MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

That's an interesting idea.  The Marlins could mitigate their ill-advised hasty tribute through a concerted, season-long anti-drunk driving campaign.  Treat drunk driving like cancer, something that happened to their star player, not something that he did.   A series of PSAs, public donations of obscene amounts of cash, the sense that we don't want this to claim anybody else. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, I would expect that those construction elements are unique to Majestic.   But they'll almost certainly be replaced by construction elements unique to Under Armour. 

Worth mentioning: two of UA's signature design elements are the faux flannel grey material and the faux button-ups.  I wonder which MLB team will be the first to incorporate either.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Hey, I've made lots of stupid decisions.  I've passed up career opportunities for silly reasons.  I stayed in a bad relationship too long.  I even used to wear a turtleneck with a sport coat. 

But driving drunk?  Nope.  Not once. Because that's not a mere "stupid decision". 

But it happens. Often. And they always remind us that buzz driving equals drunk driving too. If you have never done it not even once then I applaud you but the amount of people on this planet to have driven drunk at least once in their life is beyond high. Can't just wish death on all of them. 

Just now, Gothamite said:

I don't wish death on any of them.  But if they do it, then that's their legacy, what they deserve to be remembered for. Especially when they kill other people in the process. 

I know you don't but the guy I was responding to was all cool with anyone who drives drunk dying. That just rubbed me the wrong way because he's about wishing death on half the planet, more than likely including his immediate family as well. 

3 hours ago, Bouj said:

Worth mentioning: two of UA's signature design elements are the faux flannel grey material and the faux button-ups.  I wonder which MLB team will be the first to incorporate either.

I'd be shocked if either the Red Sox or Yankees weren't first...

YVRMUBj.png

3 hours ago, Bouj said:

My guesses for first season with UA:

Tigers

Cubs

Red Sox

Nationals

White Sox

Pirates

Orioles

I don't see the Yankees doing it simply because they tend to avoid manufacturer gimmicks (did they ever wear cool base?) I'm actually surprised they went with those matte batting helmets on the road, which I do like (for the record).

31 minutes ago, Yippy said:

Tigers

Cubs

Red Sox

Nationals

White Sox

Pirates

Orioles

I don't see the Yankees doing it simply because they tend to avoid manufacturer gimmicks (did they ever wear cool base?) I'm actually surprised they went with those matte batting helmets on the road, which I do like (for the record).

Faux flannel gray will definitely be for the Orioles.  That I do not doubt at all.  MAYBE the Nationals do it as well?

52 minutes ago, Yippy said:

Tigers

Cubs

Red Sox

Nationals

White Sox

Pirates

Orioles

NY never wore COOLBASE home jerseys.  They did allow players to choose between regular doubleknit and CB road jerseys the final year that they were used.  The Yankees, along with the other 29 teams, all wear Flex Base now (throwbacks possibly excluded).  The Yankees' Flex Base jerseys do not have the goofy sidepanels or sweat tails, and they are the only team who don't.

BTW COOLBASE and Flex Base are the same material.  The only differences are the panels and tail, which are a stretchy mesh material.  The primary cloth is exactly the same waffled-patterned material on both.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Yankees are pretty set in their ways, only going throwback for something as monumental as Fenway's 100th.  The Red Sox have had their home look forever, and their best different throwback to go to is their 70's pullover, although there's still a chance.  Pirates have a dozen more recent throwbacks to go with.

I think the most probable choices in order would be...

-Cubs.  They love throwing back to those eras, and they have the ballpark to do it.

-Giants throwback to New York, either while visiting Citi Field or in a rivalry game with the Dodgers.

-Phillies replacing the current Sunday throwback.

-Nationals throwing back to the Senators.

-Royals throwback to the Monarchs.

-Reds throwback for opening day.

-Dodgers throwback to Brooklyn, either while visting Citi Field or in a rivalry game with the Giants.

-Rays throwback to the Smokers.

-Padres throwback to the PCL.

-Orioles throwback to Orioles or Browns.

On a side note, something I feel stupid about not thinking about until just now...  Between WBC games I was watching, a Spring Training game popped up.  We'd discussed the pros and cons of wearing usual whites/grays vs. the ST uniforms, but I hadn't thought about the idiocy of wearing navy jerseys in the Florida/Arizona sun.  Most teams/the umpires plan their outfits to avoid wearing dark during the day.  Is the fabric really that good that it doesn't get unbearable?

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

"Half the planet"?  We're pretty screwed up in this country, but let's not exaggerate things.

While it clearly was an exaggeration, I don't think you're understanding just how many people have gotten behind the wheel of any vehicle after having a drink at least one time in their lives.

https://www.fairwarning.org/2010/12/more-than-30-million-americans-have-driven-while-drunk-survey-finds/

That one article from 2010 says more than 30 million Americans admitted to driving drunk in the year prior to that. That's only one year and that doesn't include those who chose to lie in that survey. And to bring it back to what I said, I'm not just talking about any one specific year, I'm talking about how many have ever done it at least once in their lives. The number must be astoundingly high. 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

How do we qualify it though?

I was actually pulled over for speeding after have one drink at the start of the night at a friend's place. I did a shot of whisky, then had a full meal and only drove five hours or so later. 

The officer asked if I had been drinking and, being honest, I coped to that one drink. He tested me, and my blood alcohol level was so far below the limit that he actually apologised (*insert Canadian joke here*) and let me off with a warning re: speeding.

So clearly driving a car at some point during the same day as having one drink is a pretty broad category. To put an example like mine in the same category as Jose Fernandez, who was high and drunk while driving a boat, is incredibly disingenuous.

See, I drove home that night because I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that whatever effect that one shot had on me was long gone by the time I got behind the wheel. This wasn't me being buzzed and willing to risk it. It was me being fully aware that the buzz had long since passed.

I'm sure plenty of people have been in that situation, but you should be smart enough to know that's not what any of us mean when we're harsh on people who drive while impaired. 

Meanwhile there were plenty of times when I was buzzed or drunk but opted to spend the night somewhere because I knew I was in no condition to drive. Even when blitzed out of my mind "don't get behind the wheel of a car" seemed obvious.

Maybe I'm being optimistic and/or naive, but I feel like the amount of people who actually do opt to drive while buzzed or drunk is a lot smaller than you're making it out to be.

That one article from 2010 says more than 30 million Americans admitted to driving drunk in the year prior to that.

Then those 30 million people made incredibly selfish and indefensible choices. And if any of those instances resulted in injuries or, G-d forbid, the death of innocent people? Then the impaired driver would rightfully be defined by that selfish choice. 

"A lot of people do it, you guys" doesn't mitigate how terrible an act it is. I'm honestly finding myself questioning why some people go to such lengths to defend drunk drivers. 

Though again. I ask how was the question qualified? Did it consider everyone who, say, drank one beer and then drove a "drunk driver"? It's not hard to massage the statistics of any survey.

While it clearly was an exaggeration, I don't think you're understanding just how many people have gotten behind the wheel of any vehicle after having a drink at least one time in their lives.

Most everyone can still function properly after "having a drink".  I don't ascribe to the philosophy that driving after one beer is drunk driving.   

But yeah, anyone who does drive drunk deserves all the condemnation we can muster and more. 

Archived