MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

21 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'd say that the Dodgers' socks are the best of the lot because they approximate the look of stirrups -- and to an even greater extent than 2-in-1s do.

The worst ones for me are the Mets' socks, with that skyline design around the ankles.  The Astros' socks are almost as bad; a wrap-around design at the ankle is not a good look.  (And do the tops of those socks say "HTX"? Egad! Just stop it.)

So the Mets' and Astros' socks with the wrap-around designs at the ankles are among the worst in your mind, but the Dodgers' socks with the (pretty bad, IMO) approximation of stirrups that's interrupted by the colored ankle cushioning is what you consider to be the best? Interesting. I'll agree with you that the Mets' and Astros' socks aren't all that great, but I'm shocked that anyone would think that those Dodgers' faux-stirrups are among the best, and let alone better than the Mets' and Astros' designs. I've always thought 2-in-1's look extremely ugly and amateur, so Stance's approximation of stirrups is just about as bad in my mind. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ark said:

Speaking of Mount Davis, now that the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas maybe they will remove it?

5JtSJxs.jpg

That is a great view.

It will cost a lot of money to remove it.  If Oakland is going to get a new park, it doesn't make too much sense to spend to make the current park beautiful again.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, insert name said:

I like how the Indians prepare a new set of uniforms to limit the apprrence of Chief Wahoo and the first thing they wear is the navy jersey with the Chief Wahoo hat.

If you look at the official guide, the road alternate doesn't change. It only changed for when they wear the navy jerseys at home.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

15 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I tried sleuthing this out the same way I did the Astros, then realized I'm an idiot.  They won the pennant that year.  That being said, if they can get the visiting team to play along, there are a few options of what we can see.  The Pirates could wear the gold alts they already have in rotation, so that would be a great pick.  Otherwise, we may see any of these...

dave-dravecky-of-the-san-diego-padres-an

According to the mothership, the Padres will be the opponent and wear that ^^ throwback uniform against the '83 Phillies uniforms.

16 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Curse you.  Curse you to your very heart.  I was excited, but you got me actually thinking reasonably around this.  Why throw back to that?  It is just the same uniform, but with the old cap.  There's also a Jackie Robinson patch if they want to go that far.

However, there was also the old green alt they recently got rid of for a green version of the yellow alt, which specifically at the time bore the sunny elephant.

oakland-athletics-jose-canseco-hit-by-re

And, I've also noticed the presence of another old alt that we haven't seen in years.  Is this a lighting thing, or is this their old black alt?

buddy-groom-of-the-oakland-athletics-pit

On the subject of the A's, apparently they made the front page of Wikipedia.  I've never heard this fun fact before.  Is this true?

5f5w5Wr.png

The dark jersey above is a green jersey.  The black jerseys (there were two of them) never had gold script outlined in white, and both were introduced in the 2000s..

And yes, the tarp stays on unless the A's go to the World Series.  

2 minutes ago, insert name said:

Not even the playoffs? Come on, I think even the Marlins removed the tarp for the playoffs. 

From 2013 ALDS:

920x920.jpg

2 hours ago, insert name said:

I like how the Indians prepare a new set of uniforms to limit the apprrence of Chief Wahoo and the first thing they wear is the navy jersey with the Chief Wahoo hat.

They were never trying to limit the appearance of Chief Wahoo. That's what the media interpreted what they were trying to do. In truth they were just keeping the red cap in circulation because the cream jersey was dropped. 

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Not even the playoffs? Come on, I think even the Marlins removed the tarp for the playoffs. 

The Marlins only used the tarp over the outfield upper deck for a short time in their first season. It was a white tarp. After that they just left the outfield upper deck open without the tarp but never sold tickets to those sections except for in the playoffs. The only tarp they kept forever was the blue tarp that covered the seats directly in center field because that was the batter's eye behind the pitchers. The pic below is from their first game in 93. You can see the white tarp in the upper deck and the blue tarp in center field.

Image result for marlins inaugural game

I think the stance socks look cool for fans, especially kids and teens that now have this fashion craze of wearing high socks with colorful designs on them. For that, those socks are great. I just don't understand why these socks have become official on field gear. The designs are too random and all over the place with no consistency and teams have no limit to the amount of styles they can have in one game. Plus the distortion of the colors and sizes of the elements on the socks drives me crazy. It's bad. 

13 hours ago, DiePerske said:

So, the Orioles(old news) are giving these away on 20 May

2017-04-03.jpg

any idea if they will be wearing them as well?

Just say noooo.

The Orioles gave these away last year and didn't use them in a game.
s-l225.jpg

2 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

If you look at the official guide, the road alternate doesn't change. It only changed for when they wear the navy jerseys at home.

Which, again, I don't friggin' understand.  They brought out the block C on the road to limit Wahoo's presence on the road, but then they started wearing the navy alt more and more on the road and now they've made Wahoo road only on the navy alt?  Crazy.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

According to the mothership, the Padres will be the opponent and wear that ^^ throwback uniform against the '83 Phillies uniforms.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The dark jersey above is a green jersey.  The black jerseys (there were two of them) never had gold script outlined in white, and both were introduced in the 2000s..

And yes, the tarp stays on unless the A's go to the World Series.  

All good news, although I'm surprised they didn't go with the Pirates who already wear the appropriate uniforms in their rotation.  Not that I'm upset about it.  That's gonna be a good-looking matchup.

And that's a relief about the A's.  They'll probably break out the old greens with the sunny elephant on one sleeve and the Jackie Robinson patch on the other.

