MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

I just did a quick Google search for Padres Lanyard and the first one that came up is this years' blue/yellow but in the shadows it appears blue/sand. In fact, if you bring into Photoshop and reduce the saturation by -50 it becomes almost identical in color to the leaked navy/sand lanyard. Hmm.

San_Diego_Padres_6004c16c-dc50-45ab-b05d

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It's odd that the first product with the new colors would be a lanyard, not seen anywhere else, and his photo isn't of a display in a store showing that they are publicly sold.  There is a bit of selection bias in posting a photo of one lanyard.

Well as I understand it he works at a sports equipment store in San Diego. So they get gear as it's being released. It's how he got the scoop last winter on the 2016 cap with the yellow D. He's always been an impeccable source so if he say's it's sand, it's sand until proven otherwise.

I think those who don't like brown are, for the most part, an older group of fans who remember some of the uglier versions of the brown and gold, and the lack of respect for the Padres in general which is unfortunately associated with brown (the color of excrement or tacos). And yes there were a few bad ones, but also quite a few that looked great: like the ones in my avatar. But since retro became a popular concept, I think brown and gold has popular and local support.

However, this older group of San Diegans/MLB fans likely have more disposable income, and this perhaps carries more weight than number of fans. They may be more likely to purchase season tickets, for example.

29 minutes ago, Dra--- said:

I think those who don't like brown are, for the most part, an older group of fans who remember some of the uglier versions of the brown and gold, and the lack of respect for the Padres in general which is unfortunately associated with brown (the color of excrement or tacos). And yes there were a few bad ones, but also quite a few that looked great: like the ones in my avatar. But since retro became a popular concept, I think brown and gold has popular and local support.

However, this older group of San Diegans/MLB fans likely have more disposable income, and this perhaps carries more weight than number of fans. They may be more likely to purchase season tickets, for example.

Interesting. I actually think differently. I find that among friends my age (b.1960ish) who grew up in San Diego rooting for the brown Padres, there is a special connection and love for the team in that color. For me it's especially so with the brown/yellow/orange since that was the look for our first World Series. I always figured it was more the younger crowd who never really knew the Padres in brown that didn't like it.

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Interesting. I actually think differently. I find that among friends my age (b.1960ish) who grew up in San Diego rooting for the brown Padres, there is a special connection and love for the team in that color. For me it's especially so with the brown/yellow/orange since that was the look for our first World Series. I always figured it was more the younger crowd who never really knew the Padres in brown that didn't like it.

My experience is similar to yours. Mostly older pole who grew up with the PCL Pads and those born in the 80's and later tend to favor blue. I mean first time I ever saw them they were wearing the '91 style unis. They've always been a blue team to me. They went to the first WS I remember wearing that uni. I equate brown with being bad as they pretty much always were for all but that one WS year in '84.

I loved the Padres in navy/sky/sand, and I would love them in brown/gold done right, but please just commit to one or the other and stick with it for the long run.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

I like the Padres in navy and gold but a change to brown would actually help their identity a lot though I have always wondered why people don't like the navy and gold

For me:

- Navy blue is used by too many teams already. Brown is the original color of the MLB Padres and was unique to the team in the league.

- Gold appears dark, cold, stuffy. By contrast yellow is bright, cheery and more in keeping with the feel of San Diego

So whereas I too like Navy/Gold for Notre Dame (historic, mid-west, etc.), as some one who grew up in San Diego I just don't feel those colors represent the city or mascot in any way.

On 10/20/2016 at 1:39 PM, Rj0498 said:

I like the Padres in navy and gold but a change to brown would actually help their identity a lot though I have always wondered why people don't like the navy and gold

It's not a matter of hating navy and gold, it's just the San Diego Padres belong in brown.  I hope the team, with the firing of Mike Dee, can do another positive thing and bring back the brown full time.  

11 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

If so, I'm really hoping we see more of that swinging oriole. It'd be awesome if it ended up replacing the shield/seal on the sleeves. 

the swinging oriole was on the jackets this year and the past year.

And, never going to happen. Maryland teams love the state flag too much and feel the need to put it, in some way, on every uniform.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, andrewdon15 said:

Heres the new BP tops from the 2017 Majestic Catalog

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 10.27.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 10.27.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 10.27.20 AM.png

I wonder how many teams will actually wear these for BP versus dads wearing these to coach little league next spring? I'm leaning towards more of the latter... 

Pads in navy and gold. And so it seems the brown-and-gold remains just a dream...

Unrelated observation: those contrasting backs are going to look terrible, especially the Royals' contrasting white back. Thankfully I doubt these tops will be seen all that often.

Archived