The New England/Mid-Atlantic Conference: Football Uniforms (Special Alts)

MDGP

So, this concludes the school presentation portion of the project. Below is a sort of recap similar to the preview on page one, showing the teams' letter logos and mascot logos side by side.

Team Previews Letter Logos.png

Team Previews Mascot Logos.png

-----------------------------------------------

Obviously, this took me a bit longer than I had hoped. However, now that all identities are complete, I will post uniforms from various sports. Each sport will follow a similar structure. On day 1, All teams in the Eastern Division will be posted. On day 2, Western Division teams will be posted. Hockey, which does not feature all 14 teams will be posted together in a single day. Generally, there will be a few days between sports, though there should not be extended breaks in between.

First up, will be Football, which should be up tomorrow.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! Thanks for the comments! Sorry for the delay in getting these out, I had a bit of computer trouble that has ultimately been fixed, but slowed my down. I should have the concepts up shortly. 

20 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Everything's been great so far! I just have one question... do you think we could see some of the "horrible" millennium-era redesigns?

Ummm, Yes and No, I guess? So, to give a better answer, many of the teams have a more "Big Ten" old school classic style that, despite the change in era, really wouldn't have been changed much. Several teams will have a more modern look and took inspiration from some more modern design trends particularly late 2000s-early 2010s designs (one team is definitely going to be out there). At least one team has a design based on the early 2000s, and for Maine State, while the "nike-fied" uniforms aren't involved in this series, I can show my prior concepts, which are the designs I actually refer to here.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• 3 weeks later...

So, apparently my computer problems weren't fixed, and despite having a backup program, a bunch of my files ended up being corrupted. However, after a period of restoring several of the logos, I'm finally all set to present uniforms for the schools. They will be up in the next post which should be up in a few minutes. Thanks again for the patience guys, if I had it my way, this series would've gotten out a lot quicker.

NEMAC FOOTBALL

EAST DIVISION

NOTE: Uniforms shown are primary and oft-worn alternates. Throwbacks and special occasion alternates will be posted following he primaries of both divisions.

58e66a642b88c_CapeCodUniformPresentation.png.c91c04fd8864e81227c93be4e07f271e.png

Cape Cod's uniforms were designed for the start of the 2004 after what many considered to be the most visually confusing Fiesta Bowl ever. The Reds faced off against the previous season's national champion Ohio State in a hard fought 35-28 defeat (sorry, K State fans, ya got bumped). However, both squads wore nearly identical color schemes, with nearly identical striping patters, and helmets famous for including prominent helmet stickers. After many complaints by viewers and a back and forth amongst fans of each school, Cape Cod took the initiative to update their uniforms while still remaining inspired by the original design. The new design split the middle stripe of the team's northwestern stripe, creating a four stripe pattern that harkens to the original design. The design satisfied fans of both Cape Cod and OSU until 2007, when in an act of ultimate irony, Ohio State adopted its new look, with sleeves that appear surprisingly similar to those of Cape Cod. 

------------------------------------------------

58e66a6b6c6ea_CoyotesUniforms.png.42d802d4d2da7076dc92c21c440cb8ca.png

Lawrence are one of Nike's darlings on the east coast. With a willingness to adopt Nike's newest materials and design trends, but not going overly crazy, the Coyotes have been referred to as Washington East by design fans. The uniforms are heavily inspired by the split found in the letter logo and font. In its press release, Nike described the sleeve design as being inspired by "The Coyote's ability to attack in a flash and disappear quickly" as well as "the iconic angled beams of Coyote Stadium." In reality, more likely than not, a designer at Nike thought it looked cool. Both the red and blue helmets and pants are interchangeable. Here, they are shown as the are primarily worn this season.

58e66a6a5a44a_BrigadeUNiformPresentation.png.0a5bf87e7f3769d1e70cc4241d75ca1c.png

After several seasons of much more modern designs via Nike, Maine State has reverted to a look inspired by a combination of the modern and classic eras of the university. Wishing to maintain the sleeve caps and the X, the school altered the large X into the original patch worn on the sleeves. Numbers and names were flipped to primarily black, and only the white helmet is used in primary uniforms. The most obvious change besides the removal of the Xs is the inclusion of a blue shoulder yoke. Historically, Maine State had struggled to find a proper color balance on the road uniforms (especially when the team went to white helmets full time), and the shoulder yokes was found to be a sufficient solution to the problem. While the pants on the road are interchangeable, blue pants are not to be worn with the home uniform.

