MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The split color SD is actually something that goes back to the PCL Padres, and of course ties into the 98 team. I think it might be the one design element all Padres fan get behind.

Not this fan. The issue is the split is simply a weaker look. The mark is well crafted to be one, single form. Then add to it that is doesn't translate on a light background and you have a disjointed brand.

21 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Make the SD on the cap all yellow, no outline, and I'd be 100% on board for that being the away.

Me, too.  I like that jersey, but the cap is all manner of awful.

18 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Not this fan. The issue is the split is simply a weaker look. The mark is well crafted to be one, single form. Then add to it that is doesn't translate on a light background and you have a disjointed brand.

Couldn't agree more.  The split is a much weaker mark, because the various elements have such unequal weights.  At any distance, the white jumps out and the orange recedes into the background.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0148c833e209970c.gif

57 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Where else have you seen that?

Some random on Twitter is using it, and I keep forgetting where I saw it the first time, but it keeps popping up in official images in my timeline from time to time.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

It looks like a roundel that someone made up because no one recognizes the ridiculously generic block C.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I think that's the one he was talking about.

CnNJ3yhWEAE9km5.jpg

I usually prefer the full city name on roads, but I did like this.

That's not a Padres road uni for 2016. That was a one off for the ASG only. It was never worn during the regular season.

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

The split color SD is actually something that goes back to the PCL Padres, and of course ties into the 98 team. I think it might be the one design element all Padres fan get behind.

I agree. The 2016 home with the yellow D has been pretty popular around San Diego anecdotally. And at the end of the year the hats most sold out from the Padres team store were the 2016 home and the 1998 style with the white S and orange D.

5 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

That's not a Padres road uni for 2016. That was a one off for the ASG only. It was never worn during the regular season.

Such a shame I like these more than their regular roads

Just now, Rj0498 said:

Such a shame I like these more than their regular roads

I like that they incorporated the yellow. I dislike that they don't have the city name on them. Having the city name spelled out on an away uniform should be mandated by MLB. Cap logos belong on caps, not jerseys.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Me, too.  I like that jersey, but the cap is all manner of awful.

Couldn't agree more.  The split is a much weaker mark, because the various elements have such unequal weights.  At any distance, the white jumps out and the orange recedes into the background.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0148c833e209970c.gif

Still the best uniform the Pads have ever worn. Wish they'd just go back to it and be done with it.

On 10/24/2016 at 11:45 AM, AstroBull21 said:

Ok, so these new BP tops are for that, just BP.  I bet we see those Spring Training jerseys from 2016 appear again in 2017 and they will be ST only as well.

The ST jerseys became dual-use during the regular season this year.  Once the FL/AZ sleeve patches were removed, some teams used them for BP, some teams used them as regular alternates, and some didn't use them at all.  And the previous iteration of the BP jersey was still in use as well by some teams (the one with the collar trim).  And on top of that, some teams only wore their hoodies or fleece for BP, eschewing any BP tops.  It was just a horrible mix of stuff.

But back to the original point, the 2017 ST jerseys will probably be the 2016 ones, meaning they'll become available alternates once things get underway for real.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

31 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

It looks like a roundel that someone made up because no one recognizes the ridiculously generic block C.

That's why I use the "C" from the 20's as my avatar. Used to use the Greek "C", but then decided to switch to this one.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

34 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I like that they incorporated the yellow. I dislike that they don't have the city name on them. Having the city name spelled out on an away uniform should be mandated by MLB. Cap logos belong on caps, not jerseys.

The problem is the SD is a very well crafted design, whereas the past Padres and San Diego wordmarks have been really poorly done. If the designers would take as much time to craft a really well designed Padres and San Diego workmark, I'd be all for it. But until I see one, I'm content with simply using the SD for everything. 

59 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

The problem is the SD is a very well crafted design, whereas the past Padres and San Diego wordmarks have been really poorly done. If the designers would take as much time to craft a really well designed Padres and San Diego workmark, I'd be all for it. But until I see one, I'm content with simply using the SD for everything. 

Have to disagree there. The '85-'03 Padres wordmark was beautiful, especially with the orange drop shadow. And while simple, the '91-'03 San Diego wordmark wasn't bad. And the '78-'84 Padres wordmark, while not my favorite color, was also not a bad style at all. In fact throw a little yellow where the grey is on the former Tucson Padres jerseys and you have a great modern update.

ct2debghgllghqwwgjf1eqsep.gif

4 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Have to disagree there. The '85-'03 Padres wordmark was beautiful, especially with the orange drop shadow. And while simple, the '91-'03 San Diego wordmark wasn't bad. And the '78-'84 Padres wordmark, while not my favorite color, was also not a bad style at all. In fact throw a little yellow where the grey is on the former Tucson Padres jerseys and you have a great modern update.

ct2debghgllghqwwgjf1eqsep.gif

Oh, yes, you got me on that (1978). The horizontal version of the round type was really well done. It started to lose it when the arc was applied. But, yes, that one was great. The 91-03 was just too much "ice cream parlor" and not enough crafted style for my liking. Also the double outlines (like with the Brewers) didn't do it any favors. 

4646016835_d3fe9c96f9_o.jpg

10 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I like the new font that the Padres have come up with. It's a little plain and arbitrary but it's consistent and what fonts aren't arbitrary?

Archived