MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

18 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I'm lost

Ok, because I wasn't clear in my response: Silent Wind of Doom, in response to my assertion that the Marlins should adopt a color like the Eagles' midnight green as their "dark" color instead of black, said "So rather than a divisional rival, you'd prefer them to look more like the traditional look of the Tampa Bay Rays?" I responded that the Rays haven't worn green in over a decade, have had all of their success in navy/powder/yellow, and that the accent colors I wanted were markedly different from the Rays' old ones (orange, yellow, and light blue vs. black, royal blue, and silver). Always specify your antecedents, kids.

15 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Eh, I'm more digging at you than anything.  Though, seriously, I associate darker teal with Tampa and lighter teal with Miami.  They may be navy, columbia, and yellow right now, a color scheme I prefer, but a goodly amount in these parts keep arguing for them to go back to the D'Ray colors.

I'd say the pendulum has shifted the other way. Look through this thread at all of the people who want the Rays to go powder-first and the many people who've given up on wanted the Rays to return to dark green (not teal, look at Colorwerx's RGB numbers - it's the same shade of green the A's use). Besides, forest green/powder blue/yellow is worlds away from forest green/black/dark royal blue/silver. 

Also, good ribbing on me. I totally chose a bad reference photo to describe my desired color scheme.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Ok, because I wasn't clear in my response: Silent Wind of Doom, in response to my assertion that the Marlins should adopt a color like the Eagles' midnight green as their "dark" color instead of black, said "So rather than a divisional rival, you'd prefer them to look more like the traditional look of the Tampa Bay Rays?" I responded that the Rays haven't worn green in over a decade, have had all of their success in navy/powder/yellow, and that the accent colors I wanted were markedly different from the Rays' old ones (orange, yellow, and light blue vs. black, royal blue, and silver). Always specify your antecedents, kids.

I'd say the pendulum has shifted the other way. Look through this thread at all of the people who want the Rays to go powder-first and the many people who've given up on wanted the Rays to return to dark green (not teal, look at Colorwerx's RGB numbers - it's the same shade of green the A's use). Besides, forest green/powder blue/yellow is worlds away from forest green/black/dark royal blue/silver. 

Also, good ribbing on me. I totally chose a bad reference photo to describe my desired color scheme.

Ah, I'm caught up now. 

I hate the new Marlins identity.. They're teal.. End of story.. Anything blue and orange is just a bad foray into misplaced art deco nonsense as far as I'm concerned.. The previous set had gotten away from its roots, but only needed tweaking.  The newer identity is a 2000's Mets wanna-be with bad fonts and logos

15 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

Dammit, and I just bought a black Mets one, I'll be mad if theres an orange or blue version lol

Well, get out your wallet.  Tonight at the ballpark, they had the Orioles fitted ones in both the orange and blue used by the Marlins, so undoubtedly they'll have them for all the teams.

54 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

Well, get out your wallet.  Tonight at the ballpark, they had the Orioles fitted ones in both the orange and blue used by the Marlins, so undoubtedly they'll have them for all the teams.

...dammit lol

On 6/19/2017 at 11:27 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Looks like this years Home Run Derby caps (weird see through mesh material, floral pattern bill), are about to drop in Orange AND Miami's blue color. 

I may end up even broker now.

5948c03d6cfcf_ScreenShot2017-06-19at11_24_44PM.png.417d47e072acfcaa3453fac86de2de53.png

Considering the heat wave some of us are going through right now (looking at you, Phoenix), these caps just might not be too bad.  I wonder how light they are?

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

1 hour ago, Ben in LA said:

Considering the heat wave some of us are going through right now (looking at you, Phoenix), these caps just might not be too bad.  I wonder how light they are?

The honeycomb stitched pattern isn't any more lightweight than a regular game cap.  It may be a little more breathable on the side panels and back but the front panel and brim are not. 

If the Dodgers ever do an All-Star Game, the all-gold hat logo, ASG logo, accents and star eyelets seem like a decent fit, as it gives off an Oscars-Hollywood vibe.  I think it'd be odd if New Era did the same thing for different ASGs, but I wouldn't be upset at it in that particular case, either.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Those patches have traditionally been glued on and can be peeled off. 

But does it leave a noticeable residue or mark?

I can live with the NE flag. I've got NFL, NHL, NCAA, NASCAR, and even MLB fashion caps that all have the flag on them, so while I wish they weren't on field, I can accept them. What I don't like is a patch that will inevitably remind me of how Corey Dickerson and Logan Morrison won't get voted into the All Star Game when everyone outside of New York, Boston, Chicago, and LA knows they should.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

On 6/21/2017 at 5:44 AM, WSU151 said:

If the Dodgers ever do an All-Star Game, the all-gold hat logo, ASG logo, accents and star eyelets seem like a decent fit, as it gives off an Oscars-Hollywood vibe.  I think it'd be odd if New Era did the same thing for different ASGs, but I wouldn't be upset at it in that particular case, either.

I'm surprised Dodger Stadium has hosted only one, while Anaheim has hosted THREE.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

I want one of the HRD caps, and asked the Rays store at Tropicana Field and they said they weren't getting them till next homestand. Then went to a Lids this week and they didn't have them either. The mesh is what I'm interested in because I'm not exactly sure how it'd fit or anything, so I didn't want to buy it online

Lots of Rays talk on the board, so I'll add an opinion of my own. I went to the Trop yesterday, and the sunburst was really reminding me of Walmart. Can we end the sunburst era and move incorporate the manta ray more?

IMG_2577.GIF

IMG_2576.JPG

2 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Lots of Rays talk on the board, so I'll add an opinion of my own. I went to the Trop yesterday, and the sunburst was really reminding me of Walmart. Can we end the sunburst era and move incorporate the manta ray more?

IMG_2577.GIF

IMG_2576.JPG

Completely off topic....As a former Walmart employee I have a theory.  Remember the Walmart smiley face..you haven't seen him since this Walmart logo came out.  My theory is a Walmart worker finally got tired of his "Walmart is so wonderful" attitude and shot him.  What you see there is the splat pattern that was left.  That's kind of place your brain goes after 17 years of Walmart.

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

Couple things

1) Rays burst is older than Walmart

2) Working here has opened my eyes to how phased out the sea animal Rays branding is compared to the sun Rays branding. The sting ray logo is on the sleeve which has carried over from previous branding, and the touch tank (which I hoped you checked out while here) predates the rebranding. Other than that, I can't name a single use of the stingray.

3) It was designed by Fanbrandz, who dunked on me on twitter when I thought the burst logo was the sun and a stingray, which would've been such cool double look.

594bdbadc3529_ScreenShot2017-06-22at10_59_35AM.thumb.png.fb1b9349fecb27b350c3f9a9a7a179fc.png

I like the burst a lot, like a lot a lot. I just wish the official graphic didn't have the white inside like the picture I tweeted. The white is hard to design with.

Eh, I still like the (devil) sting ray a whole lot better. It's always been a better logo to me and provided for a better identity altogether. Besides that, the sun ray logo itself has always looked really unbalanced and awkward on it's own. It looks okay when placed on the wordmark, but frankly looks terrible on a cap. It's not very versatile.

I think the Rays jumped the gun way too much with the initial rebrand. People had (stupid) trouble with "Devil"? Fine, just keep the stingray , drop "Devil" and officially call them the "Rays", and let it refer to any other kind of sea ray. They didn't have to pull "ooh now it's a sun ray!" out of a hat. It just seemed desperate, almost like Michael Scott freaking out in the infamous Office fire drill scene, but the branding version.

They also didn't have to go double blue either, but that's a different story.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 6/20/2017 at 7:18 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Wow.  Just goes to show you how the colors a color is featured alongside can change perception.  Even as I cycle between those two links, the green looks bluer on the Rays image than the A's one.

In my opinion the best is to go with the current look but accentuate the lighter blue and yellow more in the identity and uniforms.  Glad to see more people disagree with green.  The green/columbia combination I used to see all the time was horrific-looking to me.

4 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I'm surprised Dodger Stadium has hosted only one, while Anaheim has hosted THREE.

Huh.  That is strange.  They've got huge capacity.  They've hit big milestones in the park's history.  I know the Angels have seen three different All-Star Games in three different iterations of that park, while Dodger Stadium has seen mostly light aesthetic and seating changes.  Could it be a matter of infrastructure?  I've heard of Chavez Ravine being infamously tough to get in and out of.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Dodgers might not be terribly interested in hosting it.  They don't really need a marquee event to show off their franchise, their park, or their city.  I could see them determining that it's not worth the hassle.

The Mets have been around as long as Dodger Stadium and have only hosted twice.  The Yankees, Cardinals, and Tigers have each only hosted the game twice since Dodger Stadium opened, and for each of those the second time was in a brand-new ballpark.  

Heck, the Red Sox and Cubs have only hosted three times each in their entire history, and since Dodger Stadium opened they have each only hosted one All-Star Game. Looks like the Angels are more the outlier than the Dodgers.

7 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I'm just not feeling any of this ASG stuff. The game caps just strike me as corny. Why would I buy one when the teams' regular caps look better? 

Let's go back to regulars with a patch and call it a day.

Regulars would be good and best, but I liked what Minnesota and Cincinnati did. Team specific hats in team colours, but reflected the host city. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

3 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Regulars would be good and best, but I liked what Minnesota and Cincinnati did. Team specific hats in team colours, but reflected the host city. 

I completely agree. I would have loved to have seen Miami-themed ASG caps as opposed to generic gold. There were so many other different avenues they could have gone down for a unique design.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Dodgers might not be terribly interested in hosting it.  They don't really need a marquee event to show off their franchise, their park, or their city.  I could see them determining that it's not worth the hassle.

The Mets have been around as long as Dodger Stadium and have only hosted twice.  The Yankees, Cardinals, and Tigers have each only hosted the game twice since Dodger Stadium opened, and for each of those the second time was in a brand-new ballpark.  

Heck, the Red Sox and Cubs have only hosted three times each in their entire history, and since Dodger Stadium opened they have each only hosted one All-Star Game. Looks like the Angels are more the outlier than the Dodgers.

They've been giving all star games to the newer stadiums

i heard ned colletti (former gm, current tv duties) say sometimes cities are promised all star games as part of the deal for stadiums. 

Dodgers new ownership has also spent a ton of money on stadium improvements and i bet theyll be getting one soon

Archived