MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The royal blue BiG is superior than the navy blue BiG for the Brewers BUT if they actually committed to the navy blue BiG for a significant amount of time (more than a decade) I could deal with the navy blue one because it's not ugly in a vacuum, we're just so used to the royal blue one. They'd have to commit to it and, sadly, would actually have to drastically decrease their use of the royal blue one, even in throwbacks.

You can't wear a decent color scheme and make it an identity if you keep wearing a superior color scheme multiple times a week.

Say what you will about the Miami Marlins rebrand, but any success it's had is probably helped by them not wearing their old teal jerseys multiple times a week and in batting practice as throwbacks like the Brewers do.

It'd be like starting a relationship with a good person while visiting your better looking ex multiple times a week. Yeah, that's exactly it!

Two years ago, I bought this throwback Braves cap at the 40th anniversary of Hank Aaron's 715th and home opener. At the time, it bugged me the NE logo was on the cap since it wasn't on the game caps and that the patch was on the other side since usually event patches go on the NE side. But now that the maker's mark is here to stay and patches go on that side, I guess I bought an authentic cap of the future! Who'd have thunk I'd be so lucky?

Last part in jest. Also, not my photos, found them on an eBay listing.

IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

Thus begins my annual vigil to see if the Cincinnati Reds will get their act together (especially with respect to their road unis and hats), only to be ultimately disappointed.  The 2016 season saw them use their red alternate for all days games and even some night games (when it was introduced, it was supposed to be Sundays only, if I recall correctly).  At this point, I would be comfortable with just the addition of a new alt if it were to be a step in the right direction.

9 hours ago, The SHOW said:

I've been hearing rumors that the Angels are changing uniforms next season

If so, good...most likely. Hopefully they've figured out that they look better as a navy and red team (in that order), instead of a red team with just a hint of navy trim. No need to mess with the current "A", save for switching the halo from silver to gold.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

4 hours ago, Beeperino said:

Thus begins my annual vigil to see if the Cincinnati Reds will get their act together (especially with respect to their road unis and hats), only to be ultimately disappointed.  The 2016 season saw them use their red alternate for all days games and even some night games (when it was introduced, it was supposed to be Sundays only, if I recall correctly).  At this point, I would be comfortable with just the addition of a new alt if it were to be a step in the right direction.

I believe that it has been this way for a while. Reds during the day at home, white otherwise. 

That said, and I'm glad to admit it. I like the black bills on the road hats. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

3 hours ago, The Mojo Maniac said:

If so, good...most likely. Hopefully they've figured out that they look better as a navy and red team (in that order), instead of a red team with just a hint of navy trim. No need to mess with the current "A", save for switching the halo from silver to gold.

Red cap won't be so bad if the logo wasn't Red I'm all for the Navy cap and they should've kept the gold halo after their 50th season 

The Angels need a navy cap with a red bill, and I honestly wouldn't mind if they in-cooperated a little bit of gold into their identity to distance themselves from the other red and blue teams in the league. I can take or leave the rest of the uniform elements.

3 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The Angels need a navy cap with a red bill, and I honestly wouldn't mind if they in-cooperated a little bit of gold into their identity to distance themselves from the other red and blue teams in the league. I can take or leave the rest of the uniform elements.

I'm also curious to see how an addition of a yellow would look. I disagree with the navy caps. MLB already has too many navy/blue caps as it is.

12 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I believe that it has been this way for a while. Reds during the day at home, white otherwise. 

This season they started wearing their red alternates for home night games when Dan Straily pitched so I guess we're one of those teams that caters to the whims of the starting pitcher. It'll only be a matter of time before you see it on the road. I don't like it one bit. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

36 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

This season they started wearing their red alternates for home night games when Dan Straily pitched so I guess we're one of those teams that caters to the whims of the starting pitcher. It'll only be a matter of time before you see it on the road. I don't like it one bit. 

Amen. My point was mainly that the red alt has been creeping into more and more games.  I didn't notice it seemed to correspond with Straily starts, but I did notice them being worn during night games. As someone who came of age in the '80s and '90s, I still associate the red jerseys with spring training and batting practice. 

The black-billed road hats have always looked weird to me, even going back to their introduction in '99.  They look like "fashion" hats.  Even the red-billed black hat of that era (with all its white dropshadowed faults) was still closer to what the Reds have worn over the course of their history.

The current road set just makes my eyes hurt.  The wordmark is way too busy and makes my eyes hurt.  I'm not against using black, I just wish it was minimized for the on-field stuff.

3 minutes ago, Beeperino said:

Amen. My point was mainly that the red alt has been creeping into more and more games.  I didn't notice it seemed to correspond with Straily starts, but I did notice them being worn during night games. As someone who came of age in the '80s and '90s, I still associate the red jerseys with spring training and batting practice. 

The black-billed road hats have always looked weird to me, even going back to their introduction in '99.  They look like "fashion" hats.  Even the red-billed black hat of that era (with all its white dropshadowed faults) was still closer to what the Reds have worn over the course of their history.

The current road set just makes my eyes hurt.  The wordmark is way too busy and makes my eyes hurt.  I'm not against using black, I just wish it was minimized for the on-field stuff.

I think we're on the same page here regarding our team. My ideal Reds uniform would include no black at all and would either be a buttoned version of the 1990 uniforms or the uniforms they wore right before the Big Red Machine pullovers. 

The only thing I like about the current road uniforms is the red-white-red piping on the pants and sleeves. That base is a good place to start, but I'm tired of the cutesy old timey font. I call it the 1860's Baseball Theme Park font. It now feels unbecoming of a franchise of their history and age. I, like you, also don't like the black billed hat. The road uniform would be improved without it and I know this because half the time they're wearing the road uniform they're wearing all red batting helmets!

The red jerseys were fine as a once every two weeks thing. Every home day game became overkill and means that they wear their best uniform, the home whites, less often. They wear the home whites less often than they wear the road grays. 

I'd be cool if they went back to this and pretended the last 25 years didn't happen

johnny-bench-hof-1.jpgartpp-sa03-130003_l_prodimage.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

46 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I'd be cool if they went back to this and pretended the last 25 years didn't happen

johnny-bench-hof-1.jpgartpp-sa03-130003_l_prodimage.jpg

On that road uniform, the only tweak I'd make would be to either add a white outline to the numbers/NOB's (big-letter NOB's by the way, I love that design quirk), or to adopt the design that had no white outlines:

gf_newheros_auc45_rose.jpg

Also, I'd keep the black cleats. Not every red-dominant team needs to have red shoes.

Archived