenonDesigns said:

Originally being from Ossipee, the Newts are by far my favorite so far! Everything looks awesome.Originally being from Ossipee, the Newts are by far my favorite so far! Everything looks awesome.

On 11/2/2016 at 0:43 PM, alexandre said:

I had never considered the newt as a sports mascot, but that's a pretty convincing effort. Great work!

On 11/2/2016 at 4:47 PM, Steelman said:

You outdid yourself with the Newts! Brilliantly creative.

I'm really glad you guys like Ossipee, it was initially the second team I did, but I was extremely unsatisfied with the original logos. I'm glad the effort to fix the identity appears to have paid off!

I'm also glad that you guys seem to like the Newts as a name. One of my favorite parts about doing college teams is the ability to delve into local histories and come up with out-there names that a pro team would never use.

On 11/2/2016 at 6:07 PM, StaatsBrett said:

I could do a stadium for the team 

I'm not really sure I'm planning to do stadiums, and if I do, I'll likely do them myself. I do appreciate the offer though, I've checked out some of your work, and I have to say, it's pretty darn good.

------------------------------------------

I should have the next team posted shortly

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Schnieder Presentation.png

Schneider University is one of 5 Universities in the Commonwealth System of Higher Education of Pennsylvania. Much like Temple, Schneider has typically played a little brother role to Penn State (and to a lesser extent, Pitt). Because of this, Schneider has a generally weak athletic system, with basketball, wrestling, and lacrosse as the major exceptions. Academically, Schneider has historically been known for its ties to the steel industry. Located a mere 10 miles from Bethlehem, PA, the home of the Bethlehem Steel Company, Schneider provided substantial studies in the steel industry, and helped establish several innovations in the industry (ironically, the company's unwillingness to implement many of these innovations was partially to blame for the eventual collapse and closure of Bethlehem Steel). Schneider is also well known for the Strickland School of Architecture, named after William Strickland, the famed architect based originally in Philadelphia.

The Steelers name was originally one of great controversy. In 1956, the Pittsburgh Steelers sued Schneider for trademark violation after Schneider made the Steelers its official mascot. However, despite not being the "official" nickname until 1956, the Steelers had been used to describe Schneider for years (evidence showed the school used the name in adverts for the team, during games, etc. and newspapers throughout the state, including the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette had also referred to Schneider as the Steelers).

Schneider's primary logo, depicting a heat shielding mask, has been practically unchanged since its debut in 1981, and is considered a classic amongst the fanbase. In a similar vein of Iowa and Penn State, the school attempted to change the logo in 2000 to make the logo "tougher" and "sleeker," but the fanbase loudly and immediately decried the logo. The few pieces of merchandise featuring the new logo have become a major point of interest amongst collectors. The secondary logo is the school's traditional interlocking SU, used almost exclusively by the baseball team. The tertiary logo is technically an official logo, but is almost never used in an athletic capacity. However, the logo is extremely popular amongst the students and alumni (Fun fact, it's also part of the reason why Penn State does not use a logo with the keystone). 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ZEGH82 said:

So after you get all the teams out and I guess uniforms done too, will you maybe make more conferences?

Probably not. As much as I'd like to, I'm about to hit a major time crunch that'll take up much of the next few months. While I'll probably have time for some concepts, it's really not conducive to a relatively long series like this one. Combine that with my general slow pace and uncanny ability to burn myself out in long series (see, for instance my soccer series), and I think it's safe to say, that I likely wouldn't be able to provide you guys with a consistent series.

As far as this series goes, it hasn't been nearly as consistent as I'd like for much of the same reason. I'm in the middle of finals as we speak, so my next few concepts likely won't be up until late December/early January. Once all the teams are up, the uniforms for the different sports should be up very quickly. 

In more positive news, Maine State, Ossippee, Cape Cod, Warwick, New Jersey, Schneider, Elyria, East #1, East #2, West #1, and West #2 are all bowl eligible! If I can get all the football stuff for Bowl season, I'll do a little special presentation for it.

Thanks a bunch for your patience with me, I really appreciate the interest. And if you do have any comments or criticisms for any of the current teams, or even some ideas for some sports/events in the future, I'd definitely love to hear it!

Given I'm from the New England area and have traveled through it, this has been a wonderful thread to watch unfold. I love the looks of Cape Cod, Vermont A&M and Maine State. Admittingly I had an idea for a Rhode Island area team based off one of it's most famous Literary residents 

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

After a pretty crazy month, the series is back! The final 5 teams should be up relatively quick in comparison to the last few teams.

Western Mass Presentation.png

Western Massachusetts was founded in its current form in 1934 as a direct result of the Great Depression. Two colleges, Wendell College and Wells College were suffering due to the economic conditions in the United States. In order to save both institutions, the two were combined into a single college, located in Greenfield. Western Massachusetts College became a University in 1956 and joined the Massachusetts State University System in 1968. In 1974, the Stags joined the New England 8.

The school's mascot was rather obvious. Wendell College was located in Pittsfield, originally called Pontoosuck, meaning "a field for winter deer," by the Native Mohicans, and Greenfield is located on the Deerfield River (and was originally part of the town of Deerfield). The Stags athletic color scheme was developed as a combination of the school's official colors, giving the school a distinct look compared to other schools in the New England area. 

The Stags' iconic primary logo was designed in 1977 and is considered in the same school of design as the University of Miami, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech. Despite its iconic status, the logo was victim to a late 90's regime change. However, the new logo proved so unpopular, that the logo was reinstated almost immediately in 2003 when Nike took over as the school's uniform supplier. The team's Number and logo design represent this change, and features similar design elements as the Miami Hurricanes of the era. In 2014, the school's contract with Nike ran out. The school opted to switch to Adidas, becoming the only adidas school in the NEMAC. The tertiary logo is actually the iconic antlers that were placed upon the helmets during the 1960s, but were absent from 1977 through 2006, when the design was brought back especially for the Stags' first Citrus Bowl appearance since 1964. The design proved so popular, it was returned full time on the helmets.

On 1/7/2017 at 5:29 PM, Darknes said:

Western Mass looks great, such a simple and good design. The front banner shows an astronaut..potential team from New York?

Good guess, but not quite!

On 1/7/2017 at 8:30 PM, TheAnt755 said:

Cool Western Mass Logo :)

Thanks for the comments guys! I was a little concerned that the out of the box nature of the logo might not work, so I'm really glad to hear you seem to like it.

I'll should have the next team up shortly.

Ohio-Cambridge Presentation.png

The University of Ohio-Cambridge was originally established as a branch campus of the University of Ohio. However, as the campus grew, the board of trustees of the schools and the state of Ohio agreed to make the school an independent entity while retaining the University name (similar to the University of California system). Due to the local history, the school developed some of the top aeronautics and astronomy departments in the nation.

Originally, UOC were known as the Huskies. However, after Ohio natives John Glenn (Cambridge) and Neil Armstrong's (Wapakoneta) flights to space, students petitioned to change the name to honor the local icons. After a school-wide vote, the obvious choice was victorious by a massive margin, and OOC officially known as the Astronauts in 1968. The school's logos and mascots immediately became a source of controversy. The Astronauts retained their colors in the switch (with added inclusion of black) resulting in an astronaut who was designed with red features. This, in and of itself was not a major issue. However, wishing to retain their mascot, a live Husky, the students voted to change the name of the dog to Laika (Both a reference to the first mammal launched into space, and the similarity of the husky and laika breeds). The colors and the names were instantly accused of being pro-Soviet propaganda, and threats against the school were made (both threats of boycotts and threats of violence). As time continued, the name stuck, and eventually became beloved and defended by the local fans, especially after the fall of the Soviet Union in the late 1980s. The current mascot, Laika VII was introduced at the start of the 2013 season, following the death of Laika VI at the age of 12. 

