MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Day 3 and it looks like we've now seen socks from every team.

randall-delgado-of-the-arizona-diamondba

jacoby-jones-of-the-detroit-tigers-celeb

carlos-correa-of-the-houston-astros-nd-j

khris-davis-of-the-oakland-athletics-cel

yangervis-solarte-of-the-san-diego-padre

hunter-pence-of-the-san-francisco-giants

rougned-odor-of-the-texas-rangers-fields

Overall, it's been fairly conservative.  So much so, the Giants dropped stripes.  Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks found them.  I just realized that a photo I'd posted earlier that I thought was a far-off shot of the Giants in their black socks with orange stripes were actually the Diamondbacks in black with red.  They wore these black with red-bordered teal stripes socks with the teal alts.  I really like them.  They look pretty good.

The A's are pretty outlandish, but that's to be expected.  Looking back, every pic I'm seeing of that pair are Khris Davis, with another shot showing plain dark green.  But they were one of the pioneers of everyone wearing mismatched socks.  I'm stuck in a catch-22 here as I wonder whether or not I want baseball to bring the hammer down.  I want them to make uniformity in socks mandatory... but only if the one they choose is the good option.  Can I trust teams to do that?

On the plus side, the Rangers don't all seem to be going with the insane Texas socks.  Also, it looks like they're going to be a red team this year.  Seriously, any rhyme or reason to scheduling, or this gonna just be a red year?

My favorites are the stirrups I saw on Miller.  I also noticed Lindor wearing stirrups with the team's stripe pattern they wore last year (while I saw other Indians in plain navy socks).  Are these actual stirrups, or faux stirrups from Stance as I originally thought.  If they're Stance, than good on them.  If they're just unmarked socks they're bringing to the park (which it was said was possible when the deal was first announced), I wish we could see more.

chase-headley-of-the-new-york-yankees-st

But, again, overall the Stance movement seems to be all right.  We'll see, as the season continues, if teams remain looking dignified.  It might even take until next year before we see where the sport is going to lie.

Neither of those socks for the Diamondbacks are Stance. The only team-specific Stance socks we've seen for them so far are these, and they've yet to be worn on the field.

IMG_3314.JPG.59c016c7c4eebdc9e783ec77733e87e4.JPG

Also, it's important to note that teams who are seen primarily wearing the solid colored Stance socks still have team-specific designs that they have at their disposal. It's just up to them whether or not they wear them, and for some teams it's up to each individual to decide which socks they want to wear. And regarding the stirrups seen on Miller and Lindor, and probably some other players as well, they are not made by Stance. They are just the regular old stirrups, and so far the only thing even closely resembling stirrups from Stance are the Dodgers' socks, which (to my knowledge) have not been worn on the field.

IMG_3302.JPG.50f5458bc064173b27ea253d76308054.JPG

There are still some teams who we have yet to see the team-specific Stance socks for. The Mariners come to mind, as do the Giants, Pirates, and Braves. There may be more, and there are plenty of teams whose team-specific socks have been released but have yet to be worn on the field. Chances are each team probably has 2-3 different team-specific Stance designs, so I'd say there's still plenty more yet to see.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/3/2017 at 5:06 PM, CreamSoda said:

The Rockies new "Purple" looks just as "Blue" on TV today.

Disappointing.

On 4/3/2017 at 5:20 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I honestly don't think it's possible to not make purple look blue. It's just the lighting that seems to always be the issue.

I did notice a difference by the way, but yeah, it was hardly a difference.

An admittedly horrible MS Paint job done in 2 minutes right now but I went back to a previous season where the Rockies played in Miller Park wearing the purple jerseys in the same lighting conditions and did a side by side comparison with Monday's game. The purple still leans blueish but is definitely a more pronounced purple now. Remember Miller Park's lighting conditions aren't the best either.

roxpurple.thumb.jpg.fe6cef86582572f44cb7014b4579334f.jpg

59 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

An admittedly horrible MS Paint job done in 2 minutes right now but I went back to a previous season where the Rockies played in Miller Park wearing the purple jerseys in the same lighting conditions and did a side by side comparison with Monday's game. The purple still leans blueish but is definitely a more pronounced purple now. Remember Miller Park's lighting conditions aren't the best either.

roxpurple.thumb.jpg.fe6cef86582572f44cb7014b4579334f.jpg

Hopefully it looks better in the natural lighting of Coors Field!   

The multiplicity of sock designs being worn is a cluster. Solid or patterned, pick a lane- I don't even need it to be the same lane every day, I just need everyone who's showing sock to be doing the same thing.

This thing where it's totally individual- socks are uniform, not equipment like spikes and gloves.

Socks should enhance and complement the uniform as a whole, not distract from it.  They shouldn't be a focal point. Seeing the below image, the socks are the very first thing you notice:

I like striping patterns on socks, but this is just over-the-top. Without the logo, it wouldn't be quite as garish, but it'd still be a bit much.

The standard should be this: if the entire team wore that sock design, would it be garish and/or overbearing? If so, it's a poor design. And that above is a truly poor design.

8 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Socks should enhance and complement the uniform as a whole, not distract from it.  They shouldn't be a focal point. Seeing the below image, the socks are the very first thing you notice:

I like striping patterns on socks, but this is just over-the-top. Without the logo, it wouldn't be quite as garish, but it'd still be a bit much.

The standard should be this: if the entire team wore that sock design, would it be garish and/or overbearing? If so, it's a poor design. And that above is a truly poor design.

The Cardinals and Red Sox have had stripes that were almost as garish.

Image result for orlando cepeda cardinals  Image result for carl yastrzemski

But, yeah, those A's socks are a bit too much.

Still, if every guy were wearing them, then the jarring effect would be far lessened, I think.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Stirrups should be left in the history books.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Hate these new Stance socks. The brand and MLB logos on them suck and clutter them up. They are trying to reinvent the wheel with bizarre stripe patterns and garish logos and graphics. Baseball socks should be a pleasant and subtle hint of color, whether plain, stirrups, classic stripes, whatever. But now they are turning socks into hideous canvases for bad design. If Stance wants to improve the technology or comfort of traditional socks, so be it, but this new line is awful. Most of these new socks aren't even traditional designs for the respective clubs.

Stirrups are part of the correct way of wearing a baseball uniform, and have been since the 1920s.

Related image

rajai-davis-of-the-oakland-athletics-hits-a-two-run-triple-against-picture-id664682800

This is how a baseball player looks. (I don't care that his sanitaries are white instead of the yellow that is traditional for the A's.)  No one should be allowed on the field unless he is dressed like this guy.

43 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Hate these new Stance socks. The brand and MLB logos on them suck and clutter them up. They are trying to reinvent the wheel with bizarre stripe patterns and garish logos and graphics. Baseball socks should be a pleasant and subtle hint of color, whether plain, stirrups, classic stripes, whatever. But now they are turning socks into hideous canvases for bad design. If Stance wants to improve the technology or comfort of traditional socks, so be it, but this new line is awful. Most of these new socks aren't even traditional designs for the respective clubs.

I couldn't agree with this assessment any more. The stance socks suck

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Stirrups are part of the correct way of wearing a baseball uniform, and have been since the 1920s.

Related image

rajai-davis-of-the-oakland-athletics-hits-a-two-run-triple-against-picture-id664682800

This is how a baseball player looks. (I don't care that his sanitaries are white instead of the yellow that is traditional for the A's.)  No one should be allowed on the field unless he is dressed like this guy.

Isnt "yellow sanitary" an oxymoron?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

30 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Isnt "yellow sanitary" an oxymoron?

That's what they have worn ever since they've been in Oakland.

Image result for walt weiss oakland  Related image

Image result for dave kingman a's

But I suppose that the idea of "sanitaries" in any colour other than white is a bit odd, considering the history of sanitaries from the early part of the 20th Century, which was to prevent poisoning from the dye with which the sock was coloured.  That danger eventually went away, however; and the parts of the baseball sock, sanitaries and stirrup, became standardised just on account of their look.

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That's what they have worn ever since they've been in Oakland.

Image result for walt weiss oakland  Related image

Image result for dave kingman a's

But I suppose that the idea of "sanitaries" in any colour other than white is a bit odd, considering the history of sanitaries from the early part of the 20th Century, which was to prevent poisoning from the dye with which the sock was coloured.  That danger eventually went away, however; and the parts of the baseball sock, sanitaries and stirrup, became standardised just on account of their look.

That's honestly why I have no problem with their new Stance socks. Sure, they're not stirrups but they share some of the characteristics of their traditional hosiery in that there is a great deal of both yellow and green. The striping is a bit much, and so is the team logo, but I think overall they compliment their simplistic home whites quite well and have a slight tie in to what they've worn in the past, at least in terms of color balance.

IMG_3323.thumb.JPG.fa96f3e3dee58d0f5b09522804084be2.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I miss the old socks. I want white sannies (yellow for the A's, por supuesto), with a colored stirrup that maybe has some stripes. It's not about being a hipster, I'm essentially the opposite, it's about sticking to the traditions of the sport. We wear essentially the same system of dress we've worn for decades in baseball, because it's tradition. I don't want to see strange new socks in the league just to make things fresh and modern and cool.

x5ouDkH.png

To quote Tevye, "Tradition!"

Archived