MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Interleague happens every day now...!  One series has to be interleague.  

Right, my bad. Point still stands. There's too damn many because of the odd number of teams. 

XM4KeeA.png

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Interleague pretty much happens every day now...!  One series has to be interleague.  I guess on some Mondays and Thursdays you can have regular league play, but it's rare.  

yeah. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday-Sunday there has to be at least one interleague game. Monday thursday there does not have to be, but mostly is

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 5/16/2017 at 0:12 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

But on the field???? This is all starting to be too much to process.

And my biggest problem with this is that with so much pink everywhere now (it used to just be bats, wrist bands, cleats, accessories, and then caps but now it's on caps, jerseys, numbers, wordmarks, sleeve patches, belts, socks, and cleats) now it's so hard to actually tell which team is which at a glance.

Go watch any highlight shows mothers day and it's not easy to decipher which teams are which as the action is shown on the screen. I had a hard time differentiating the teams in the one game I was watching on Mothers day and I knew who was playing and where they were playing. Of course there's ways to figure it out but I was at a family BBQ and the game was on and as I'm walking around socializing with my family, several times as I peeked up at the tv screen I'd have to process several things to realize which team was where. It's not the instant recognition that you usually get in a regular game. 

That problem in general applies to all alt unis. College football especially.

It's where I sit.

On 5/16/2017 at 0:12 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Individually and off the field almost all the mothers day gear looks great. I bought my wife one of the mothers day caps for her birthday, which is right before mothers day, and she loved it. Being able to wear our teams logo in pink once in a while is cool. The jerseys are fun for moms and grandmothers to wear, and even for guys on that day to support the moms. And the socks are fine for these trendy cool kids now that like the high socks fad in their regular everyday clothes...

But on the field???? This is all starting to be too much to process.

And my biggest problem with this is that with so much pink everywhere now (it used to just be bats, wrist bands, cleats, accessories, and then caps but now it's on caps, jerseys, numbers, wordmarks, sleeve patches, belts, socks, and cleats) now it's so hard to actually tell which team is which at a glance.

Go watch any highlight shows mothers day and it's not easy to decipher which teams are which as the action is shown on the screen. I had a hard time differentiating the teams in the one game I was watching on Mothers day and I knew who was playing and where they were playing. Of course there's ways to figure it out but I was at a family BBQ and the game was on and as I'm walking around socializing with my family, several times as I peeked up at the tv screen I'd have to process several things to realize which team was where. It's not the instant recognition that you usually get in a regular game. 

Since it seems like an all-weekend thing now, put the home team in pink one day, road the other for the uniforms. Every team is still in, so the merch keeps flowing, but the whole thing is more watchable. Then on the equipment side players can just do whatever.

This picture popped up on the Astros main authenticification/historian guy's twitter and reminds me again of how much the Astros need to use this as the inspiration for their Sunday alts. Love the white letters on dark navy blue. 

IMG_6803.JPG

If they're going for a Preakness tribute, some sort of black-eyed susan design would be more on point than just Maryland.

Like how the Red Sox special jerseys for marathon day should be BAA blue and gold.

44 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

Well, I'm shocked these will be used in the game Saturday.  Fanatics calls them the "Preakness" jersey, obviously after the famous horse race the same day in Baltimore.18527501_10150827652354990_6296470097451

Still SCREAMS minor league-ish

18 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

I actually think that Orioles jersey looks better than I would have expected.

Close up, I agree. But in game I think it will look like a mess.

40 minutes ago, RichO said:

If they're going for a Preakness tribute, some sort of black-eyed susan design would be more on point than just Maryland.

Like how the Red Sox special jerseys for marathon day should be BAA blue and gold.

Orioles are describing it as a Celebrate Maryland day and jersey, only fanatics is saying preakness

EDIT: www.facebook.com%2FOrioles%2Fposts%2F10150827655529990

Also, i love the jersey. And if it is minor leagueish, so what. Orioles are typically fantastic with jersey rotation and wearing thier whites/greys on a regular basis.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

If baseball was any other sport I would agree there should be no interleague.

But baseball stadiums are all different and interesting, and because of that I'm glad there's interleague.

8 hours ago, TVIXX said:

It's really ironic that the Red Sox says they hate the Yankees, but dress exactly like them

image.jpg

image.jpg

Don't see the irony. Sox wore gray with navy lettering beginning in 1901 - two years before the Yankees existed - and wore it for 2/3 of the 20th century.

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Or,  better yet, never.

(It was on account of interleague play that I retired as a baseball fan.)

On one hand, I'm a traditionalist who hates interleague play.  I long for the days of four divisions and looking forward to the all-important showdowns between my Reds and their NL West rivals Dodgers, where each game counted for two games in the standings.  

Looking back, I think my love of MLB ended with the 1994 realignment.  "Making the playoffs" was cheapened and the Reds-Dodgers rivalry that I so loved was killed off.  I've still followed the Reds to some extent since, but I've had no real emotional investment.

That being said, I do take special interest when the Reds play teams like the Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox, A's, etc.  I might even tune into games I would otherwise ignore, so I guess, for MLB's purposes, it works.  Still, if I could wave magic wand, I'd go back to the MLB of 1969-1993.

4 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

On one hand, I'm a traditionalist who hates interleague play.  I long for the days of four divisions and looking forward to the all-important showdowns between my Reds and their NL West rivals Dodgers, where each game counted for two games in the standings.  

Looking back, I think my love of MLB ended with the 1994 realignment.  "Making the playoffs" was cheapened and the Reds-Dodgers rivalry that I so loved was killed off.  I've still followed the Reds to some extent since, but I've had no real emotional investment.

That being said, I do take special interest when the Reds play teams like the Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox, A's, etc.  I might even tune into games I would otherwise ignore, so I guess, for MLB's purposes, it works.  Still, if I could wave magic wand, I'd go back to the MLB of 1969-1993.

"Making the playoffs was cheapened" is accurate but a business necessity.  Baseball wasnt going to ignore the additional revenue, especially in the 90s when money in sports increased faster than any previous time.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived