TVIXX

MLB Changes 2017

Recommended Posts

SilverBullet1929    1,030
12 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

So... they basically did the TV version of a read one would do on the radio.  Interesting.

Yeah basically. I "liked" it. Right away I was like, well hey why don't we do this more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yippy    107

Perhaps you would be so kind to point me in the direction of the unpopular opinion thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,543
14 hours ago, Yippy said:

Perhaps you would be so kind to point me in the direction of the unpopular opinion thread?

 

Seriously?  Look at the first page of threads on the Sports Logos board.  Can't miss it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBullet1929    1,030

Here's the in game "global sponsors" ad display they're doing in the wbc. This one happened after a strikeout when the batter is walking towards the dugout and the next hitter is making his walkup. This took about 15 seconds, no reason they can't do this in MLB eventually.

 

20170307_065115.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leopard88    1,029

I have seen similar ads  run during soccer matches.

 

fox-sports-soccer-advertising.jpg

 

I can remember World Cup matches in the '80s where the screen would be shrunk briefly an ad would be placed around the image.  I particularly remember Budweiser ads.  If memory serves me, those ads wrapped all the way around the screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmac11281    1,133
3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I have seen similar ads  run during soccer matches.

 

fox-sports-soccer-advertising.jpg

 

I can remember World Cup matches in the '80s where the screen would be shrunk briefly an ad would be placed around the image.  I particularly remember Budweiser ads.  If memory serves me, those ads wrapped all the way around the screen.

Didn't certain networks do that for NFL and college football games too? IIRC it may have been for scores and/or ads. I'm thinking 80s into the early 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leopard88    1,029
20 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Didn't certain networks do that for NFL and college football games too? IIRC it may have been for scores and/or ads. I'm thinking 80s into the early 90s.

 

Maybe.  I just remember it from '80s soccer because it was a way for the networks to avoid going 45-50 minutes between commercials.  The next step was attaching sponsor names/logos to the scorebug . . . kind of like the picture above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cujo    2,468

Based on the 2015 Giants and 2016 Royals: What do we know about the Cubs wearing this patch (or any patch commemorating their World Series title) on their jerseys this season?

85351-chicago-cubs-world-champions-2016-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Didn't certain networks do that for NFL and college football games too? IIRC it may have been for scores and/or ads. I'm thinking 80s into the early 90s.

 

For a couple episodes in the Summer of 2016 they had those commercial free moments during WWE Smackdown. It was great because commercials during a match ruins the interest and the flow. It happened during the 2016 MLB Playoffs too on FS1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CitizenTino    148
11 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

 

For a couple episodes in the Summer of 2016 they had those commercial free moments during WWE Smackdown. It was great because commercials during a match ruins the interest and the flow. It happened during the 2016 MLB Playoffs too on FS1.

 

Somehow, though, no one has ever gotten pinned during a commercial break. It's uncanny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cujo said:

Based on the 2015 Giants and 2016 Royals: What do we know about the Cubs wearing this patch (or any patch commemorating their World Series title) on their jerseys this season?

85351-chicago-cubs-world-champions-2016-

 

I love the Cubs going for the simplistic classic look.  I only question their choice of palette?  Why go for the faux retro cream, navy, and scarlet when they are a classic team with a classic color scheme?  They should have had it in their colors.  This is more a move for Tampa Bay or Arizona 30's fauxbacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cujo    2,468
43 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 Why go for the faux retro cream, navy, and scarlet when they are a classic team with a classic color scheme?  They should have had it in their colors. 

 

Their choice of color goes back to their 1907 championship logo, which they clearly tried to replicate.

 

229877361_tp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

 

Somehow, though, no one has ever gotten pinned during a commercial break. It's uncanny!

 

It actually happened in 2002 or something once. I believe it was an accident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ice_Cap    7,789
7 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

 

Somehow, though, no one has ever gotten pinned during a commercial break. It's uncanny!

They did all the time in early 80s NWA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

Somehow, though, no one has ever gotten pinned during a commercial break. It's uncanny!

 

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

It actually happened in 2002 or something once. I believe it was an accident.

 

It happened last year or the year before some time, I think during a Cesaro match.  Back when they had the app where you could watch the action during the commercials.  It was only once, but the announcers bandied about how much you need to download the app so you don't miss the action.

 

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

Their choice of color goes back to their 1907 championship logo, which they clearly tried to replicate.

229877361_tp.jpg

 

Huh.  Whaddaya know?  Well done Cubs.  I'm surprised this is the first time I'm hearing about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cujo    2,468

I'd rather the 1907 replica, but the Cubs could also go with their "given" championship logo, ala SF & KC in recent years -- Or just not wear a patch at all.

s-l500.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ark    655

This is where the Pirates and Cardinals will be playing a game in the summer

 

Bowman Field in Williamsport

 

Bowman_Field_Panorama.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TVIXX    220

Is Marlins park using blue walls instead of green walls or is it just for the world baseball classic?

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstroBull21    568
5 minutes ago, TVIXX said:

Is Marlins park using blue walls instead of green walls or is it just for the world baseball classic?

image.jpg

Yup and it's to standardize the walls between all host sites by color.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do remember them cladding the walls of major league parks in past years.  Any specific reason why they'd standardise walls besides aesthetics and marketing?  I'd think it would look better to have a different wall color for each pool and then combine them at the final tournament site.  What I'm more focused on is that they seem to be cladding the Clevelander area with matching tarps.  That I don't understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now