MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Yippy said:

Perhaps you would be so kind to point me in the direction of the unpopular opinion thread?

Seriously?  Look at the first page of threads on the Sports Logos board.  Can't miss it.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Here's the in game "global sponsors" ad display they're doing in the wbc. This one happened after a strikeout when the batter is walking towards the dugout and the next hitter is making his walkup. This took about 15 seconds, no reason they can't do this in MLB eventually.

20170307_065115.jpg

I have seen similar ads  run during soccer matches.

fox-sports-soccer-advertising.jpg

I can remember World Cup matches in the '80s where the screen would be shrunk briefly an ad would be placed around the image.  I particularly remember Budweiser ads.  If memory serves me, those ads wrapped all the way around the screen.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I have seen similar ads  run during soccer matches.

fox-sports-soccer-advertising.jpg

I can remember World Cup matches in the '80s where the screen would be shrunk briefly an ad would be placed around the image.  I particularly remember Budweiser ads.  If memory serves me, those ads wrapped all the way around the screen.

Didn't certain networks do that for NFL and college football games too? IIRC it may have been for scores and/or ads. I'm thinking 80s into the early 90s.

20 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Didn't certain networks do that for NFL and college football games too? IIRC it may have been for scores and/or ads. I'm thinking 80s into the early 90s.

Maybe.  I just remember it from '80s soccer because it was a way for the networks to avoid going 45-50 minutes between commercials.  The next step was attaching sponsor names/logos to the scorebug . . . kind of like the picture above.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Based on the 2015 Giants and 2016 Royals: What do we know about the Cubs wearing this patch (or any patch commemorating their World Series title) on their jerseys this season?

85351-chicago-cubs-world-champions-2016-

6uXNWAo.png

16 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

For a couple episodes in the Summer of 2016 they had those commercial free moments during WWE Smackdown. It was great because commercials during a match ruins the interest and the flow. It happened during the 2016 MLB Playoffs too on FS1.

bSLCtu2.png

11 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

For a couple episodes in the Summer of 2016 they had those commercial free moments during WWE Smackdown. It was great because commercials during a match ruins the interest and the flow. It happened during the 2016 MLB Playoffs too on FS1.

Somehow, though, no one has ever gotten pinned during a commercial break. It's uncanny!

12 hours ago, Cujo said:

Based on the 2015 Giants and 2016 Royals: What do we know about the Cubs wearing this patch (or any patch commemorating their World Series title) on their jerseys this season?

85351-chicago-cubs-world-champions-2016-

I love the Cubs going for the simplistic classic look.  I only question their choice of palette?  Why go for the faux retro cream, navy, and scarlet when they are a classic team with a classic color scheme?  They should have had it in their colors.  This is more a move for Tampa Bay or Arizona 30's fauxbacks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Why go for the faux retro cream, navy, and scarlet when they are a classic team with a classic color scheme?  They should have had it in their colors. 

Their choice of color goes back to their 1907 championship logo, which they clearly tried to replicate.

229877361_tp.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

7 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

Somehow, though, no one has ever gotten pinned during a commercial break. It's uncanny!

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

It actually happened in 2002 or something once. I believe it was an accident.

It happened last year or the year before some time, I think during a Cesaro match.  Back when they had the app where you could watch the action during the commercials.  It was only once, but the announcers bandied about how much you need to download the app so you don't miss the action.

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

Their choice of color goes back to their 1907 championship logo, which they clearly tried to replicate.

229877361_tp.jpg

Huh.  Whaddaya know?  Well done Cubs.  I'm surprised this is the first time I'm hearing about this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd rather the 1907 replica, but the Cubs could also go with their "given" championship logo, ala SF & KC in recent years -- Or just not wear a patch at all.

s-l500.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

5 minutes ago, TVIXX said:

Is Marlins park using blue walls instead of green walls or is it just for the world baseball classic?

image.jpg

Yup and it's to standardize the walls between all host sites by color.  

I do remember them cladding the walls of major league parks in past years.  Any specific reason why they'd standardise walls besides aesthetics and marketing?  I'd think it would look better to have a different wall color for each pool and then combine them at the final tournament site.  What I'm more focused on is that they seem to be cladding the Clevelander area with matching tarps.  That I don't understand.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived