MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, McCarthy said:

We've been through this before. The 1970's Wild Wild West Me Hit Ball Long Way You Pay Me Wampum font is in no way an improvement over Chief Wahoo. It's the same damn thing as far as I'm concerned. And even if none of that were true it doesn't even pass the first basic requirement of a uniform wordmark of looking good. It's an ugly font. 

Also, I'm tired of the "transition" away from Chief Wahoo. We've been transitioning for as long as I can remember. Just tell the Indians to drop it and be done with it. People will get over it or they won't, but the longer they hold onto it the more people you allow to think it's an acceptable mascot. 

The red Indians block C cap is the worst hat in Major League Baseball. Worse than the Diamondbacks snakeskin hat. 

Well, damn.   I was all ready to "like" right up until that last para. :P

1 hour ago, Michael Bolton said:

The Marlins did wear the black jerseys in 5 out of 6 road games though. Strange they would emphasize those uniforms so much since they do seem to be phasing out the black just about everywhere else.

Yeah my thought is the uniforms are player preference and that really is completely separate from whoever runs social media and whoever designs the signage and scoreboard in the ballpark. If the players like the black jersey for road games then they'll continue to wear it until they literally are told they can't. They do have a home uniform schedule though so only on Saturdays at home do they wear black and that they do adhere to. I read an article today where Jeffrey Loria said Jose Fernandez loved the red orange jersey and had to ask Loria for permission to wear them when he started opening day for them in 2014. Loria said yes but I thought that made it pretty clear that they have a home uniform schedule. 

Not pertaining to any uniform changes, but here are some good looks at the uniform and equipment-related details on the Mariners' new Ken Griffey Jr. statue outside of Safeco:

IMG_3487.thumb.JPG.147bd21568a3345d53b7e7a77169ddd2.JPGIMG_3488.thumb.JPG.c8de50e0c2e1297ac5b01e6ff4a58c7c.JPGIMG_3489.thumb.JPG.0f4eeed49ec8961704daa322832e8b34.JPGIMG_3490.thumb.PNG.d4f8ac7bc68d1901cc155d6a6c88a2d6.PNGIMG_3491.PNG.ec69e09e394fb48b07e0c629a2ee1d2e.PNGIMG_3492.thumb.JPG.f7edaf1cc86f0da1d80a85efdb55800a.JPGIMG_3493.PNG.4ae7e69ac8c3583355bd85976ded338d.PNGIMG_3494.PNG.8ec2a06fdb84a9ac519347296c5544eb.PNG

IMG_3495.thumb.JPG.6ea442e383fe74d3a8e2c303c2849cf6.JPG

They really nailed it IMO. They based it off of Jr. in 1997, hence the Mariners' 20th anniversary patch and the Jackie Robinson breaking barriers patch. They got his signature cleats right, the details on his bat, his Nike gloves, etc. Really nice execution overall.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Here's a decent look at the Athletics' second team-specific Stance socks:

IMG_3496.JPG.7d231c1c71ce5842823c1b3f51494d7a.JPG

Same striping pattern and half and half design as their other team-specific Stance socks, but these ones aren't nearly as nice. The white stripes towards the top throw the whole look off IMO. I'm a much bigger fan of their other pair.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I realize that Cleveland's block "C" has historical precedent from the 1910s and their 1920 World Series, but not only is it lifeless it looks too much like the "C" on Cal Berkeley's baseball caps. Slight difference in the serif on the upper right.

Cal Berkeley Baseball Block C Hat.jpg

Am I the only one who's Team Cursive I? If the team has to be called the Indians, this is the best way to show that team name off, not with any offensive Native imagery, but with a Cursive I, because not many team names start with I, and heck, we have the O's and A's so, why not the I's! Plus, I think this logo shows the I off nicely with the cursive giving it a nice old-school baseball feel. And yes, I know it looks like a J, but I obviously don't care. 

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I think Cleveland's C is a solid, classic, and yet currently unique (in MLB) look that is becoming more and more recognizable. Over time, it'll be as recognizable as the "boring" C of the Cubs and the Reds. There's no need to throw feathers on it, or make it look like a Native American carved it in. Some say a white outline can be added, but I think it looks sharp just the way it is.

12 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Through the first week and a half of the season I've seen the Marlins dropping essentially 100% of the black from the ballpark signage, led boards, scoreboards... And from everything on social media. Even all the logos they've used have had zero black. And it looks great. The colors are popping now. If they're gonna be a tropically colored team then go for it. So far I think it's been pretty noticeable and quite nice. First pic is of the ballpark, the only black is the batters eye and a tire advertisement and notice the scoreboard no longer has a black background, and the only black space in the scoreboard in this pic is where the player pics go so it wouldn't be black during a game. The second pic is from various social media posts and the only black is from player uniforms when players are shown...1492129110140.thumb.jpg.3318f66452ec61627c45b9c472f59260.jpg

I noticed during last night's game the board was green instead of blue. Looks so much better then the black.

Now... just get rid of the bright green walls and the sculpture....

45 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

I noticed during last night's game the board was green instead of blue. Looks so much better then the black.

The story of baseball in the 10s: movng away from blending in but not quite ready to stick out.

Also, is black a Loria thing? 

4 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The story of baseball in the 10s: movng away from blending in but not quite ready to stick out.

Also, is black a Loria thing? 

Black is definitely a Loria thing, once he took over the Marlins the Florida Marlins lost more and more teal each year until they basically became the white sox by the end. 

1 hour ago, KGeeX5 said:

Yea but if they're gonna embrace being colorful and vibrant then the walls and the sculpture are going nowhere. They clearly fit what I was trying to show in those pics. The ballpark is supposed to look like a colorful piece of artwork. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yea but if they're gonna embrace being colorful and vibrant then the walls and the sculpture are going nowhere. They clearly fit what I was trying to show in those pics. The ballpark is supposed to look like a colorful piece of artwork. 

I can live with the walls, but the sculpture is just...terrible lol Some fountains or a large fish tank would be pretty unique out there

20 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

I can live with the walls, but the sculpture is just...terrible lol Some fountains or a large fish tank would be pretty unique out there

They tried to put a fish tank behind the plate but got in trouble. I still think it's an aquarium, though.

30 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

The green walls are awesome, and a fish tank in the outfield would be incredibly similar to the Rays' tank at the Trop.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, KGeeX5 said:

I'm not saying it's pretty haha. Just saying it goes with the color scheme. I'm a die hard Marlins fan so I've accepted the sculpture but I can't say I'd miss it if it was gone. And believe me most Marlins fans aren't as forgiving as I am.

Archived