MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

7 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Those other three teams still have secondary colors.

There's nothing wrong with a team using white and one other color as their color scheme. The Yankees, Colts, Celtics, Maple Leafs, Red Wings, Nets, Jets, and a slew of colleges (Yale, Penn State, Nebraska, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, BYU, etc.) all do it, and quite beautifully in almost all those cases, might I add.

They're some of the best identities in sports, in fact, because they're simple, straightforward, and almost always elegant. Using white as a secondary color is perfectly fine (and in the case of the Reds, a great idea).

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I think the Reds, Dodgers, Yankees, and White Sox can get away with specifically saying white is a team color. Maybe the Royals too. Seems weird but one of my little tests on this is, you know the generic idea of a super fan painting their face to go to a game? The one that splits their face in two halves and colors one side of his face one team color and the other side the other team color? What two colors would be used for each team? If white makes sense then I'd say it's a viable choice as an actual team color.

Agreed.  White makes more sense for the Yankees and Dodgers than red would, although both teams have red in their scheme.

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Seems weird but one of my little tests on this is, you know the generic idea of a super fan painting their face to go to a game? The one that splits their face in two halves and colors one side of his face one team color and the other side the other team color? What two colors would be used for each team? If white makes sense then I'd say it's a viable choice as an actual team color.

That is a worthwhile test.  

It's interesting that New Jersey Devils superfan David Puddy used red and green, even though the team's current colours (as shown by his jersey) were red and black.

wearethedevils.jpeg

I think that a Padres superfan would probably use brown and yellow.  So green is to the Devils as brown is to the Padres -- namely, the team's true colour that the current management is foolish in ignoring.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Reds can use white more than other teams (i.e. white outlines on their road greys), therefore elevating it to secondary color status. Besides, not all teams need secondary colors.

Although the most memorable set of uniforms (i.e. the Big Red Machine era) had road grays with no white outline around the lettering or the numbers

Image result for 1976 reds

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

17 minutes ago, jch said:

Although the most memorable set of uniforms (i.e. the Big Red Machine era) had road grays with no white outline around the lettering or the numbers

Image result for 1976 reds

True, but I vastly prefer the second generation of those uniforms

eric-davis-of-the-cincinnati-reds-runnin

It cleaned up all the inconsistencies and the extra trimmings make it feel less..."Chico's Bailbonds Little League". It's always felt more major league to me. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just now, McCarthy said:

True, but I vastly prefer the second generation of those uniforms

eric-davis-of-the-cincinnati-reds-runnin

It cleaned up all the inconsistencies and the extra trimmings make it feel less..."Chico's Bailbonds Little League". It's always felt more major league to me. 

I have mixed emotions on this.  The 2nd generation definitely cleaned up the inconsistencies but I'm still partial to the old non-outlined look.  I actually think the pre-Big Red Machine version was the best.  

Click for larger image

I would love to see them go back to just red and white though.  That color scheme would be unique to them and would establish their identity better than the superfluous black does. 

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

Just now, jch said:

I have mixed emotions on this.  The 2nd generation definitely cleaned up the inconsistencies but I'm still partial to the old non-outlined look.  I actually think the pre-Big Red Machine version was the best.  

Click for larger image

I would love to see them go back to just red and white though.  That color scheme would be unique to them and would establish their identity better than the superfluous black does. 

I've said this dozens of times on this website, but yes absolutely. If they'd never changed to the pullover uniforms and even if they'd just gone back to those button ups in the late 80's/early 90's when everyone else was moving away from pullovers then they'd be regarded on the same level as the Cardinals/Dodgers/A's/Yankees etc. The pinstriped vests/hats took us down a direction that's led us through the uniform woods and right now I find our uniforms, which are ten years old (HARD TO BELIEVE) really stale and dated. 

It's also never too late to just correct course and go back to those pictured red and white button ups. Nobody would hold it against us. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I've said this dozens of times on this website, but yes absolutely. If they'd never changed to the pullover uniforms and even if they'd just gone back to those button ups in the late 80's/early 90's when everyone else was moving away from pullovers then they'd be regarded on the same level as the Cardinals/Dodgers/A's/Yankees etc. The pinstriped vests/hats took us down a direction that's led us through the uniform woods and right now I find our uniforms, which are ten years old (HARD TO BELIEVE) really stale and dated. 

It's also never too late to just correct course and go back to those pictured red and white button ups. Nobody would hold it against us. 

The irony is that the pinstripe vest was their uniform in one form or another from 1958-1966.  So it was part of their historical identity and not some random choice.  

I actually remember liking the current Reds uniforms when they came out because they got them away from the "black-first" look that they had pre-2007. The current uniforms at least brought red and white back to the forefront. DIdn't realize then as much as I do now that the black and the drop shadows especially still need to go. I guess they were a step in the right direction though.

I mean I think it's pretty much consensus that these are the worst the Reds have ever looked...

Image result for 2005 reds road uniforms

Did the Black Reds ever play the Black Blue Jays? hmmmm....

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I actually remember liking the current Reds uniforms when they came out because they got them away from the "black-first" look that they had pre-2007. The current uniforms at least brought red and white back to the forefront. DIdn't realize then as much as I do now that the black and the drop shadows especially still need to go. I guess they were a step in the right direction though.

I mean I think it's pretty much consensus that these are the worst the Reds have ever looked...

That particular jersey is missing an "I' right? 

YVRMUBj.png

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

When those particular road unis were introduced they were supposed to be paired with red undershirts.  The black band around the arm opening was a throwback to the Frank Robinson-era vest uniforms.  Unfortunately, they decided to wear the black undershirts almost full-time even with the home whites and it ruined the look. 

2 minutes ago, jch said:

When those particular road unis were introduced they were supposed to be paired with red undershirts.  The black band around the arm opening was a throwback to the Frank Robinson-era vest uniforms.  Unfortunately, they decided to wear the black undershirts almost full-time even with the home whites and it ruined the look. 

Ohh wow didn't know that, didn't even realize there was a black band there.

14 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Out of all the Spring Training jerseys, I think I like the Reds' one the most.

C4kwnH_VcAAtx1e.jpg

I'm surprised that the font works well in a one-color arrangement. Hopefully somebody takes a hint, and the Reds follow in the steps of the Mets, Blue Jays, and Lions in dropping black. 

I still don't know what the Mets were thinking trading Dilson Herrera...

YVRMUBj.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

wearethedevils.jpeg

"Gotta support the team."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Padres owner went on the radio yesterday and said that their all important focus group research was actually done before they changed uniforms in 2012 (here's where I note that the Bring Back the Brown movement didn't really start till 2010) and that he's never actually seen it. 

This is why I don't allow myself to have sharp objects around my desk here at work.

Archived