58e66a6eecc36_NewtsUniformPresentation.thumb.png.7fb3365332a52d2bcb103a680a369412.png

Another team with a famed, classic uniform, Ossipee has very rarely altered their uniforms over the years. The main change, which is not even noticeable to the average fan, is the inclusion of small, forrest green outlines around the stripes, numbers, and names. The most unique feature of the uniforms can be found on the road uniforms, where the normal UCLA stripe is altered by the inclusion of green between the two tripes. The uniform set also features a yellow helmet, jersey, and green pants. While the yellow jersey is worn relatively often, it is rarely worn with the yellow helmet. In this instance, the alternate configuration was shown to reveal the existence of each element, not necessarily the uniform itself.

58e66a690a0f9_VermontAMUniformPresentation.thumb.png.c8bf167ec2da98ff6f9db43bde396029.png

After several years of uniforms with more modern (for the time) elements, including piping side panels, the Maplers changed to Under Armour, and have gone back to its roots and developed a much more classic uniform. Historically, the Maplers have been famous for having two separate uniform templates, a more plain uniform at home, and a uniform with UCLA stripes on the road. In the most recent set, the uniforms follow a simple rule. The striping pattern on all pieces of the uniform have a Brown-Yellow-Brown striping pattern. On colored portions of the uniform, certain parts of the pattern disappear, creating the illusion of a single stripe on the Brown pieces, and a double stripe on yellow pieces. This self imposed rule allows for plenty of quality mixing and matching between uniform parts. 

58e66a6c8a7a9_WarwickUniformPresentation.png.42bcd6bb115ef969a8d920433274ebb4.png

If there's one thing that Warwick's football team is known for, it's the team's extremely unique uniforms. As a part of an athletic department wide branding change, the school developed a new striping pattern that would be used on as many teams as possible. In many instances, where a college has a major hockey and football program, the hockey program borrows from the football program. However, in this instance, the university noted that hockey merchandise was far more popular than football merchandise. The hockey team sported a classic barberpole style pattern, which the school decided to move to football. The primary uniform features the design on the torso (similar to Northwestern's chest stripe), and the striping pattern on the helmet and pants. On the :censored:e uniform, the pattern is moved to the sleeves, while maintaining the same striping on the helmet and pants. While the school generally does not do so, the pants and helmets are interchangeable. 

58e66a668544e_WesternMassUniforms.thumb.png.56cc51dc028f55972cf637b08e240c4f.png

The lone Adidas school in the East, Western Mass wears a rather boring uniform that pretty much follows the school's hyper simple uniform design. The most notable element are the horns on the helmet and sleeve logos. Because its an Adidas school, and because someone always has to be the one to do it, Western Mass includes a grey for grey's sake uniform. The color has no real history with the school, and the use of silver has spilled into use with the primary uniforms on occasion. 

Hey, guys! Thanks for the comments!

On 4/6/2017 at 9:14 PM, Jimmy Lethal said:

...damn, Warwick. I'd buy one of those.

Haha, I completely understand the sentiment towards Warwick. I absolutely love it while also understanding the sheer gaudiness of it, which was ultimately the point of the whole design.

On 4/7/2017 at 11:01 AM, EJaws said:

All of these are great. Will you be making hockey jerseys?

I will, but in the universe, only 8 teams will have hockey teams.

On 4/7/2017 at 2:45 PM, ODUMonarchs said:

These are fantastic! Good mix of traditional and modern designs. Love the Maine State set, great colors and I like the look of the shoulders on the away uniforms. Looking forward to the West Division! 

Thanks! Maine State is actually my favorite design as well. The shoulders were interesting, because they were just a sort of throwaway attempt to include more blue, which I immediately fell in love with.

The West should be up tomorrow or Monday.

WEST DIVISION

58ecfb0d6ab9d_AftonUniformPresentation.png.59626067a8f0bf60a7f69dd115567b80.png

Afton's uniforms are best known for their classic helmets, which can be described as a cross between Florida State and the Seattle Seahawks. Originally, Afton used a single spear on the helmet, but due to the similarities to Florida State, the school changed the design, removing excess detail, and adding two spears in a triangle pattern. Historically, Afton has worn a plain uniform and pants with a single stripe. During the most recent redesign, a shoulder sleeve was added in the shape of the spear, which was also added to the pants. 