The current logo set was designed in 2008 as an update to the school's original logos. The primary logo changed orientation from a front view to a profile view. The astronauts face was revealed and tinted red to simulate see through tinted glass of the astronaut's helmet (originally, the face was not visible. The ear joint of the logo features a small crescent in the shape of a C. The secondary logo is a simple interlocking OC. The tertiary logo is designed to emulate the school's original husky logo while taking on an appearance that is more like the original Laika. While the logos are primarily red, UOC's athletic colors have trended towards black as the primary color with red and white as co-secondary colors.

• 2 weeks later...

DrydenTigers Presentaton.png

Dryden University is the second oldest and third private school in the NEMAC. Like the town it is located in, Dryden University takes its name from British poet and literary critic John Dryden. Historically, the school has been known for its literary pursuits. Located just 20 minutes from Ithaca, a rivalry was immediately established between Dryden and Cornell University. In 1954, rumors of a new athletic conference consisting of high level academic institutions with historic rivalries was proposed. Initially, Dryden was considered to be the conference's 9th member. However, due to its rivalry, Cornell campaigned to leave Dryden out of the conference. Ultimately, the other eight schools voted to leave Dryden out, establishing the modern Ivy League. This conduct led to an increased hatred between the schools. Though the schools no longer face one another in football upon Dryden's move to the GAAC, the schools continue to feature an intense rivalry in certain sports, particularly hockey. 

Dryden's mascot, the Tigers was derived as a nickname for the squad in its early athletic years. The school wore a uniform featuring alternating black and gold stripes, as featured on the school seal. Ultimately, local fans and newspapers referred to them as the Tigers, a name which stuck easily. The main logo features a roaring tiger head, redesigned in 2007 from the older design used for 40 years. The school also features heavy use of its cursive script and Cursive D logos, generally used in non-football applications. 

Lawrence Coyotes Presentation.png

Lawerence University was founded in 1881 as a private institution, in 1956 it became a public institution in the University of Massachusetts system. However, the school was granted its petition to retain its name without alteration, making it the only school in the Massachusetts State College and University system to not use the phrase "University of Massachusetts" or "State" within its name. Lawrence is best known for its English Department, located on the east end of campus in Frost Hall, named after famed poet and former Lawrence resident Robert Frost. Athletically, Lawrence has extensive non-conference rivalries with UMass-Lowell, Boston College, Boston University, UNH, and UMass in college hockey, the sport which it is most recognized for its success. The school is less successful in most other sports, though it is considered the cream of the crop in wrestling within the NEMAC. Since the Rome Olympics in 1960, Lawrence has featured 29 wrestlers in competition.

Upon choosing a mascot, the University wanted to choose an animal that was common in the area, but was not entirely recognized publicly. Ultimately, the school chose the Eastern Coyote. Originally, the school planned to use Coywolves as the name, however, it was decided to use Coyotes instead, as the Eastern Coyote's red fur matched the school's primary color. The primary logo features a howling coyote. The secondary logo features an L with a tricolor grouping in the bottom corner, inspired by the tricolor of the head, snout, and neck. The letters and numbers feature this theme with a simple rule. Where the bottom right corner of the letter features a curve up, the white and blue striping will be featured. Where the top left corner of the letter features a curve down (not connected to the vertical portion) also not applying to the number 2.

Dryden and Lawrence look great!  And as a side note, you're very good at designing the logos for the universities, they're very realistic!  You don't often see a tiger concept that doesn't use orange, but the gold really works well in all applications.  The font you chose for the Tigers also works very well, it has this sort of timeless look to it (almost reminds me of the Steelers in a way? idk).  I am curious - how did you make the cursive "Dryden" script?  Lawrence looks great too - I was worried that having a coyote in red would make me think that it was a fox, but you've made it distinctly enough a coyote that it's not an issue.  I also love the little addition with the added striping to the wordmarks (it kinda feels like that the J should also have it, though that could be because it's not a full serif).  However, I'm not sure how I feel about the blue.  It's a great idea in theory, but the problem is that it just looks like black.  I'd try either making the blue lighter or sticking to just black, because this weird limbo kinda strains my eyes and brain.  Beyond that, no complaints.  Keep up the good work!

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

18 hours ago, FlyingLamprey said:

Dryden and Lawrence look great!  And as a side note, you're very good at designing the logos for the universities, they're very realistic!  You don't often see a tiger concept that doesn't use orange, but the gold really works well in all applications.  The font you chose for the Tigers also works very well, it has this sort of timeless look to it (almost reminds me of the Steelers in a way? idk).  I am curious - how did you make the cursive "Dryden" script?  Lawrence looks great too - I was worried that having a coyote in red would make me think that it was a fox, but you've made it distinctly enough a coyote that it's not an issue.  I also love the little addition with the added striping to the wordmarks (it kinda feels like that the J should also have it, though that could be because it's not a full serif).  However, I'm not sure how I feel about the blue.  It's a great idea in theory, but the problem is that it just looks like black.  I'd try either making the blue lighter or sticking to just black, because this weird limbo kinda strains my eyes and brain.  Beyond that, no complaints.  Keep up the good work!

Hey, thanks!  It's funny actually, I HATE doing the school seals. I've actually had a few concepts I delayed posting because I had to finish them, haha. I'm glad to see that even though I'm not a fan of doing them, I'm at least doing them right.

Regarding the script, I just kinda drew it. When I started doing scripts, I would use ovals to represent the letters with loops, and then I would craft them from there. I also find looking at other scripts really helps to learn how the letters are formed. From there I just kind of developed a feel for the basics of how to form the letters together. Sorry I can't be a little more specific.

Regarding the blue issue, I actually was having a little bit of trouble with that before uploading. I eventually decided to just leave it, and if people didn't like it, I could alter the color. I'll have the updated version with the lighter blue up soon.

Afton Presentation.png

Afton University is most famous for its historical duality. In 1876, the University was founded as a male-only college, a status it would retain for nearly 100-years. As time passed, the school became known as a novelty, one of the few non-religious Universities that only allowed male students. In 1974, 98-years into its existence, the University began accepting the applications of women. During the transition, opposition claimed that a transition would be painful and dangerous to the new students, citing the "all male culture" to the school. Taking such criticisms and concerns extremely seriously, the university imposed some of the most stringent and expansive rules regarding sexual assault, and established large amounts of funding towards women's health, women's studies, and women's athletics programs within the university. Further, the University imposed several women to the board of directors, with one of these members, Diana Miller, became both the first female and first African American president of the University. The turnaround on school policy was surprising to say the least, and Afton is still known as one of the top University experiences for women, regularly being praised for its Title IX compliance.

A minor issue surrounding the university at the time of gender integration was the school's mascot. The team's historical mascot, the Vikings was beloved by many alumni were extremely opposed to a name change. In its place, the school proposed changing the name to a more fitting gender neutral name. In the face of intense blowback, an interesting proposal was made. The school would keep the Viking name for the male teams, an for the female teams, the name Valkyries would be created. Supporters of the name argued that Valkyries play an important role in Norse mythology, and would be a stronger option than the usual, Mascot/Lady Mascot pairing that most schools utilize.  Ultimately, a student vote came down to Vikings/Valkyries, Wolfpack, and Hawks. Rather easily, the Viking/Valkyrie proposal was chosen with ease. 

When designing the school's mascot logos, the major intent was to create a logo that would be usable in both male and female athletic applications with relatively little change. The school ultimately created a figure wearing a more realistic viking helmet than usually depicted (no horns). The only difference between the two logos was the inclusion of hair flowing on the female version of the logo. The application was considered novel, though was criticized for not implementing both into a single logo as Hosftra's logo does.

The school's primary logo is a stylized spearhead. While vikings are generally more well known for wielding axes, history shows that spears were a much more widely used weapon during the time period. Within the spearhead are a stylized AU. This stylization is transferred over to the number and letter font, which were designed, along with all logos, to combine a sharp and smooth edge system that can coexist as one.

--------------------------------------

Archived