MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

7 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

I don't undercropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpgtand why you would be upcropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpget about thicropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpg.  The only reacropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpgon they're doing it icropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpg becaucropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpge it lookcropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpg nice.

But it looks like acropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpgcropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpg.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

you can ask Miami and Arizona how trying something new's worked out

It's worked out way better here in Miami than it has in Arizona. You can learn to embrace the Miami look and still love the old Florida look but I don't see anyway to learn to embrace the DBacks' new look if you didn't love it day one. Biased Marlins fan here though.

47 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Over in the NHL thread, someone had mentioned allowing home-and-road alternates, which I said would inevitably lead to teams creating two separate identities, usually one throwback, and the other their primary "current" identity.

Baseball, with its lack of limits on quantity of uniforms, is exemplary of this. The White Sox, Brewers, Mariners, and Padres (and arguably the Diamondbacks) have all created two separate parallel identities, trying to be all things to all people at all times. It's one thing to wear a throwback for a couple one-off games (or maybe even as a full-time alt if it doesn't conflict much with the full-time identity). It's another to carve out multiple identities. Baseball has a huge identity crisis problem right now thanks to this absurdity.

Yes this bothers me immensely. Nothing wrong with a designated day and/or uniform to be a throwback day or theme but when you can't figure out which look is a team's primary look it bothers me. Even with the other mentioned teams' identity problems you could probably guess what they will wear on Opening Day. The Brewers on the other hand might very well do the navy BiG on Opening Day and that shouldn't be unless they drop the wheat M look entirely.

26 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

I agree but I'd also add that a lot of it is due to fan nostalgia. They're clamoring for forty year old looks and the team obliges them halfway because it's a lot easier and profitable than creating and sticking with something new (you can ask Miami and Arizona how trying something new's worked out). 

Of course it's driven by nostalgia, but if you want to give the fans what they want, then update the old look within a contemporary and cohesive identity. Build a brown-and-gold identity for the Padres, and royal blue-and-athletic gold identity for the Brewers, etc.

Rather than digging your feet in with an unpopular color scheme or identity, while selling throwbacks on the side, a truly effective identity would incorporate the colors and designs to which fans feel an attachment.

I'm guessing that some teams feel that they can sell more merch if they essentially have two different identities (for instance, the Pads can sell both navy and brown/gold merch now), which may sometimes be true, but I do think that a well-designed primary jersey incorporating a team's historical and traditional look would sell amazingly well, in most cases. 

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

I'm guessing that some teams feel that they can sell more merch if they essentially have two different identities (for instance, the Pads can sell both navy and brown/gold merch now)

This definitely feels like the leading cause for this dilemma. I feel an underlying issue for many, like the Padres and likely the Brewers too, is also ownership not wanting to admit that their more recent identities are worse so they want to force their identities in along with the throwback identities. Like the Padres ownership basically saying "you can love brown all you want but we're too stubborn to give up on the navy and white so here's both, oh and eat some camo and some navy and orange while we're at it too"

And ya know, when it comes to rebranding to an unpopular look, I appreciate some consistency and some pride and some conviction. If a franchise absolutely believes they have the right look in a rebrand despite what the people say, then please, stick to it. The Miami Marlins have refused to mix in their teal identity with their recent rebranding and, without putting down the quality of the Florida look, I can appreciate that level of stubbornness.

Mark my words on this prediction... In the long run, the Marlins' Miami identity will, even with all its detractors, be a stronger and clearer identity than the Brewers wheat look, the Padres navy and white look, and the DBacks subliminated snakeskin look because they aren't confusing their fan base by throwing in a retro look all the time. When you look at the team's time in the early years of Marlins Park, there is ONE clear identity whether anyone likes the identity or not and I think many of us can appreciate that.

18 minutes ago, roxfan00 said:

That Rockies purple is really bright imo.

Yes but it seems that pictures are making them look brighter than they really are. I say this because I think that, outside of being there in person, video has been the more truer look at the color. Pictures can easily be manipulated to emphasize the purple. All the video footage I've seen of the new purple has made them look better while still being clearly purple but not being a ball of brightness. I think a pretty clear sign that something is up with the pictures is in the second picture that you posted where the wordmarks on both Gonzalez and Desmond seem to look pink, while, not two feet away from them, the wordmark on Arenado is a more obvious black/white/silver. So something odd is definitely going on there.

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

Of course it's driven by nostalgia, but if you want to give the fans what they want, then update the old look within a contemporary and cohesive identity. Build a brown-and-gold identity for the Padres, and royal blue-and-athletic gold identity for the Brewers, etc.

Rather than digging your feet in with an unpopular color scheme or identity, while selling throwbacks on the side, a truly effective identity would incorporate the colors and designs to which fans feel an attachment.

I'm guessing that some teams feel that they can sell more merch if they essentially have two different identities (for instance, the Pads can sell both navy and brown/gold merch now), which may sometimes be true, but I do think that a well-designed primary jersey incorporating a team's historical and traditional look would sell amazingly well, in most cases. 

Except outside of the new jersey and hat, the Padres don't really sell any new brown stuff. Most of what they have in brown, and yellow for that matter, is based on throwbacks. 

20 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Except outside of the new jersey and hat, the Padres don't really sell any new brown stuff. Most of what they have in brown, and yellow for that matter, is based on throwbacks. 

And I'd bet if they went with a brown/yellow color scheme full time, they'd sell a ton of home jerseys and alternates, in addition to keeping up strong sales of the 70's/80's brown/orange/yellow throwback stuff (both among older fans nostalgic for that era, and younger fans who wear throwback gear as a fashion statement).

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't imagine the super-generic blue gear is selling all that well, except for the blue cap. It didn't seem well-received by Pads fans, and was terribly derivative from their other recent uniforms (lessening the "need" to go out and buy updated gear).

FWIW, this is emblematic of the problems with continually changing a team's identity and color scheme, and diluting the brand by having transient and overlapping identities. The Padres will never be able to satisfy all their fans in terms of their identity. There's always going to be a very strong contingent who want to bring back the brown (who themselves are divided into brown/yellow and brown/orange camps), fans who want to bring back the navy and orange, fans who want to settle on navy/yellow, fans who want pinstripes back, fans who want to go back to the blue/red PCL days, fans who inexplicably love camo, etc.

The Pads can wear 10 different jerseys with 10 different designs/color schemes, and leave every segment of that fanbase unsatisfied, since it isn't their preferred identity that's front and center. Or they can choose one that seems the most popular (or has the best potential to win over the entire fanbase), and at least try to satisfy the largest share of fans possible. But we'd never even be having this discussion if they stuck with a single color scheme for most or all of their history. I can say the same for the Brewers, Rays, Astros, and Diamondbacks as well (albeit to a much lesser degree than the Pads).

Maybe but the Padres moved away from brown in the first place because the players and manufacturers disliked it. Also, no one really cared about the brown until ~10 years ago, which is an argument for and against picking a color and sticking with it. Tastes change and what was good enough for 15 years (navy blue) isn't anymore in San Diego.

3 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I believe its because if the team offered equal brown vs blue items, the stadium would be filled with brown and embarrass the owners who claim (without any facts) that a majority of the fans want blue instead of brown. You only have to look at the record sales for the All Star game brown/yellow merchandise to see that combo is the true favorite. 

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I believe its because if the team offered equal brown vs blue items, the stadium would be filled with brown and embarrass the owners who claim (without any facts) that a majority of the fans want blue instead of brown. You only have to look at the record sales for the All Star game brown/yellow merchandise to see that combo is the true favorite. 

Considering how stubborn and short sighted sports owners can be, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the real reason 

3 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Los Angeles Rams

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

32 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

Los Angeles Rams

Must be a SoCal thing...

Rams fans want royal/yellow and team gives them navy/white

Chargers fans want powder blue and team gives them navy

Padres fans want brown and team gives them navy

Are there other teams around where the fan base wants something that ownership so blatantly disregards?

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Must be a SoCal thing...

Chargers fans want powder blue and team gives them navy

Are there other teams around where the fan base wants something that ownership so blatantly disregards?

Milwaukee Brewers. First thing I think of about this subject

12 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Great point. Maybe worthy of another topic (or it may fizzle quickly)? Teams whose fanbases want colors other than those that ownership gives them. 

Its sad that this occurs  so frequently that you can make a whole topic about it

22 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Must be a SoCal thing...

Chargers fans want powder blue and team leaves

Fixed that for you :P

spacer.png

Archived