58ecfb0e7ca97_DrydenUniformPresentation.png.8bd882e838ce414721c6d8d308baa9b6.png

Dryden has always been known for its stripes. While the school historically wore hooped uniforms, which is where the name Tigers was derived, in more modern generations, the stripes were moved only to the sleeves. Generally, the uniform has remained unchanged. The main uniform features no white, and gold sleeves on black sleeves. The pants are solid gold. The away uniform has historically featured the same sleeve pattern on a white jersey. The current white pants are a relatively new invention, as the school has historically worn gold pants. Finally, the gold helmet features the cursive script Dryden, which has been featured on the helmet long before the Cincinnati Bengals introduced their tiger striped helmets. The back of the helmet features a simple, unique award system, with bars to represent tiger stripes. 

58ecfb109e474_ElyriaUniformPresentation.png.535500a2a2b0ee01f5d581554913da06.png

Elyria college wears rather simple uniforms with one major unique feature. The crosshatch jersey pattern was designed to mimick the veins on a bat wing. When examined under light, the wings of a bat feature a crosshatching similar to the one featured on the main uniform. Like many other teams in the NEMAC, the squad's helmets and pants are interchangeable.

58ecfb09e8003_HaleUniformPresentation.thumb.png.48382d67f727f955f8cbd1375e14336a.png

If there is one way to describe Hale, it is orange. However, in recent years the color, which was prominent on most if not all uniforms historically, all but disappeared. Like many other uniforms during the late 90s, Hale decided that black was tougher, and the school began replacing its orange uniform with a black alternate, which ultimately became the primary in 2001. After a decade of black, the team made the move back to orange with the hiring of new coach Eddie Moss, in 2012. The uniforms feature what could classically be called Cleveland Browns striping on the two primary uniforms. Black was retained in alternate form, mostly used for the team's blackout game, though elements of the uniform have snuck their way into primary uniform combinations.

58ecfb0b54d65_NewJerseyUniformPresentation.png.2bae6c2ff1d3c18b5f104418963593a1.png

One of college football's pure and classic uniforms. The Mustangs are most famous for their sleeve stripes, which features an inverse which is popularly described as a New Jersey stripe. The uniform is also famous for its lack of names on the back, continuing a tradition that few other schools follow. 

58ecfb0c4f51c_Ohio-CambridgeUniformPresentation.png.8ffc936ef40625441a61a4c3381173e9.png

The Astronauts, despite their futuristic name, have rather simple and classic uniforms. The main feature of the uniforms is the asymmetrical double stripe design. The away uniform also features sleeve caps, a design element that some argue would be better if the sleeves were left white with a black stripe. One extremely popular combination amongst fans are the all black uniforms, which are popular because they "create thoughts of outer space, where astronauts spend their time." Uniform traditionalists correctly acknowledge that this is uniform speak to push single colored uniforms. 

58ecfb0f8b119_SchniederUniformPresentation.png.5d6d4048ba4e9a56f1e2a8ab953a5715.png

If you looked at a definition of college football uniform in the dictionary, Schneider's uniforms would be the picture associated. Known for its simplicity, the "NCAA Raiders" feature silver helmets with black numbers, all black uniforms with silver numbers, and silver pants. The away uniforms follow suit, with black numbers with accents on the white uniform. Like many other college football teams, the school's name is placed upon the chest in large letters. The back of the helmets feature an award system using helmet decals in the shape of an Astroid a symbol famed for its inclusion on the famous "Steelmark" logo, which was later borrowed by the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

This entire series is phenomenal, I literally would not change a thing.  Just wanna leave a thought - since Elyria is very TCU-ish with the batwing pattern, what about going full TCU and putting the batwing pattern on the purple helmet/pants as like an alternate?  Either way, they look great, as do all the teams.  

This is probably one of my favorite concepts on the forum right now, would love to see you make another whole conference, looking at how good your work is so far, it's definitely possible.

love the football unis, and question. Are you doing other sports?( baseball, basketball, soccer etc)

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Thanks for the comments guys!

On 4/11/2017 at 0:48 PM, kcoslett17 said:

This entire series is phenomenal, I literally would not change a thing.  Just wanna leave a thought - since Elyria is very TCU-ish with the batwing pattern, what about going full TCU and putting the batwing pattern on the purple helmet/pants as like an alternate?  Either way, they look great, as do all the teams.  

Actually, this was exactly what I did with the uniforms at first. Ultimately, I felt that it was a bit too much and kind of took away from the overall design, so I removed the design on the pants and on the helmet.

On 4/16/2017 at 11:14 AM, ODUMonarchs said:

Great work on the west division really solid designs. Excited to see what sport comes next! 

On 4/11/2017 at 1:04 PM, BellaSpurs said:

This is probably one of my favorite concepts on the forum right now, would love to see you make another whole conference, looking at how good your work is so far, it's definitely possible.

love the football unis, and question. Are you doing other sports?( baseball, basketball, soccer etc)

I guess there's no real point in keeping it a surprise. Next up is gonna be Hockey, and then probably soccer. Basketball will be added once I find a template I like.

SPECIAL ALTERNATES

Seven NEMAC teams feature special alternate uniforms used on a single occasion or as a throwback uniform.

58f63ad43f7cb_CapeCodAlts.png.ee87cffe435286ad310b48d9ff475004.png

2017 is an important year for anniversaries at Cape Cod. Two of the greatest squads that ever took the field suited up for Cape Cod forty and ninety years ago respectively. The 1977 design features the old famous jersey that the school moved away from in the early 2000s. The 1927 design features a simple red uniform with a faux-leather helmet.

58f63ad615274_DrydenAlt.png.b2ab2df01e908471b559b7336cd84592.png

Dryden, like Cape Cod features an early years throwback. This uniform is based upon the school's original design worn from 1921-1935 with modern modifications. The original design featured as many as 30 alternating hoops. In order to keep up with modern design principles, the uniform features three black stripes on the torso, with sleeve stripes. The helmet features the school's winged helmet from 1931-1935. 

58f63ad32f251_ElyriaAlt.png.ca19261bd8622ee6828f4544acbbeba5.png

Two uniforms for Elyria. The first uniform is the "midnight" alternate used specifically for its primetime game against in-state rivals. This season, the squad faced Cambridge at home, defeating them 27-13 in one of the best wins of the season for the Bats. The uniform is considered good luck around the school, and some form of the design has been worn during progressively less shocking upsets of Ohio State, Notre Dame, Miami, and Oregon in the past 6 seasons. 

The second uniform is a pure throwback to the 1960s, which many consider the glory days of uniform design at Elyria. 

58f63ad229f0b_BrigadeThrowback.png.d5161ccd5bd05d0b3618ba0ffcac3b48.png

This throwback, introduced in 2009, was the ultimate inspiration for the school's newest redesign. The jersey design and throwback apparel proved so popular amongst the student body and fanbase that the design has been kept despite being a one year plan originally, and is worn one game every season.

58f63ad706b89_Ohio-CambridgeAlt.png.3f195e436b0679313dd90154ec97f69c.png

Another throwback that many fans wish would be brought back full time. These uniforms were originally worn while Cambridge were still known as the Huskies. However, instead of putting the original Husky head, which many consider to be an ugly design by modern standards, the school put the Laika head logo on the helmet as well. This design has proven extremely popular, with Laika merchandise present all over campus. 

58f63ad534a6a_NewtsAlternate.png.04ab7c058908d43268d90ca93195d979.png

One of the few uniforms that features extensive use of the dark green color. This design was designed by the players, and is controversial amongst the students and alumni of the school. Most alumni argue against the uniform, citing the school's heritage and tradition. Students, players and the school argue that the design was meant to remember the school's tradition while also including a color that did not get much recognition outside of some merchandise.

58f63ad145062_SteelersBlackout.png.c784042cb85e4f03f26d33256c7914f4.png

Schneider's blackout alternate is a design that features plenty of modern design inspirations. Most notably is the black helmet featuring a chrome version of the Steelers' primary logo. The back of the helmet features the player number inside a keystone surrounded by the award astroid stickers, al of which feature chrome decals as well. The jersey features no school name on the chest and black pants to round out the design.

That does it for football, as discussed previously, next up is hockey, in which only 8 schools in the NEMAC participate.

Archived