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Marlins only used the tarp over the outfield upper deck for a short time in their first season. It was a white tarp. After that they just left the outfield upper deck open without the tarp but never sold tickets to those sections except for in the playoffs. The only tarp they kept forever was the blue tarp that covered the seats directly in center field because that was the batter's eye behind the pitchers. The pic below is from their first game in 93. You can see the white tarp in the upper deck and the blue tarp in center field.

Image result for marlins inaugural game

Aww...  The Teal Monster.  It's a shame no homage to this made its way into the new park, even if just the clock somewhere.  Unless it's hiding in the tunnels somewhere like the old Busch Stadium II scoreboard does inside Busch Stadium III.

scoreboard.jpg

2399668529_26e7f9ee63_z.jpg?zz=1

6086271129_a296f14be2_z.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 31/03/2017 at 0:02 AM, Toronto206 said:

May have been already said but why didn't the Jays just make the royal blue uniform and white panel cap combo their Sunday alternate, instead of the Canada monochromes? Maybe I'm expecting too much good thinking from a professional sports franchise...

It's Canada's 150th birthday.  I'm not a fan of it either, but there is a reason.

The white panels should not ever be worn with the blue alts in my opinion.  It isn't a combination that was ever used in the 90s.  White panels ended midway through 93, and the blue alts weren't used until 94.

banners

45 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Which, again, I don't friggin' understand.  They brought out the block C on the road to limit Wahoo's presence on the road, but then they started wearing the navy alt more and more on the road and now they've made Wahoo road only on the navy alt?  Crazy.

All good news, although I'm surprised they didn't go with the Pirates who already wear the appropriate uniforms in their rotation.  Not that I'm upset about it.  That's gonna be a good-looking matchup.

And that's a relief about the A's.  They'll probably break out the old greens with the sunny elephant on one sleeve and the Jackie Robinson patch on the other.

Aww...  The Teal Monster.  It's a shame no homage to this made its way into the new park, even if just the clock somewhere.  Unless it's hiding in the tunnels somewhere like the old Busch Stadium II scoreboard does inside Busch Stadium III.

scoreboard.jpg

2399668529_26e7f9ee63_z.jpg?zz=1

6086271129_a296f14be2_z.jpg

Unfortunately the Marlins are a terrible organization and have shunned away nearly any sense of history. 

That only areas named after past players/championships are club level areas. Outside that there is only the bobbleheads and one concession area and has some photos. 

I always felt that MLB was the standard when it came to uniforms (you're welcomed to your own opinion). Corporate greed has ruined that over the last few months. Between Stance socks, the New Era flag, and the eventual appearance of the Under Armor logo on the chest, MLB is well

on its way to outside corporate logo patch placements akin to the NBA. 

How much money do they really need?

3 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

As much as they can get, as with any business.  

The players want more money going to the league as well.

I'm not really as bothered by the New Era flag as other people.  It's on MiLB caps and NFL caps.  Kind of the norm, now.  I just wish they'd use team colors more in the stitching of the flag rather than the white used for the majority of the hats.

The jersey ads will take some getting used to...

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I always felt that MLB was the standard when it came to uniforms (you're welcomed to your own opinion). Corporate greed has ruined that over the last few months. Between Stance socks, the New Era flag, and the eventual appearance of the Under Armor logo on the chest, MLB is well

on its way to outside corporate logo patch placements akin to the NBA. 

They're out there selling fragments of my attention, and to a degree, my body with the logos on the clothes I wear, and I'm basically paying them for the privilege. It's a weird world when you think of it that way.

Day 3 and it looks like we've now seen socks from every team.

randall-delgado-of-the-arizona-diamondba

jacoby-jones-of-the-detroit-tigers-celeb

carlos-correa-of-the-houston-astros-nd-j

khris-davis-of-the-oakland-athletics-cel

yangervis-solarte-of-the-san-diego-padre

hunter-pence-of-the-san-francisco-giants

rougned-odor-of-the-texas-rangers-fields

Overall, it's been fairly conservative.  So much so, the Giants dropped stripes.  Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks found them.  I just realized that a photo I'd posted earlier that I thought was a far-off shot of the Giants in their black socks with orange stripes were actually the Diamondbacks in black with red.  They wore these black with red-bordered teal stripes socks with the teal alts.  I really like them.  They look pretty good.

The A's are pretty outlandish, but that's to be expected.  Looking back, every pic I'm seeing of that pair are Khris Davis, with another shot showing plain dark green.  But they were one of the pioneers of everyone wearing mismatched socks.  I'm stuck in a catch-22 here as I wonder whether or not I want baseball to bring the hammer down.  I want them to make uniformity in socks mandatory... but only if the one they choose is the good option.  Can I trust teams to do that?

On the plus side, the Rangers don't all seem to be going with the insane Texas socks.  Also, it looks like they're going to be a red team this year.  Seriously, any rhyme or reason to scheduling, or this gonna just be a red year?

My favorites are the stirrups I saw on Miller.  I also noticed Lindor wearing stirrups with the team's stripe pattern they wore last year (while I saw other Indians in plain navy socks).  Are these actual stirrups, or faux stirrups from Stance as I originally thought.  If they're Stance, than good on them.  If they're just unmarked socks they're bringing to the park (which it was said was possible when the deal was first announced), I wish we could see more.

chase-headley-of-the-new-york-yankees-st

But, again, overall the Stance movement seems to be all right.  We'll see, as the season continues, if teams remain looking dignified.  It might even take until next year before we see where the sport is going to lie.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived