MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm pretty sure the only reason the Orioles started wearing it was to declare themselves as "Maryland's team" and ward off their Maryland fans jumping ship to the Nationals. Heck, the year the flag patch debuted (2009), was the same year that the team brought back the "Baltimore" script on their road grays. 

Peter Angelos was always the most vocal opponent to the return of baseball to Washington, D.C. After realizing he couldn't keep a team away, the Orioles' marketing strategy shifted towards a Maryland/Baltimore-oriented approach to their identity.

In 1998, Peter Angelos bid on the Redskins, losing out to Dan Snyder.    14 straight years of losing sent attendance in Baltimore on a straight path downhill.  Attendance in Baltimore peaked in 1997 and by 2004 (the last year without a Nats team in the area) , it was down 26% and continued to fall after that.  To make a short story long, some fans had already jumped ship; new uniforms weren't going to change that.  It took years of fans asking for Angelos to relent to "Baltimore" on the away jerseys, Nats or no Nats.  The Nats moved into their new park in 2008, but in my opinion there were different economics at work why it took so long for the uniform switch.    For years, Angelos was simply cheap.  Rather than buying new uniforms for the Orioles MiLB affiliates, he had the Orioles lettering stripped off the used game jerseys and re-lettered for them.

I like the metanarrative that the Bucky Dent home run (which codified the 1978 collapse) killed the Red Sox's brief flirtation with red-crowned caps and pullovers/sansabelts. If you want to see what the current uniforms would look like with a red-crowned cap, here's the 1997 experiment that thankfully lasted only a year (with white hats, too):

1188443547_404f51141e.jpg2cf5zjb.jpg

If the Red Sox have to have an alternate, I'd rather they go with a navy-centric grey throwback or the 1908 uniform:

21066332-mmmain.jpgnomarretro.jpg

What? I'm a sucker for the laces and polo collars in baseball.;)

kinda disappointed that the Reds didn't wear big red machine throwbacks today for Pete Rose's statue  unveiling/ Red's HOF induction. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

36 minutes ago, lahaye7 said:

kinda disappointed that the Reds didn't wear big red machine throwbacks today for Pete Rose's statue  unveiling/ Red's HOF induction. 

Didnt have a choice. MLB mandated father's day jerseys today and tomorrow. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

Didnt have a choice. MLB mandated father's day jerseys today and tomorrow. 

25 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

If that's the case, why were the Reds wearing their normal home uniforms today?

DCkECYvVoAAs3Gn.jpg

Teams actually can opt out from wearing the special event uniforms, but most don't. Glad to see the Reds doing just that today, and the Dodgers actually did as well. I suspect they'll both wear the Dads' day uniforms tomorrow, though.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Indians/Twins playing two today. Game 1 was the Father's Day set.

Game 2: White Twins, blue Indians matched with the Father's Day hat. It's as bad as it sounds.

And Cleveland really needs to ditch the nameplates. They're one of the last holdouts from direct stitching.

57 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Teams actually can opt out from wearing the special event uniforms, but most don't. Glad to see the Reds doing just that today, and the Dodgers actually did as well. I suspect they'll both wear the Dads' day uniforms tomorrow, though.

This makes the whole Yankees/Jeter retirement ceremony even more confusing. If they could opt out (at least one of the two days) I feel like they would be the team to do so. Especially for that a jersey retirement.

SEAsig.png

2 minutes ago, LEWJ said:

It looks like Lindor cut his stance socks into stirrups (the dots are on his sanitaries ?).

FB_IMG_1497839393147.jpg

Yep, he and another Cleveland player did the same thing with the camo Memorial Day socks. And he always wears Trusox under his stirrups, which is why there are those black dots.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

This may fall under unpopular opinions since generally I can't stand MLB's special "cash grab" uniforms but if the Rays changed their script to the lighter blue used on the Father's Day jersey's I wouldn't be against it or hate it.  I actually, dare I say it, liked it but only the script, not the caps or socks.

Archived