MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

3 hours ago, Bouj said:

Plus the SUPER OBVIOUS tell that it's a woman's jersey: the buttons are reversed.  Women's clothing buttons right over left.

Lol that's right, I always forget this one since well, I'm not a woman. I wonder if there's a specific reason for that.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Lol that's right, I always forget this one since well, I'm not a woman. I wonder if there's a specific reason for that.

From what I've heard in the past, the reason was because in ye olden days a wife would dress her husband, readying him for the day out.  This way, the buttons would be a mirror image of her own, so that she would have no trouble buttoning them, using the same hands she uses to button her own buttons.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I find this year's all-star game caps to be the least offensive of any since they began this mid-summer classic cap foolishness.

I actually like the all-star games caps for the following teams:

The Oakland A's

The KC Royals

The Tampa Rays

The Milwaukee Brewers

The San Diego Padres.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

The All-Star caps are extremely stupid and shouldn't exist.

That being said, dangit if they don't look really sharp matched with the gold patch on the unis.  There are a few exceptions, notably the multi-tone teams like Houston, but they really do look good.

So, I thought the AL and NL would each be wearing a sock color.  Each side is wearing both?!  Except for the Red Sox who seem to have just said "Screw you, we're wearing red socks."

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am not a fan of this year's ASG caps. I really wish they were still host-team oriented. I don't particularly like the gold patch, nor was I expecting the socks to mismatch like they are. It all seems like quite a mess.

I was surprised by how much I loved all of all of the Home Run Derby gear, even the socks, but I'm kind of disappointed by today's game.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, Gothamite said:

The Walgreens W is okay on a cap, but it's a terrible jersey logo. Especially with the imbalanced numbers.  The best jersey logos are roughly symmetrical, and the combination of loopy swirls and italicized angle makes it unsuitable.   The off-center numbers only accentuate its many problems.

This would have been so much better:

NationalsPrototypeFront.jpg

Pair that with the loopy W cap on red, and you're good to go.

And just as an aside, the Nationals seem to have more than their share of rejected prototypes.  All of which are better than the ones actually chosen.

I agree that this jersey is worlds better than the current awful home set. This is a great look, though the wordmark could stand to be a slight bit bolder, IMO. However, it still uses the same awful number font. The font worked (but wasn't great) with the bevels, but it looks so terrible in two-color form. It's especially awful when the home jersey has a very thin logo on one side being completely overshadowed by the thick, almost square numbers on the opposite side.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

13 minutes ago, TheOldRoman said:

I agree that this jersey is worlds better than the current awful home set. This is a great look, though the wordmark could stand to be a slight bit bolder, IMO. However, it still uses the same awful number font. The font worked (but wasn't great) with the bevels, but it looks so terrible in two-color form. It's especially awful when the home jersey has a very thin logo on one side being completely overshadowed by the thick, almost square numbers on the opposite side.

That is a great look, but I think the current Nationals uniform beats their originals by leaps and bounds.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Just noticed another cool custom work.  The AL manager has a star with no number in it, since he's a fill-in for Francona.  Or is this a thing for all the coaches?  It seems a cool touch if it's just because he's the Gerald Ford of the All-Star Game.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, TheOldRoman said:

The font worked (but wasn't great) with the bevels, but it looks so terrible in two-color form.

It needs to be navy blue to work too. The gold bevels get lost on a red base. Varsity serif is such a classic football style that it really has to be done just right to work on a baseball jersey, and what the Nats are doing now isn't it.

I almost wonder whether a modified version of Agency would have worked with the beveled lettering better than varsity serif did. The letters are slim, so maybe the numbers should have been as well.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Just noticed another cool custom work.  The AL manager has a star with no number in it, since he's a fill-in for Francona.  Or is this a thing for all the coaches?  It seems a cool touch if it's just because he's the Gerald Ford of the All-Star Game.

I believe all coaches don't have a number (at least the coach next to Mills didn't have one.)

Last night when Brad Hand pitched it was the first time I have noticed that in this version of the super dull Padres uniforms the D in PADRES overlaps the placket piping so instead of having the piping running through the middle of the D hole (hehe) they have a break in the piping.

643573290.thumb.jpg.a3d429d4fecf4cb623b27aa2942b5aa4.jpg

That’s poor design. If you have an issue with the way one of your letters appears when it overlaps the piping then then solution is A. Don’t use piping with that wordmark or B. Don’t use that particular wordmark on a jersey with placket piping. The solution is not cut the piping so your letter appears normal. Are there any other teams with placket piping who do this? 

Just another reason to hate this thoughtless, lifeless major league uniform.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

I realize the ASG caps only work with single colored (or almost single colored) logos like Yankees Dodgers rays Phillies etc. The multi colored logos like Marlins astros Orioles it just looks like u sucked the colors out of the cap and something feels missing.

I'd still rather have regular caps with a patch and keep the special caps for the derby. 

Then again it's hard to argue with this stuff from a business perspective because I was there last night and no one can deny how many people bought the ASG and derby caps. It's almost human nature to buy a piece of merchandise or more as a souvenir when you do a big event like the ASG and the hr derby. As much as I don't like the idea of ASG caps I know this was probably the only ASG I'll see in person in my home town for like 25 to 30 years so I just really felt like buying a unique piece of merchandise and so I bought me a Marlins ASG cap. This stuff isn't going away folks, it makes too much sense to do it this way. 

27 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Did anyone see a player wearing the blue or orange caps? The black derby caps got a lot of wear, but I have yet to see the blue and orange caps in action. 

I didn't even see any fans wearing them. I visited the team store and they didn't have much in those colors. 

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Last night when Brad Hand pitched it was the first time I have noticed that in this version of the super dull Padres uniforms the D in PADRES overlaps the placket piping so instead of having the piping running through the middle of the D hole (hehe) they have a break in the piping.

643573290.thumb.jpg.a3d429d4fecf4cb623b27aa2942b5aa4.jpg

That’s poor design. If you have an issue with the way one of your letters appears when it overlaps the piping then then solution is A. Don’t use piping with that wordmark or B. Don’t use that particular wordmark on a jersey with placket piping. The solution is not cut the piping so your letter appears normal. Are there any other teams with placket piping who do this? 

Just another reason to hate this thoughtless, lifeless major league uniform.  

Meh, I think you are getting worked up over nothing.   I think it looks fine and the fact that you JUST noticed this is pretty telling its not a poor design.

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Meh, I think you are getting worked up over nothing.   I think it looks fine and the fact that you JUST noticed this is pretty telling its not a poor design.

Well, there are bigger things to get worked up about...but small details can be poor design.  We had a thread about "small details that you hate."  There was a great example where the Pacers side panel stripes did not match.  Without this board, I'd never have noticed.  But it was still stupid and a poor design.

In this case...I never noticed the missing piping, either.  I don't catch a lot of Padres games these days.  But I'd still call that poor design.  

The degree to which this should bother us is in the eye of the beholder.  If it does not bug you that's fine...but I think "things you can't unsee" after not seeing them for a while certainly can be examples of bad design.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived