MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

2 minutes ago, TVIXX said:

Ugh.  I guess it provides contrast against the navy jersey...but on its own, that hat isn't good.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologize if this was mentioned and I overlooked it, but the Cardinals are going with a 3D logo on their helmets this year.  http://www.12up.com/posts/4582925-cardinals-making-significant-change-to-helmets-for-2017-season?a_aid=36534

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.53.54 PM.jpg

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

1 hour ago, HighCheese said:

No they werent

54 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Last year was the gray sweatbands and inside fabric, which is probably what he's remembering.

Yeah I own a Marlins 2016 ST cap and I could swear I remember gray but maybe I'm wrong, I'll check when I get home but you guys are probably right. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

I really didn't like the Dodgers raised helmet logo last year at all, but this one on the Cardinals helmet is hitting me somewhat better.  I guess I'm just being an old fogey, but I wish they'd all just stick with shiny helmets and decals, though.  

I'm the opposite. I liked the Dodgers one (still prefer old decals though). And I really do not like the raised StL. 

TaxSlayer Bowl_sig.png

1 hour ago, krunyan said:

I'm the opposite. I liked the Dodgers one (still prefer old decals though). And I really do not like the raised StL. 

Agreed. If this the "modern twist" MLB has decided on for that piece of batting helmet real estate, then so be it. I'll remain pleasantly surprised every season the league doesn't decide to turn the batting helmet into a wild statement piece (like CFB helmet/hockey goalie mask) or billboard of some sort. 

9 hours ago, TVIXX said:

I thought they already had three.  Standard current M.  Alternate navy and gold BiG.  Throwback royal and gold BiG.

8 hours ago, CardsFan79 said:

I apologize if this was mentioned and I overlooked it, but the Cardinals are going with a 3D logo on their helmets this year.  http://www.12up.com/posts/4582925-cardinals-making-significant-change-to-helmets-for-2017-season?a_aid=36534

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.53.54 PM.jpg

What a difference an outline makes.  The extra outline makes this look a lot better and more durable than the Dodgers' helmets.  Could it be that there's an intermediate level of thickness, making the whole thing look less raised, since it gets to the same place in stages rather than just being a sheer drop off?  Is it that the edges are rounded rather than sharp?  Is it that this helmet looks a lot glossier than the Dodgers'?  I don't know if the Dodgers were matte or not, but they never looked this shiny.  There's a number of possibilities for why this looks better, but I definitely think it does.

3.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Never mind. 

Edit: i think the phillies could benefit from this treatment, so long as they don't go matte. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/15/2017 at 7:34 AM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I wholeheartedly disagree on a few points.  First of all, some teams... most teams have a third color.  Secondly, while white may be slight on some uniforms like the Tigers' away and the Orioles' alt, I think a major point you're overlooking here is the cap insignia.  The Tiger's home cap colors are navy and white.

Here's my appraisal of the teams' colors.

BAL - Black/Orange/White

BOS - Red/Navy/White

NYY - Navy/White/....Gray/....Red (It's just... weird.  I know.)

TB - Navy/White/Columbia/....Yellow  (Columbia should be the team's secondary color, but instead is used to accent white on the cap and uniform)

TOR - Royal/White/Red (Red really should barely qualify, but it is on the logo and they wear their national pride well.)

CWS - Black/White/Silver

CLE - Navy/Red/White (All silver got replaced with white in 2008)

DET - Navy/Orange/White

KC - Royal/White/....Powder/....Gold

MIN - Navy/Red/White....Gold

HOU - Navy/Orange/White

LAA - Red/White/....Silver/....Navy

OAK - Green/Gold/White

SEA - Navy/Teal/White/Silver

TEX - Royal/Red/White or Red/Royal/White (Depending on the day.  Colors of the state flag.)

ATL - Navy/Red/White

NYM - Royal/Orange/White (Prominently featured in their blue alternates.  Also meaningful as the colors of the city flag.)

MIA - Black/Orange/White/Silver/...Blue/...Yellow

PHI - Red/White/...Blue

WAS - Red/Navy/White

CHC - Royal/Red/White

CIN - Red/White/Black

MIL - Navy/Gold/White

PIT - Black/Gold/White/....Red (Lessened, but still featured on the sleeve logo and their retired numbers.)

STL - Red/Navy/White

ARI - Black/Sedona/Sand/Teal

COL - Black/Purple/Silver

LAD - Royal/White/....Red

SD - Navy/White/Silver

SF - Black/Orange/Gold/Sand

We can certainly agree to disagree, but to be clear, I'm not overlooking anything.. giving weight to white as a "cap insignia" color is like giving weight to a dark jersey's number color.. White simply stands out very well against pretty much all medium and dark colors, plus it's neutral, so it's a great choice for teams to add to help their cap logos "pop" more without adding additional colors to their palette.. 

You included AT LEAST 3 colors for EVERY team.. Imo, that shows exactly why white shouldn't be included in every team's official colors simply because they use it sparingly. And to your point, you'd have to include navy for Toronto (cap insignia), red for Milwaukee (primary logo), the second shade of red for the Angels (primary logo/cap insignia), grey for the Mets (alt cap insignia/alt jersey), grey/lighter orange/lighter blue for Houston (cap insignias/primary logo), and I could go on and on.. The point being that the use of white for visual clarity doesn't automatically elevate it to "official team color" status.. At least in my opinion... I just refuse to accept that EVERY team shares at least official color..

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I thought they already had three.  Standard current M.  Alternate navy and gold BiG.  Throwback royal and gold BiG.

What a difference an outline makes.  The extra outline makes this look a lot better and more durable than the Dodgers' helmets.  Could it be that there's an intermediate level of thickness, making the whole thing look less raised, since it gets to the same place in stages rather than just being a sheer drop off?  Is it that the edges are rounded rather than sharp?  Is it that this helmet looks a lot glossier than the Dodgers'?  I don't know if the Dodgers were matte or not, but they never looked this shiny.  There's a number of possibilities for why this looks better, but I definitely think it does.

3.jpg

The Cardinals' version is a raised rubber logo, while the Dodgers' version is a 3D-printed plastic material.. That's why the Cardinals' logo is so smooth and accurate looking, while the Dodgers' logos looks so rigid, sharp, and overly-precise.. It's also why they break so much.. I don't expect to see any of those issues with the Cardinals this year

Archived