MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Show says they don't use specific spring training jerseys in the game so if that blue jersey is in there, the style guide must say that that jersey will be used in the regular season. We shall see soon enough. 

Yeah you're right plus I don't see the white line on the side so I think it's real but them again in 1997 The Sporting News mistakenly listed the Dodgers had a black hat as an alternate 

Matters aren't helped by it being in the middle of a soulless suburban office park:

image.jpg

That Comcast Building in hulking over right field is an eyesore that's completely out of place at a so-called retro ballpark.

27 minutes ago, Frylock said:

Sun Life gives me a Comerica Park vibe. Or like kroywen said, the ultimate generic '00 ballpark.

Perfectly describes the Braves franchise. 

Also, if you're going to move out of a boring ass ballpark, then at least make the new one look unique. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Upon further review, it looks like a stadium you'd see in a video game that's not authorized by Major League Baseball.

I'm a life-long Braves fan, going back to '81. Fulton County Stadium was a cookie-cutter, Turner Field lacked modern-retro charm, and Sun Life feels like a cash grab modern-cookie cutter. They have an opportunity to make it "theirs", so I'm going to try to give it some time. But, man, my knee-jerk reaction is "meh".

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

9 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Or the Mets

Thankfully the Mets don't need any corporate development because their ballpark is right near amazing Central American food in Corona and amazing Asian food in  Flushing.

The Atlanta development looks like it's going to be filled with boring corporate chains like Dave and Buster's, Yard House, and Buffalo Wild Wings. 

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Ask the Cardinals how well that plan worked out.

3 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Or the Mets

Probably due to the recession. The area around Nats Park is finally being developed after initial plans had most of it completed between 2009-13.

You can see three cranes out of many in this early 2016 pic of Nats Park:

nationals-park-2016.png?w=626

3 hours ago, schtee said:

Thankfully the Mets don't need any corporate development because their ballpark is right near amazing Central American food in Corona and amazing Asian food in  Flushing.

The Atlanta development looks like it's going to be filled with boring corporate chains like Dave and Buster's, Yard House, and Buffalo Wild Wings. 

Didn't seem like closest neighborhoods were anywhere near walking distance to the park when I went there.

The Battery development right outside the park is nearing completion and a lot of the shops and restaurants will be ready by the home opener on 4/14. That has been planned in conjunction with the park from the start. There are a few spots that will open later in the spring and then I think there's a phase two planned. From what I've seen of it, it looks nice and will be a great update from Turner. I'll be curious to check it out when I go that Saturday of opening weekend. They did an open house for season ticket holders and I saw a ton of positive feedback. People loved the sight lines, intimacy of the park, amenities, etc. Supposedly the seats are now the closest in all the majors, they reduced the foul territory, and they also shrunk the stadium from about 50k at Turner to 41k.

IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7938.JPG

IMG_7935.JPG

IMG_7929.JPG

IMG_7922.JPG

IMG_7943.JPG

With all of the advertising signage in and around the outfield seats, you would have thought the park was called "Towncenter Mills Field".  Coca-Cola, Delta, Home Depot, Sun Trust, State Farm, Chick Fil A, Comcast/Xfinity, Coors Light...plus all the regular advertising signs.  I think I see a sign that says Atlanta or maybe even Braves... nope...just an ad.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

58df8ee6ad69b_suntrustpark.jpg.8b77d8316fdb04678a4ad8ae3b609979.jpg

Retro ballpark, you got that right. You have almost Fenway-level cheap home runs due to the foul pole not going to the extent of the wall. Nice work, team.

But really, this is the ultra-generic ballpark. @Frylock hit the nail on the head - this is a park that would be in a video game that doesn't have MLB's consent to use the actual stadiums.

ExJworW.png

This looks like some weird cross between a bland office park and an erector set. Random banks of seats interspersed with suburban office buildings and a restaurant, with an industrial construction site plopped in the middle. This is probably the ugliest view within any ballpark in the majors, save for Tropicana Field and perhaps Mt. Davis in Oakland:

041417Bravesdishes25_20170328143917043_7

Oddly enough, when finally seeing the picture from the upper deck behind home plate of a semi-completed SunTrust Park in use, I see what it has the biggest resemblance to...

suntrust park.jpg

Turner-Field-2.jpg

Rounded lower bowl seating in the outfield.  Rounded fence in left with an angle in right.  Empty green batter's eye with huge video screen above it.  Double-deck area in left with the upper deck sheared away.  Brick party area in right.  

They complained for years about having a park with no personality and they built a park that looked so similar, stripping away what little personality Turner Field had in its historical signifigance and blue seats.  They didn't even try going the full retro route.  Honestly, I don't know what I'd classify this, save maybe "corporate"?

Also, in searching for pictures, I saw video of the cow being craned in.  I don't see him in the pictures from yesterday.  Where'd he end up?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived