MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:57 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Here's the in game "global sponsors" ad display they're doing in the wbc. This one happened after a strikeout when the batter is walking towards the dugout and the next hitter is making his walkup. This took about 15 seconds, no reason they can't do this in MLB eventually.

20170307_065115.jpg

No reason they can't, but also no reason they should. People might think "well, that will help eliminate commercials," but it won't. They might trim 15-30 seconds off between each inning, but that's in exchange for the above crap after every out. No, it's not that burdensome here, but it will only get larger and be on the screen more time.

Also (this is more in general and not to your post), this does absolutely nothing to stop ads on jerseys. No matter what the NBA may say, no American pro sports team (other than about a third of the NHL) is  in financial ruin to the point where it absolutely has to have that last bit of advertising income. The Padres and Reds will survive just fine without ads on jerseys or post-AB sponsorships. But that is money the league knows is out there. It's not going to pass it up for other income. It'll just take that in addition to the other income. Baseball has been great with minimizing manufacturer logos in the past, but the NE logo on the caps looks terrible and intrusive. And in a few years we'll get an UnderArmour logo on each jersey chest. It's sadly a matter of time before baseball stops feigning being "better than that" and puts ads on the jerseys. Having in-game commercials won't do a thing to stop that. We'll still have lengthy commercial breaks (longer in the playoffs), we'll have ads taking up half the screen after each AB, and we'll have ads on the jerseys. And we'll accept it because :censored: us, that's why. There's no better solution here.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

14 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

Forgive me if this was already posted somewhere in the past 127 pages.  New Era is selling the Mariners cap with a 40th anniversary logo on the side, which I'm assuming will be used as a game cap this season
.hwl?set=sku%5B20923234%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

Yes, and they have a retro colored version too

On 3/10/2017 at 8:29 PM, raysox said:

If I had to guess, it's sponsorship. Easy to control contradicting sponsors between club and WBC if you cover up.

That's true.  When I was at the All-Star game in 2008, they covered up all the ads during the ceremonies, only uncovering them for the game.

Am I the only one finding this version of the ballpark to be much more appealing?  I bet it would look absolutely beautiful in their unique bright sea blue!

23 hours ago, insert name said:

Those WBC grays are just too dark. I don't like it. 

I'm only now realizing that the majority of the teams seem to have gone white/gray, and the terrible gray they're using is kind of making me wish they went back to the colors.  Ugh.  Didn't take long for the Diamondbacks to infect everyone else.

spacer.png

spacer.png

17 hours ago, el_gmac said:

agreed, also the Colombia home jersey with the yellow sleeves were a disaster

WBC_Colombia_Dominican_Republic_Baseball

This grew on me more when I saw the fans... they were mostly in yellow... the Colombian soccer team wears a yellow jersey. Yellow is their color like burgundy should be the Venezuelan color and like Italy is blue etc etc. Obviously they could be improved but I'm now all for the Colombian baseball look to be predominantly yellow. I think an all yellow top would be a wonderful alternate for them. 

Edit: Wait a minute, there's a wbc uniform thread... how did we suddenly get in here? These last couple posts about the wbc should be  moved. 

20 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Love the cap but wish they'd replace the compass logo on the sleeve with the trident too.

hUcAOcl.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The best compromise is that they replace their Sunday cream alts and have a completely new alt (for Sunday only, sure why not) that is based around the trident. Keep the same colors but just make the trident the focus. No compass or anything. That is what an alt should be, not just color swaps. 

Go A's!

On 3/13/2017 at 4:52 PM, hawk36 said:

Love the cap but wish they'd replace the compass logo on the sleeve with the trident too. Weird to have 3 drastically different logos on the same uniform. 

miranda1280_nzg3ojo7_l7hk6rtd.jpg

Sometimes I forget how nice the Mariners look

AwvgSX4.png

8 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

The best compromise is that they replace their Sunday cream alts and have a completely new alt (for Sunday only, sure why not) that is based around the trident. Keep the same colors but just make the trident the focus. No compass or anything. That is what an alt should be, not just color swaps. 

So blue and gold or nw green and navy?

I just whipped up this recoloration of the old M's, but this is kinda what I was thinking. Obviously modernize the script so it's reminiscent of the original while keeping up with the times. These would be for the home and NW green alternate, with the trident on the caps, hopefully some sort of roundel alternate for the sleeve.

Mariners White Script.png

Mariners Green Script.png

Archived