MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

6 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

Didn't get a chance to do a screen shot but yeah, I hate these Stance socks. They look awful. 

Watching the A's game today and the pitcher Jesse Hahn has Stance socks on. Teammate Rajai Davis is wearing traditional stirrups. Not a fan of having socks that aren't uniform. 

It's no different than the 4-5 different sock styles they use to wear at the same time.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

"The hill compensates for the short left field distance" - then build a normal left field!  It's not like they were limited by small city blocks - hell, it's houston - they could have built an acre-sized park and still had extra room.  They intentionally built a wacky park just to have uniquity, but what they got was garbage.  The train?  For a team named "Astros"?  Come on.  A hill - with a flag pole in play?  Absurd.  

They were.  That's what I was trying to explain when talking about Union Station.

maxresdefault.jpg

There's no more room.  If they didn't have to structurally support the track for the roof, they could pop the outfield and seating into where that diamond is, but they can't.  Even if they didn't have to fully support that one area, they'd end up with an overhang that could cause issues, and be really awkward.

In the end, I'd rather they have some unique look than the warehouses in other cities even if they screwed up the execution in places.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I like ballparks to be distinct from one another, but Minute Maid Park is (was?) nothing but contrivances.

The other thing is that they loaded all the gimmicks into left and center field. Right field is just a big dark corner.

It's an unfortunate necessity to allow vehicle access.  I wish they'd put a bullpen in right and just put the vehicle access under the wall, but I don't know if they've got the clearance.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As a hockey/football fan, I always found the different outfield dimensions a little curious... but it blows my mind that a team in the modern era was allowed to build a park where an outfielder could have to run up a hill and avoid a flag pole in order to get a ball.

Don't get me wrong -- varying outfield dimensions, wind/air conditions, and even grass length are part of why baseball is great. But a hill with a flagpole for the sake of a hill with a flagpole takes you from navigating the natural idiosyncrasies of the physical world to Family Double Dare. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Credit to masterchaoss from reddit and also here

IMG_3236.PNGWas just wondering if the dodgers will have a new alt?

apparently on MLB the Show theyve always had one, but it was the BP blue jersey

on this year's version, someone on Dodgers reddit and here, masterchaoss, noticed on a youtube stream the addition of a blue alt

now, could be nothing. I get that

but theres two things thatnare interesting and why im asking here.

1. The LA patch on the sleeve indicates not just a BP jersey

2. There's also an option for BP home jersey anyways

So is this just a videogame thing, or is there something to this? Thanks guys

4 minutes ago, HighCheese said:

on this year's version, someone on Dodgers reddit noticed on a youtube stream the addition of a blue alt

No idea if it's an official change or not...

but damn that Jersey is beautiful. I'd be down for it being like a Friday alt or something

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

19 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

No idea if it's an official change or not...

but damn that Jersey is beautiful. I'd be down for it being like a Friday alt or something

Id be down for the spring training D hat as a road alt

It would look really good with the road "alts"(they might as well be primaries with the Dodgers script)

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Don't get me wrong -- varying outfield dimensions, wind/air conditions, and even grass length are part of why baseball is great. But a hill with a flagpole for the sake of a hill with a flagpole takes you from navigating the natural idiosyncrasies of the physical world to Family Double Dare. 

I'm all for putting Bernie Brewer on the Sundae Slide, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

36 minutes ago, HighCheese said:

on this year's version, someone on Dodgers reddit noticed on a youtube stream the addition of a blue alt

Yeah that was me, I also posted it here as well with some evidenced from the mlb shop that have the jerseys listed as an alternate separate from the spring training jerseys a few pages back. 

I do think these would make a good once a week alt as well, I just fear the Dodgers might go overboard with these like they did with the road alts.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

8 minutes ago, masterchaoss said:

Yeah that was me, I also posted it here as well with some evidenced from the mlb shop that have the jerseys listed as an alternate separate from the spring training jerseys a few pages back. 

I do think these would make a good once a week alt as well, I just fear the Dodgers might go overboard with these like they did with the road alts.

Great man! I really hope your onto something

im going to edit my post

On 2/25/2017 at 6:06 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

They were.  That's what I was trying to explain when talking about Union Station.

maxresdefault.jpg

There's no more room.  If they didn't have to structurally support the track for the roof, they could pop the outfield and seating into where that diamond is, but they can't.  Even if they didn't have to fully support that one area, they'd end up with an overhang that could cause issues, and be really awkward.

In the end, I'd rather they have some unique look than the warehouses in other cities even if they screwed up the execution in places.

It's an unfortunate necessity to allow vehicle access.  I wish they'd put a bullpen in right and just put the vehicle access under the wall, but I don't know if they've got the clearance.

What's on the other side?  Parking lot?  Couldn't they have just built it 20 feet more in that direction?  I know that teams like home plate to face a certain direction based on the sun, but it looks like there's a million other ways they could have designed it to give themselves enough room to build a less micky-mousey park.  Seems like they created the problem themselves.

Off topic - I never realized that those ugly glass panels were attached to the roof and that the outfield is actually open when the roof is.  Does it actually feel like an open-air park when the roof is open?  I think this photo might be the first time I've seen it that way. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What's on the other side?  Parking lot?  Couldn't they have just built it 20 feet more in that direction?  I know that teams like home plate to face a certain direction based on the sun, but it looks like there's a million other ways they could have designed it to give themselves enough room to build a less micky-mousey park.  Seems like they created the problem themselves.

Off topic - I never realized that those ugly glass panels were attached to the roof and that the outfield is actually open when the roof is.  Does it actually feel like an open-air park when the roof is open?  I think this photo might be the first time I've seen it that way. 

Yep clearly enough room to expand on the other side 

IMG_3397.PNG

Ok so then yeah - they solved a problem that they intentionally created. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived