MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

At this point, I'm not so sure about that. They finally settled on an identity after years and years of identity musical chairs. Not only that, but they finally settled on the right one. And for probably the first time in franchise history, an entire generation only knows, save really small tweaks, one White Sox look. They would be a whole lot better off standing pat* and not venturing into more change at the risk of undoing the strength of their brand.

*Except they can drop the overrated 80's throwbacks yesterday

Bang on. 

The ideal White Sox set would be the same homes but with the diamond sock on the left sleeve, go back to the 2005 version of the aways, and a slightly cleaned-up black alternate. And yes, white socks for all uniforms.

As for a throwback alt? The '59 homes. Or do a cream fauxback like St. Louis, where red (and a sleeve number in place of a chest number) is added to the current home design. 

Do this, and the Sox never have to change again. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At very least, the White Sox need to bring back the old road pants. What an unnecessary downgrade it was to get rid of those.

89G60jl.jpg

It would also be nice if they started actually wearing white socks. Not only does it match their team name, it's also a good look for them anyway.

3DPc4u9.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

7 hours ago, daveindc said:

That's not even close to the same thing. Those black and red uniforms were actually worn during their history.

Don´t care, they look awful. Sox current uniform is a classic.  

Don´t change it and wait 50 years, then we have the Yankee legacy.

2 hours ago, Shumway said:

The Padres also participated in the throwback celebration (although they wore their current alt helmets)

59604af029aef.image.jpg

Padres_Phillies_Baseball_31069.jpg

Those Padres uniforms may look terrible, but the lack of the Taco Bell cap (as seen with the helmets) takes them from an F to a solid C. They still have a pointless accent color (orange) and a dated font, but at least the headwear looks better and the brown/yellow is still fun.

5 hours ago, Surf said:

Don´t care, they look awful. Sox current uniform is a classic.  

Don´t change it and wait 50 years, then we have the Yankee legacy.

What makes the Yankees' uniform iconic is the winning history they have while wearing it. That's the "Yankee legacy".

Comparing the uniforms, the Yankees at least benefit from that nice shade of navy. The White Sox all-black look justs often gets stale.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That's such a great color.  So much better than their boring red. 

Better for the pinstripes, too - they don't look pink. 

My ideal Phillies look would be their 1950s script (and cap) in maroon. I could go for powder blue stars on the wordmark as well (I love powder blue and maroon together - there's a reason the closely-related claret and blue is such a popular color combination over in England).

I can't say I've ever been a fan of the lowercase P used by the Phils in the 70s, nor the racing stripe. But the maroon color itself? It's perfect for the Phils. Wish they'd bring it back.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Better for the pinstripes, too - they don't look pink. 

The pinstripes on the throwback are the same as the current pinstripes, no?  Unless they're woven vs however it is now.  Either way, they should be the same red color.

A better throwback would be the '87-'91 version, with maroon pinstripes and the swirl-P chest logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Those Padres uniforms may look terrible, but the lack of the Taco Bell cap (as seen with the helmets) takes them from an F to a solid C. They still have a pointless accent color (orange) and a dated font, but at least the headwear looks better and the brown/yellow is still fun.

I was like you once but I've seen the light. The design leaves a lot to be desired (and it is almost 30 years old) but it's not enough for them to just bring back brown, they have to bring back the lower case font and orange as a tertiary color.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The pinstripes on the throwback are the same as the current pinstripes, no?  Unless they're woven vs however it is now.  Either way, they should be the same red color.

A better throwback would be the '87-'91 version, with maroon pinstripes and the swirl-P chest logo.

I thought that's what they were throwing back to.  Small picture on my phone. 

I'm with you - the maroon pinstripes were the best.  Whether they went full throwback with the Swirly P or a modified Whiz Kids logo, the maroon color is a must. 

Angels and Rangers are throwing back to 1977 tonight, but they're both in road uniforms; Angels in gray, and Rangers in powder blues.  The Angels continue to royally screw up the throwback look by wearing red batting helmets (for the second year in a row). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:
15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Image result for phillies padres 2017

Phillies wearing some of the best throwbacks in baseball last night.

And it's such a great logo.

While I appreciate the fact that the current logo and wordmark resemble the ones from the 1950s, this P logo is so much better. It's such a beautiful baseball mark, one which works equally well as a cap monogram and as a jersey logo.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

21 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

While I appreciate the fact that the current logo and wordmark resemble the ones from the 1950s, this P logo is so much better. It's such a beautiful baseball mark, one which works equally well as a cap monogram and as a jersey logo.

It is a good logo, but it's pretty dated.  It just screams 1970s/80s.

21 minutes ago, rxmc89 said:
45 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It is a good logo, but it's pretty dated.  It just screams 1970s/80s.

See, this is an example of why I so dislike the critique "dated". Just because a logo shows evidence of when it was created, this does not mean that it is inappropriate for subsequent eras. For example, the Tigers' D logo "screams 1920s" to the same extent that this Phillies P logo "screams 1970s". But both are logos that, once established, could stand indefinitely.

Fortunately, the Tigers have had the good sense to leave the D logo untouched, while the Phillies foolishly messed with perfection. And, in a strange irony, the Phillies replaced a strong logo whose origin is obviously in the 1970s with a logo whose origin is obviously in the 1950s, but a weaker one which has aged much less well, and which could more reasonably be called "dated". (A similarly misguided logo change was just undertaken by the Toronto Maple Leafs.)

But, again, I reject the validity of "dated" as a criticism, or at least as a primary criticism. (There are people on this board who have called the Yankee logo dated!) Critiques of a logo ought to be based primarily on an analysis of the logo's aesthetic characteristics, and should not consist simply of naming the period from which the logo dates. You acknowledge that this is a good logo. A good design does not become less good over time.  

I'd call this P logo superior to the current P logo because it is more cleverly designed and because its shape is more aesthetically pleasing (not because one of these logos was created in the 1970s and the other was created in the 1950s).

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

15 hours ago, daveindc said:

What makes the Yankees' uniform iconic is the winning history they have while wearing it. That's the "Yankee legacy".

Comparing the uniforms, the Yankees at least benefit from that nice shade of navy. The White Sox all-black look justs often gets stale.

Ahh, i would say the interlocking NY is pretty good too and might have something to do with the legacy  ;)

3 hours ago, Surf said:

Ahh, i would say the interlocking NY is pretty good too and might have something to do with the legacy  ;)

I've always liked the Baseball Giants and the Mets interlocking NY logos more than the Yankees NY logo.

6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

While I appreciate the fact that the current logo and wordmark resemble the ones from the 1950s

If only that was the case. 

The current P cap logo is a bad imitation of the original.  

7978_philadelphia_phillies-cap-1950.jpg

It has the same basic shape, but none of the charm.  

ya6m9cyfm1h9uildz4yseecps.gif

I know they wanted it to match the wordmark, but that doesn't make the cap logo better. 

19 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I've always liked the Baseball Giants and the Mets interlocking NY logos more than the Yankees NY logo.

I love the old Giants logos for their asymmetry.  And I really like the original Mets cap logo.  In the 1960s, or even 80s, I might have agreed with you. 

casey-stengel-ny-mets.jpg

But when they changed it in the 1990s, they kind of ruined it.  It's too narrow now, much less pleasing. 

The current Mets logo?  I think the Yankees one is clearly better.  With only one point of contact between the two letters to the Mets' three, the Yankee monogram is much more legible at distance.

The Mets have a better color scheme, but the Yankees now have the better logo. 

Archived