MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I know Buster Olney was championing 21 for Roberto Clemente (and I understand why), but where does it end? That's why I don't like league-wide retirements. It starts a league down a slippery slope. 

Agreed. Not everyone needs to wear 42. If I went to the game and am staring at the players in the field and none of them have names on the backs of the jerseys and all are wearing 42, then how the hell am I supposed to know which player is playing in the field (especially on the visiting teams)? Not only is everyone wearing 42 an act of overkill, it's an impractical mess.

Just like the "special cause" uniforms. Started on one day with blue (and later pink for Mother's Day) wristbands. Then it went to bats, then it extended to caps and jerseys, now it's on caps and jerseys. And it's not just one day now, it's gonna be for the entire weekend. And that doesn't include all of the holidays, and then all of the BS camo being worn for random reasons.

Leave the damn uniforms alone. Pick a color scheme, get your home and road uniforms and one alternate jersey in your color scheme and stick to it. Don't give me the BS of hiding behind charity. If the cause is important (and most of the causes are important), then you don't need an incentive or extra reason to donate. People know about diseases and veterans, etc. You don't have to wear pink, blue, stars and stripes, camo, etc., to make people aware. Make your donation, honor some folks during the game. Hold a moment of silence for Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Lou Gehrig, anyone else, and have tributes between innings. But leave the freakin' uniforms alone.

6 hours ago, Mitch B said:

I don't understand all the hate for those socks.  They could be a little less busy, but I don't think they are that bad.

I don't think the complaint is really that they look bad, I think the complaint is that it's just a stupid idea.  It is basically the sock equivalent of a Tuxedo T-shirt.  It looks silly and tacky.

I think what people are trying to say is that IF they feel the need to rock a stirrup look, it would look 1000x better if they just wore actual stirrups instead of these silly socks that pretend to be stirrups. 

Dear Minnesota Twins, 

I'll give you some credit for trying to switch things up and add gold to your uniforms. Truth is it's a disaster, and you already had a great home uniform. Time to cut your loses and revert back to this beauty full-time. 

IMG_2469.JPG

9 minutes ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

Braves are wearing there traditional whites today instead of the weekend creams. They wore the whites yesterday as well, but I thought that was just because of Jackie Robinson day. Have the Braves dropped it?

No, it's just for opening weekend at SunTrust Park. The cream are still the weekend unis, just not for this weekend 

Not really saying anything except making an observation I've noticed in today's Marlins game. Same game, different cameras are providing drastic color changes of what's obviously the same uniforms. It was just extremely noticeable with the Marlins red orange jerseys in the dugout as the inning ended. The pic on the left is from behind the players and the pic on the right is from in front of the same players literally milliseconds apart. You can see the time setting from my dvr below it and they're both at 2:52 and just look how different the shades of orange look. You could assume they were different jerseys different colors different seasons etc etc. Crazy. Kinda makes you think about whenever we look at photographs of uniforms there are so many things that could change so many details and change the way we look at and interpret things. 1492368857158.thumb.jpg.2ca3581762b9120e9e1df94a2b30e4dd.jpg

On 4/15/2017 at 3:14 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

They were thinking "these look great".  And they were correct.

Well, they were correct insofar as the stirrups are concerned.  Those stripes above aren't helping.

But I don't care whether the stirrups are real or fake.  They look like stirrups; so they're good.  Likewise, I wouldn't really mind if a pullover jersey had a false front of buttons, as long as it preserved the appropriate look.

Im not an anti fake stirrups guy

Its the ankle cushion that is killing me

3 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Dear Minnesota Twins, 

I'll give you some credit for trying to switch things up and add gold to your uniforms. Truth is it's a disaster, and you already had a great home uniform. Time to cut your loses and revert back to this beauty full-time. 

IMG_2469.JPG

Is this jersey really better than the one they wore for the better part of the past 30 years? And if so, how? Is it because the jersey's cream and the wordmark's basic?

Indians back to the Wahoo hat with the navy jersey at home again today. Ugh. I wasn't high on the idea of the red hat with the Block C/navy jersey combo at home when it was first announced, but it looked pretty good on the field. Would be nice to stick with it.

7 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

Indians back to the Wahoo hat with the navy jersey at home again today. Ugh. I wasn't high on the idea of the red hat with the Block C/navy jersey combo at home when it was first announced, but it looked pretty good on the field. Would be nice to stick with it.

Odd for them to be possibly dropping this as the change to the red cap was well publicized so it looked like something they were committed to at least for one season. This wasn't one of those under the radar changes that only us uniform guys knew about. There were articles and news reports about this so I'm kinda surprised they aren't being forced to stick to it. 

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

Is this jersey really better than the one they wore for the better part of the past 30 years? And if so, how? Is it because the jersey's cream and the wordmark's basic?

They already have this one in rotation, but if they went back to the previous pinstripe with red wordmarknI'd be ok with that too. I do prefer this version. The script provides for a more classic look. I'd want the return of the M cap with the red wordmark. 

Maybe because I started collecting baseball cards the year before the M-cap debuted, but I always liked the TC cap and thought it was one of those quirky things that really made their uniform work, even when they had the powder-blue pullovers.  The M-cap never looked right to me, and I was glad that they eventually brought back teh TC.  I even like that the C is a wishbone and doesn't really match the T - it's just another one of those "things" that I wouldn't want to see created today, but is cool because it's always been that way (note - I'm not saying that everything that's mismatched or poorly designed is OK just because it's old.)

I like their addition of gold, though I think they could do it better.  I wouldn't mind if they went to the throwback jersey but added a gold shadow to the script and tail, and rear numbers.  Maybe experiment with a navy cap, red brim, white T, and gold C - or gold T and red C.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

It looked like :censored:... Glad they figured it out so quickly.

8 hours ago, HighCheese said:

Im so tired of that throwback twins uni. I hated seeing it every home game when killebrew died and im still fatigued from that

Huh thought I was the only one. I much prefer their 70s set. But hey, that tired old twins throwback at least looks better than their current set

Archived