MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

On 4/25/2017 at 7:47 AM, jmac11281 said:

As a man who will be getting married in a little over two weeks after a 15 month planning process, take your time! 

As a man who just signed his divorce papers after a two year marriage and two year engagement and 9 year relationship.....

take your time!

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, raysox said:

I doubt it, teams normally do the vote for the team name change later in the year

SilverBullet was asking about minor uniform changes for the big leagues.  Not minor league uniform changes. B)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Gosh, these Stance socks are cheesy. I guess some are okay, but a lot of them are just crap. The Golden Gate Bridge doesn't need to be on the socks. And giving teams even more options than they had before is just making the problem worse and a whole lot less uniform than it already was.

Remember when teams only had one socks design and it looked professional and not like a bunch of little leaguers that got their socks from 12 different stores? Those were the days

IMG_6230.thumb.JPG.93199244e21db4ec657fa368f9f60f41.JPG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 4/26/2017 at 10:05 AM, OnWis97 said:

I am generally with you on Jackie Robinson day.  Every year is OK.  But not everyone in 42.  It's early in the season, and sometimes there are players on my own team who I do not yet recognize by face.  It's like the Cubs celebrating the 1908 team by removing numbers; would anyone be for that?  Everyone in the same number is, functionally, the same as no numbers.  A patch of some kind should suffice.

I agree.  Baseball and its players don't mean much to me anymore, but growing up in the 70s, my once-a-year trip to a Reds game was a thing of wonder. We lived a long way from Cincinnati and I spent months anticipating the date.  I still remember the excitement of seeing the players in their uniforms in person...Bench 5, Perez 24, Morgan 8, Concepcion 13, Rose 14, Foster 15, Geronimo 20, Griffey 30...

Now, can you imagine how a lifelong memory would have been diminished if they had taken the field as 42, 42, 42, 42, 42, 42, 42, 42?

Okay, perhaps it's a weak argument and maybe people should be aware of when Jackie Robinson Day is and choose another date if seeing the original uniforms is important, but I still contend that there are so many other ways to honor the man and his legacy without the uniform number overkill.

10 minutes ago, Jungle Jim said:

I agree.  Baseball and its players don't mean much to me anymore, but growing up in the 70s, my once-a-year trip to a Reds game was a thing of wonder. We lived a long way from Cincinnati and I spent months anticipating the date.  I still remember the excitement of seeing the players in their uniforms in person...Bench 5, Perez 24, Morgan 8, Concepcion 13, Rose 14, Foster 15, Geronimo 20, Griffey 30...

Now, can you imagine how a lifelong memory would have been diminished if they had taken the field as 42, 42, 42, 42, 42, 42, 42, 42?

Okay, perhaps it's a weak argument and maybe people should be aware of when Jackie Robinson Day is and choose another date if seeing the original uniforms is important, but I still contend that there are so many other ways to honor the man and his legacy without the uniform number overkill.

Good point and that's the same reason I've always argued the Yankees should never have a home alternate. I'd be pissed if I went to see them and they were wearing a blue alternate. Most people probably don't care, but that would bother me. 

The 42 thing can be accomplished with a one day patch on every team's jersey. If a guy wants to wear 42 that day, which is what started this, then the league should say "sorry you can't. It's retired". 

I've been to a couple 42 games and it's really annoying as a fan. I barely know who my own team is and I definitely don't know the visiting team. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

49 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Good point and that's the same reason I've always argued the Yankees should never have a home alternate. I'd be pissed if I went to see them and they were wearing a blue alternate. Most people probably don't care, but that would bother me. 

The 42 thing can be accomplished with a one day patch on every team's jersey. If a guy wants to wear 42 that day, which is what started this, then the league should say "sorry you can't. It's retired". 

I've been to a couple 42 games and it's really annoying as a fan. I barely know who my own team is and I definitely don't know the visiting team. 

That happened to me with the Cubs at Wrigley.  It was not my only game at Wrigley, thankfully, but it still bugged me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Gosh, these Stance socks are cheesy. I guess some are okay, but a lot of them are just crap. The Golden Gate Bridge doesn't need to be on the socks. And giving teams even more options than they had before is just making the problem worse and a whole lot less uniform than it already was.

Remember when teams only had one socks design and it looked professional and not like a bunch of little leaguers that got their socks from 12 different stores? Those were the days

IMG_6230.thumb.JPG.93199244e21db4ec657fa368f9f60f41.JPG

I agree with what you have said here. 

But there is another angle:  even though the various sock designs are bad from the standpoint of introducing variety into something that should be uniform (and also from the standpoint of usually being badly designed in their own right), they have the effect of inducing players to abandon the pajama-pants look and to show some sock.  

So, while I don't like seeing multiple version of sock on the same team, I really hate seeing no sock.  Perhaps we have to live with the various sock designs as the price of getting players to wear their pants correctly, in the absence of a rule to this effect.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But there is another angle:  even though the various sock designs are bad from the standpoint of introducing variety into something that should be uniform (and also from the standpoint of usually being badly designed in their own right), they have the effect of inducing players to abandon the pajama-pants look and to show some sock.  

So, while I don't like seeing multiple version of sock on the same team, I really hate seeing no sock.  Perhaps we have to live with the various sock designs as the price of getting players to wear their pants correctly, in the absence of a rule to this effect.

I'm pretty much on board with what you said. I'd prefer to have one uniform sock style, but even more than that, I'd love to not see players' pant legs dragging on the ground. It just looks unprofessional. My hope is that these new designs, while perhaps a bit over the top with some, continue to encourage players to show some sock, and in turn show team colors, and that maybe down the line, MLB will institute a one-design policy. Maybe a team doesn't necessarily have to have one sock design, but at least mandate that everyone on the field has to wear the same design on the same day.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You make a great point. As one who advocates for socks being uniform across the board, maybe this is a good step to encourage the wearing of them more. And as Matito said, maybe down the line the league can streamline this a little better. 

Now hopefully, if that does happen, the single design settled on per team isn't the corny ones. Let's hope it's stripes or solids of some sort! 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 4/26/2017 at 10:44 AM, CardsFan79 said:

Seeing the Marlins logo here makes me wonder why they even need to have black in their color scheme at all.  I'd prefer home whites with blue or orange caps, road grays, and if they have to do alts blue w/ blue cap, orange w/ orange cap.  No need for black at all.

Going off of my previous comment, in my opinion, these are the only 2 caps the Marlins need.

Both work with the home whites, road grays and if they want, matching alts.  No need for black anywhere.

IMG_3657.JPEG

IMG_3658.JPEG

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

I've never been the biggest fan of their orange hat, but that light blue one is beautiful. 1) it's just a beautiful color, and 2) the colors of the logo accent the light blue background better than the orange, I feel. They stand out there as opposed to getting a little lost in the orange, which I feel competes too much for your attention for a vibrant logo like that to work against it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I've never been the biggest fan of their orange hat, but that light blue one is beautiful. 1) it's just a beautiful color, and 2) the colors of the logo accent the light blue background better than the orange, I feel. They stand out there as opposed to getting a little lost in the orange, which I feel competes too much for your attention for a vibrant logo like that to work against it.

I agree.  If it was one or the other it would be the blue one for sure!  In the pic I posted the blue looks a little darker than it really is.  It should match this:

IMG_3659.JPEG

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

32 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Really well said. 

3 hours ago, CardsFan79 said:

Going off of my previous comment, in my opinion, these are the only 2 caps the Marlins need.

Both work with the home whites, road grays and if they want, matching alts.  No need for black anywhere.

IMG_3657.JPEG

IMG_3658.JPEG

I'd agree and even say remove the black outline too to make an even cleaner, brighter, look.

Hopefully it has not been mentioned yet. It's very minor, but José Ramírez now has an accent mark on his jersey.

I really like the use of special characters and accents on MLB uniforms in recent years.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived