TVIXX

MLB Changes 2017

Recommended Posts

GFB    766
19 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

He wasn't literally saying it was rushed, unfinished, or amateur... he's pointing out how the beveling is truncated on several letters and it gives the impression that there is more work to be done. He's giving his reason for not liking it, as am I.

 

I don't think he's trying to offend the designers or imply that they didn't do their job. 

 

Give me a break. Was he being serious? Most likely not. But it's a lazy joke (and judging by his profile picture, right up his sense of humor).

 

I'm not saying you have to like the logo; rather, I am saying that if your reasons for not liking the design is that you believe it looks like it is "unfinished" or "needs more work," then you're flat out wrong and uniformed. The styling is obviously an intentional decision and it is complete as-is.

 

Here's are some valid criticisms:

- "I would have liked to have seen more consistent beveling."

- "I don't believe the logo needs the gold styling at all."

- "The randomness of the gold beveling makes the logo more difficult to read."

 

Those are all perfectly valid criticisms of the World Series logo.

 

You can disagree with the decision to highlight the logo in that abstract manner, but to say that it looks unfinished or rushed is wrong and lazy commenting.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
masterchaoss    89
16 minutes ago, GFB said:

 

This comment bothers me. It feels absolutely nothing like that. 

 

You don't have to like the styling (as some others have before you have complained), but don't just throw out that this is rushed or unfinished work. Believe me, there's a time and a place to call out shoddy design and craftsmanship; but this is not that time.

 

Sorry, I just hate the "I don't personally like it so it must be amateur hour" line of thinking.

I'm not going after designer, he'll I'm pretty sure doing this is harder than just outlining it but it just what it looks like to me and I'm sure that's what the average fan will think as well. this artist is 100s of times better than I am and I'm sorry if my phrasing made it look like I'm going after them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBullet1929    1,032
7 minutes ago, GFB said:

Those are all perfectly valid criticisms of the World Series logo. You can disagree with the decision to highlight the logo in that abstract manner, but to say that it looks unfinished or rushed is wrong and lazy commenting.

Image result for zack greinke diamondbacks

The sleeve piping on the jersey above does not completely wrap around the sleeve therefore it looks unfinished. That is a perfectly valid criticism and means the same as him saying "I would have liked to have seen more consistent beveling" as you suggested he say for the WS logo.

 

Those words don't mean he or I are "flat out wrong and uninformed." It also isn't wrong and lazy commenting. That's a pretty bold accusation just because of his and my choice of words in what we don't like about that logo. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2017 at 6:38 PM, aawagner011 said:

IMG_8834.JPG

 

What I find interesting is I think this is the first special event uniform the Braves have worn in a looooong time that features the tomahawk.

 

On 5/3/2017 at 1:55 PM, Victormrey said:

As a Spanish native speaker, I must say I usually don't like when MLB teams do this kind of things, and it's because a simple reason: it doesn't look right.

Most of the teams just add "Los" in front the original name, which can't be really translated into Spanish, e.g. "Los Mets" and "Los DBacks" (they would have to use "Los Metropolitanos" or "Los Diamantados", which don't sound good, imo). Others properly translate the name, but add the "Los", which ain't needed at all, e.g. "Los Reales" or "Los Rojos". Meanwhile, other teams do a proper job, like "Cerveceros", "Tigres" or "Marineros".

I prefer what the MLB did last year: the "Ponle Acento" (Put an Accent) campaign.

 

The "Los" is stupid.  Actually going with Spanish is the best option, although not all uniforms allow for it.  I wouldn't mind seeing the Yankees join in on the road with a one-off that otherwise is exactly the same as the away gray.  They could print money with a "Nueva York" jersey.

 

2 hours ago, insert name said:

Thoughts? I think a baseball diamond in the background would upgrade the logo.

2017-World-Series-Logo-Spotted.jpg

2017-World-Series-Logo-590x567.jpg

2017-MLB-Postseason-Logo-590x195.jpg

 

Took me a little bit to figure out why this looked familiar.  It reminds me of the font used for the new annual MLB Countdown specials.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GFB    766
2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Image result for zack greinke diamondbacks

The sleeve piping on the jersey above does not completely wrap around the sleeve therefore it looks unfinished. That is a perfectly valid criticism and means the same as him saying "I would have liked to have seen more consistent beveling" as you suggested he say for the WS logo.

 

Those words don't mean he or I are "flat out wrong and uninformed." It also isn't wrong and lazy commenting. That's a pretty bold accusation just because of his and my choice of words in what we don't like about that logo. 

 

 

 

First, those two statements are not saying the same thing because one says that "this design is whole/complete and wrong" and the other says "this is not whole/complete at all." That's a big difference.

 

Second, yes, most people aren't going to phrase their critiques in the best or most clear of ways. That's ok! But go back to the original post. If he had said, "I don't get the beveling, this design feels unfinished;" then sure, I get what he's saying in layman's terms (not that the design is unfinished, but that it only feels that way). Instead, he made a snarky comment about the designer not doing his job and signing off on incomplete work. That implication changes the meaning of the criticism.

 

 

2 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

I'm not going after designer, he'll I'm pretty sure doing this is harder than just outlining it but it just what it looks like to me and I'm sure that's what the average fan will think as well. this artist is 100s of times better than I am and I'm sorry if my phrasing made it look like I'm going after them. 

 

 

I get it, and really it's cool that you're here commenting. Honestly, I wouldn't have said anything had I not seen similar sentiments repeated from other posters in many different threads. Sorry if it seemed like I was going after you... It was way the post was phrased that irritated me, not you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBullet1929    1,032
1 hour ago, GFB said:

sure, I get what he's saying in layman's terms (not that the design is unfinished, but that it only feels that way). Instead, he made a snarky comment about the designer not doing his job and signing off on incomplete work. That implication changes the meaning of the criticism.

So you understood what he meant but didn't appreciate his choice of words/his wording because it implies something else. This is what I was getting at to begin with that your problem is with his wording. Most people here speak in layman's terms more often than not, you can't just call his comments snarky because he used layman's terms, especially when he admitted above that he wasn't trying to go after the designer. I felt like you were quick to defend the designers there. But no big deal, it's a debate on vocabulary and not on design opinions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GFB    766
39 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So you understood what he meant but didn't appreciate his choice of words/his wording because it implies something else. This is what I was getting at to begin with that your problem is with his wording. Most people here speak in layman's terms more often than not, you can't just call his comments snarky because he used layman's terms, especially when he admitted above that he wasn't trying to go after the designer. I felt like you were quick to defend the designers there. But no big deal, it's a debate on vocabulary and not on design opinions. 

 
1
 
 

 

Woah, that quote is so far out-of-context. Did you even read what I said? You have to add "If he had said it (THIS) way, then..." at the start of the quote.  

 

Regardless, stop trying to paint the original poster's intentions as some paragon of innocence. He wasn't trying to make a thoughtful criticism of the design and he simply wasn't able to phrase it properly; he tried to make an offhand comment putting down the design in the form of a lame joke. That's the definition of snark

 

I'm done arguing this with you. ✌️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matito    264
2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Image result for zack greinke diamondbacks

The sleeve piping on the jersey above does not completely wrap around the sleeve therefore it looks unfinished.

The rest of the post aside, I've never noticed this. I got drafted by the D-Backs in MLB The Show 17 and have played parts of three seasons with them and still never noticed this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
swilson160    158
4 hours ago, GFB said:

 

Give me a break. Was he being serious? Most likely not. But it's a lazy joke (and judging by his profile picture, right up his sense of humor).

 

I'm not saying you have to like the logo; rather, I am saying that if your reasons for not liking the design is that you believe it looks like it is "unfinished" or "needs more work," then you're flat out wrong and uniformed. The styling is obviously an intentional decision and it is complete as-is.

 

Here's are some valid criticisms:

- "I would have liked to have seen more consistent beveling."

- "I don't believe the logo needs the gold styling at all."

- "The randomness of the gold beveling makes the logo more difficult to read."

 

Those are all perfectly valid criticisms of the World Series logo.

 

You can disagree with the decision to highlight the logo in that abstract manner, but to say that it looks unfinished or rushed is wrong and lazy commenting.

 

 

 

Man, it's jackasses like you that make these boards no fun to visit anymore.  Why can't people just talk about logos and uniforms they like and/or don't like?  I know many of the people on here are designers themselves so this is their livelihood, but we're all here because we enjoy talking about this stuff, right?  Do we all need to take it so seriously?  What does this kind of response accomplish other than making this thread a drag to try to follow?  It happens in almost every thread these days.  Who the hell wants to read a thread where 2/3 of the posts are people bitching back and forth at each other about something that is only tangentially related to the thread topic?  I've been on here for 12 years and it just seems much worse than it has ever been recently.

 

edit: and yes I know I'm doing the same thing I'm complaining about here but it's my first time so i get a pass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBullet1929    1,032
3 hours ago, GFB said:

 

Woah, that quote is so far out-of-context. Did you even read what I said? You have to add "If he had said it (THIS) way, then..." at the start of the quote.  

 

Regardless, stop trying to paint the original poster's intentions as some paragon of innocence. He wasn't trying to make a thoughtful criticism of the design and he simply wasn't able to phrase it properly; he tried to make an offhand comment putting down the design in the form of a lame joke. That's the definition of snark

 

I'm done arguing this with you. ✌️

Of course I read what you wrote. And the original poster did say he wasn't trying to make a snark comment and he apologized for it, the quote is below. Am I reading it wrong? 

 

Not sure what you're so hot headed about, I'm not trying to argue with you. Sorry I offended you. 

 

5 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

I'm not going after designer, he'll I'm pretty sure doing this is harder than just outlining it but it just what it looks like to me and I'm sure that's what the average fan will think as well. this artist is 100s of times better than I am and I'm sorry if my phrasing made it look like I'm going after them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2001mark    1,188
9 hours ago, insert name said:

Thoughts? I think a baseball diamond in the background would upgrade the logo.

 

2017-World-Series-Logo-590x567.jpg

 

One of the finest ever.  It's conveying something regal, important about the event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gothamite    6,092
3 hours ago, swilson160 said:

Man, it's jackasses like you that make these boards no fun to visit anymore.  

 

Can we all just back down and leave it now?  Personal insults aren't a terribly good idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WavePunter    696

I like everything about the logo except the random beveling.. It doesn't look incomplete - it looks worse.. It looks like a hack designer wanted to "spice up" the typography with random beveling that, at first impression, appears to have absolutely no rhyme or reason.. It looks like the type of thing designers know most people won't notice, so they can get away with it and add some flair by throwing gold beveling around "willy-nilly" to get a more interesting final product than the actual amount of thought and effort would generally yield..

 

For the record, I'm not saying that's what it is.. I'm just saying that's what it looks like..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MNtwins3    49

I freaking love the World Series logo this year. It looks so clean and modern. Love that font

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2001mark    1,188

The random bevelling actually put it over the top for me.  #unpopularopinion

 

When the logos aren't presented in such large scale as they've been here, it'll look even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ice_Cap    7,798
22 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

 

You mean nine.

1076px-2008_World_Series.svg.png

Nah, that was a massive downgrade from the 07 look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now