MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

8963_milwaukee_brewers-home-1997.png

I'm not a fan of the navy, forest, gold combo. Too dated, 90s, for me. Also am never a fan of double outlines. There are some good bones to the 97-99 design but definitely would need to be cleaned up a bit for me to like it. 

I agree with you on all counts.  But I think the fix is as simple as eliminating green outright.  Give the blue letters (and cap logo) a single gold outline, and you're done. 

41 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

OMG drool... just a concept from the same awesome guy but wow this is amazing I want this... this is what Miami night life should look like... 

In theory, sure, but how would the thread of the logos glow like that?

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Just now, Gothamite said:

It wouldn't.  

But even without lighting up, that neon-version of the Marlins' logo would look great on their regular black cap. 

Yes, totally agree. Looks like legitimate neon signage you would see around Miami!

14 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Totally! I've been wanting them to remove the fish icon from day 1. This does that and looks amazing. 

Well, where would they put their fish icon, or a fish icon that fits with the Art Deco/neon signage aesthetic? It doesn't really work on its own.

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

What's the point in naming a team after an animal, if a logo featuring said animal isn't in the identity?

They could create an alternate logo with a Marlin if they want a Marlin in the identity. But it really isn't necessary on the cap logo, which would be far superior without the fish icon.

FWIW, across baseball, few "animal" named teams wear said animal on their primary cap logo - the Orioles and Blue Jays are the only ones, other than the Marlins. And those aren't monograms either (unlike the Marlins).

12 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

What's the point in naming a team after an animal, if a logo featuring said animal isn't in the identity?

It's actually quite common for teams to use only letters on their caps regardless of mascot. I'd say it's the anomaly when they do have a mascot icon on the cap.  

5 hours ago, Matito said:

In theory, sure, but how would the thread of the logos glow like that?

I don't think it's supposed to actually glow or at least that's not how I saw it. Regardless I think just having a bright enough shade of color on the outside and leaving the inside solid black is enough to imply it glowing. Could be wrong though because of course that Pirate spring training cap looks like garbage too so maybe that's the real life test to this concept. 

On 2/11/2017 at 10:48 PM, Big Yellow Flag said:

The Florida Wildlife Commission confirmed that Fernandez wasn't driving, yeah. He was drunk, though, and had cocaine in his system (according to the medical examiner).

I don't know, wearing a patch for a player who drove drunk and killed his girlfriend in the crash... I don't like it.

Sorry to dredge this back up, but their full report was just released yesterday, and the conclusion is exactly the opposite - yes, he was driving.  He was intoxicated with alcohol and cocaine in his system and was driving the boat at full speed and with impaired visibility when it crashed.

Not sure that those Marlins tribute patches are really appropriate to commemorate the death of somebody whose recklessness cost not only his own life but two others with it.   

51 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Sorry to dredge this back up, but their full report was just released yesterday, and the conclusion is exactly the opposite - yes, he was driving.  He was intoxicated with alcohol and cocaine in his system and was driving the boat at full speed and with impaired visibility when it crashed.

Not sure that those Marlins tribute patches are really appropriate to commemorate the death of somebody whose recklessness cost not only his own life but two others with it.   

We're far from a dumb accident, that was criminal. If he had been 38, been playing a hall of fame career for 15 years, I could maybe live with a number retirement for his whole career after waiting at least a couple years after his crime. Now we get a number retirement for his cut short career (two all star games in four seasons) and the "dramatic" nature of his death. I can't be alright with permanently honoring a criminal right after the fact.

18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I agree with you on all counts.  But I think the fix is as simple as eliminating green outright.  Give the blue letters (and cap logo) a single gold outline, and you're done. 

I'd take it the other direction: eliminate the dark blue.

Green and gold is unused in the NL and it'd give Wisconsin a full set of uniforms in regional colors.

Archived