MLB Tweaks and Expansion Made in Paint (Portland Thorns 36/36)

Victormrey

Hi everybody! Given the positive feedback I got from my Tampa Bay Rays and Houston Astros tweaks, I decided to go for a full MLB tweak series.

I'll make the designs in alphabetical order, alternating between the American League and the National League (e.g. Baltimore Orioles, then Arizona Diamondbacks, then Boston Red Sox, etc.).

I'll be designing at least three uniform designs for each team, and for those with major changes (logos, wordmarks, etc.) I'll post those designs as well.

Let's start with the Orioles! IMO, the Orioes have one of the best colour schemes in the league, but their uniforms could be improved. The orange and black trimming from the cuffs and pants are changed for a pattern inspired by the Maryland flag, the wordmarks and logos stay the same, except for the sleeve logo, which, given there's already a Maryland reference, becomes the "O's" logo. The new socks design is inspired by the 1901 road uniform.

Baltimore Orioles Home Uniform.pngBaltimore Orioles Road Uniform.pngBaltimore Orioles Alternate 1 Uniform.pngBaltimore Orioles Alternate 2 Uniform.png

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the black section at the end of the sleeve an undershirt?  I assume it is, but I wasn't sure from your description.

Assuming that to be the case, I like everything but the O's logo on the sleeve.  I've never really liked that logo, and I think that's true of most Orioles fans.  In addition, it is redundant on the black alt since that jersey is worn with the O's cap.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Is the black section at the end of the sleeve an undershirt?  I assume it is, but I wasn't sure from your description.

Assuming that to be the case, I like everything but the O's logo on the sleeve.  I've never really liked that logo, and I think that's true of most Orioles fans.  In addition, it is redundant on the black alt since that jersey is worn with the O's cap.

Yes, all the designs will feature the baselayer on the sleeves. I actually chose the O's logo because I really like it, LOL. Should I stick to the Maryland patch?

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice work! I really dig the flag-inspired piping. 

Thanks!

I like the checked design. It's really unique and the slanted angle really separates it from other uses of checker piping like on the old Cavs or Marquette. I'm curious about the thickness. There sleeve piping looks a little narrower than what's on the pants. Are they intended to be roughly the same width as the current stripes the O's use? Thicker? 1970's Astros thick?

9 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

Yes, all the designs will feature the baselayer on the sleeves. I actually chose the O's logo because I really like it, LOL. Should I stick to the Maryland patch?

I would vote for the Maryland patch, but that's a matter of personal preference.

All in all, this still looks really good even with the O's logo. 

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

18 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I like the checked design. It's really unique and the slanted angle really separates it from other uses of checker piping like on the old Cavs or Marquette. I'm curious about the thickness. There sleeve piping looks a little narrower than what's on the pants. Are they intended to be roughly the same width as the current stripes the O's use? Thicker? 1970's Astros thick?

Thanks. I wanted the trimming to be as thick as the orange trimming on the current O's uniform.

16 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I would vote for the Maryland patch, but that's a matter of personal preference.

All in all, this still looks really good even with the O's logo. 

Thank you ^_^ I'll try adding the Maryland patch.

8 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

Nice work for Team Clutch! (I don't think a lot of you will get the reference) looking forward to see what you'll do for the rest.

Does it mean these designs have "Pure Rock Fury"? ;) (99% of the people won't get these jokes).

Let's continue with the D'Backs.

I think the Diamondbacks are going through a transition time, mixing the Red/Black/Gold scheme with the Red/Black/Teal scheme. I think this makes the team identity look messed up. So, in other to fix this, I decide to take my favourite parts of both styles: I took the red and black cuff trimming from the Red/Black/Gold unis, using the Red/Black/Teal scheme for the logos, wordmarks and the back numbers, while the numbers on the front mainy red.

Also, the diamond pattern is gone, the home and red caps become black and red, the home alt cap becomes all-red, and road alt cap becomes all black. Both home and alt home caps feature now the D logo.

The home and road unis stay almost the same (apart from the changes aforementioned), the alt home uniform is all-red with black details and the D logo, and the alt road uniform is all-black with red details and the A logo.

The Hispanic Heritage uni is gone. As a Spanish native speaker, I can't stand seeing the "Los D'Backs" wordmarks, and "Espaldas de Diamante" wouldn't fit, LOL.

Arizona DBacks Home Uniform.pngArizona DBacks Road Uniform.pngArizona DBacks Alt 1 Uniform.pngArizona DBacks Alt 2 Uniform.png

Nice job on Arizona. I've made my thoughts pretty clear by now in the other MLB tweaks threads that I'm no fan of the "D-BACKS" wordmark/nickname, but if you want to keep it that's your choice. I'm also not big on the "D" logo, but for some reason I like it here with the turquoise outline. I also like that you kept the extra dark road gray uni. I know it's pretty unpopular look but I for one think it's a cool idea. 

I would make the bill of the cap on the black alt red so you don't have more than three caps in the set. 

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Nice job on Arizona. I've made my thoughts pretty clear by now in the other MLB tweaks threads that I'm no fan of the "D-BACKS" wordmark/nickname, but if you want to keep it that's your choice. I'm also not big on the "D" logo, but for some reason I like it here with the turquoise outline. I also like that you kept the extra dark road gray uni. I know it's pretty unpopular look but I for one think it's a cool idea. 

I would make the bill of the cap on the black alt red so you don't have more than three caps in the set. 

Thanks! I know most of the people disike the D'Backs and the dark grey, but I really like them!

I agree with you about not using three caps, the road alt design has been changed:

Arizona DBacks Alt 2 Uniform 2.png

18 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I really like the clean looks you've made. My lone complaint is that I personally don't like the "D" logo. I'd rather see the "A" or the snakehead. 

Thank you. Am I the only one who actually likes the "D" logo? :upside: I wated to use it in order not to be repetitive with the "A" logo, and I want the snakehead to stay on the sleeves.

I think I'll keep it as it is for the moment, but if more people ask for the same change, I'll do it.

Archived