MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I'd take it the other direction: eliminate the dark blue.

Green and gold is unused in the NL and it'd give Wisconsin a full set of uniforms in regional colors.

I'd be for that although the blue/yellow history is pretty substantial. Still, that was taken from the Seattle Pilots look so it's not even theirs originally. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I'd take it the other direction: eliminate the dark blue.

Green and gold is unused in the NL and it'd give Wisconsin a full set of uniforms in regional colors.

From an aesthetic point, I'd agree.  For a brand-new team, that would be good.

But the Brewers have got too much invested in the blue at this point.  "True Blue Brew Crew" and all that.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Sorry to dredge this back up, but their full report was just released yesterday, and the conclusion is exactly the opposite - yes, he was driving.  He was intoxicated with alcohol and cocaine in his system and was driving the boat at full speed and with impaired visibility when it crashed.

Not sure that those Marlins tribute patches are really appropriate to commemorate the death of somebody whose recklessness cost not only his own life but two others with it.   

That was my immediate thought when I saw the news on /r/baseball. I wonder if we'll still see that patch on Opening Day.

Just now, hawk36 said:

It's actually quite common for teams to use only letters on their caps regardless of mascot. I'd say it's the anomaly when they do have a mascot icon on the cap.  

I'm fully aware of that. However, it's always been a part of the Marlins' identity to have a fish icon on their cap logo. Also, with the way they've designed their fish icon, it really doesn't work on its own. Having it on the script, but not on the cap logo also isn't an option, for congruity reasons.

If the Marlins wanted to ditch the fish icon on the cap, they'd have to redesign the fish. I think something like the SB Nation blog logo could work:

large_fishstripes.com.minimal.png

Also, an Art Deco-styled version of the International League Marlins' cartoon logo could work as a sleeve patch (updated by @ZionEagle):

VEhsK1Q.png

I guess for me, not a fan and not aware of the history, I don't see the Marlin worth keeping. The original one was great but this one is a dime a dozen, throwaway. To me the M is very Miami and unique enough to stand on it's own as a very clean and recognizable mark. But if the Marlins' fans love the fish, then I can see that needing to stay.

Miami.jpg

I'd like to see them adopt blue hats full time both home and away, reduce the black to just trim, and maybe use orange cap/jersey as an alt.

I'm a fan of their wordmarks, just not their numbers or the way they use their colors.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

34 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I guess for me, not a fan and not aware of the history, I don't see the Marlin worth keeping. The original one was great but this one is a dime a dozen, throwaway. To me the M is very Miami and unique enough to stand on it's own as a very clean and recognizable mark. But if the Marlins' fans love the fish, then I can see that needing to stay.

Miami.jpg

That looks like a terrible generic hat.  It might look better on the black hat, but...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

21 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

OMG drool... just a concept from the same awesome guy but wow this is amazing I want this... this is what Miami night life should look like... 

?format=1500w

I wishe these were real....I could use a black Rays cap

2 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

That was my immediate thought when I saw the news on /r/baseball. I wonder if we'll still see that patch on Opening Day.

I'm hoping they just quietly remove it from their plans.  No need to publicize it, just make the change.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'm hoping they just quietly remove it from their plans.  No need to publicize it, just make the change.

"No matter what the report has concluded, nothing will ever diminish Jose's everlasting positive connection with Miami and the Miami Marlins."

That's Marlins President David Samson after the news from yesterday. The patch is not going anywhere. Maybe they just don't make his memory as big of a deal as before now but for the sake of his teammates I'm pretty sure they'll still honor him. 

18 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

"No matter what the report has concluded, nothing will ever diminish Jose's everlasting positive connection with Miami and the Miami Marlins."

That's Marlins President David Samson after the news from yesterday. The patch is not going anywhere. Maybe they just don't make his memory as big of a deal as before now but for the sake of his teammates I'm pretty sure they'll still honor him. 

Your (actually, the Marlins') second and third sentences are not mutually exclusive.

ETA - We have a thread about 'do colors/logos/uniforms make you root for a team'.  The Marlins' handling of this, by honoring someone who killed himself and two others of his own volition, will actively make me root against them.

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Your (actually, the Marlins') second and third sentences are not mutually exclusive.

ETA - We have a thread about 'do colors/logos/uniforms make you root for a team'.  The Marlins' handling of this, by honoring someone who killed himself and two others of his own volition, will actively make me root against them.

All 3 were drinking together and making poor choices. Jose didn't kidnap two innocent people and murder them. 

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

That's amazingly scummy.  I knew Loria was a really sleazy owner, but it seems he's infected the whole organization.  

20 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

All 3 were drinking together and making poor choices. Jose didn't kidnap two innocent people and murder them. 

Doesn't matter.  The driver is responsible for their deaths, legally and morally.  

He's not a murderer, but the conclusion is that he did commit manslaughter. That's the kind of legacy that should be embarrassing to the organization and downplayed, not celebrated. 

To be fair to David Samson, as much as the mere thought of that makes me want to vomit all over myself, that sounds like the kind of thing you say before you quietly go about not making such a big deal out of the guy. I think you'd have seen the Marlins go forward in a manner much different from what they'll actually do now that we know he wasn't a victim. He won't be Chris Benoited out of history, but they'll hold back at times.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love how some try to make it sounds pretty much "acceptable" because they were on a boat and in Miami. Let's say Stephen Strasburg kills himself plus two while doing 120 mph driving recklessly on the I95 in DC while high on coke and drunk. Does he gets as much recognition?

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

To be fair to David Samson, as much as the mere thought of that makes me want to vomit all over myself, that sounds like the kind of thing you say before you quietly go about not making such a big deal out of the guy. I think you'd have seen the Marlins go forward in a manner much different from what they'll actually do now that we know he wasn't a victim. He won't be Chris Benoited out of history, but they'll hold back at times.

This is the route I'm expecting them to take.

Archived