MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

9 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Meh, I think you are getting worked up over nothing.  

Hi, welcome to the message board where we discuss sports uniforms to the smallest details. 

9 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I think it looks fine and the fact that you JUST noticed this is pretty telling its not a poor design.

This uniform's been around for a half season and I've watched maybe 1 inning of one Padres home game this season so all things told I picked up on it relatively quickly. But aside from that the time it takes to discover something has nothing to do with whether it is good or poor design. Now that I've noticed it I will never not see that glaring hole. 

Gothamite pointed out recently that the bottom of the M in the Mets wordmark doesn't match the angle of the rest of the wordmark. I'd never noticed that before in years of watching that uniform, but I would most certainly call that poor design. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Look at the alternatives.  Either the D has piping running through it which would look awful OR they lose the piping and the jersey is even more bland.  

They choose the right option. 

I'm looking at the alternatives. I'm looking at all the alternatives. It may be the right option, but it's in a decision they forced themselves to make because of previous bad choices when building out the whole uniform. That is poor design. 

Those aren't the only alternatives. They could start by not wearing this at all. They could wear the nice uniform they wore last year and inexplicably dumped after one season. They could use placket piping with a chest logo, like they've done in recent years. They could incorporate more color or use an outline so it stand off from the piping. They could use the wavy wordmark they were using so the spacing is different. etc etc. There's thousands of better options than the one they chose and they only had to make that choice because they made a bunch of bad ones before because of poor design decisions. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The blue and orange derby caps were definitely being worn by fans but it seems like they were basically only options for fans as the players only wore the black caps. Also I noticed at all the merchandise stands in Miami only the Marlins blue and orange derby caps were being sold but the other teams only had the black option available. I say this because online every team has the blue and orange available as well. 

Also something I noticed watching the game live last night and as a uniform junkie I thought this was cool. Seeing all those home white jerseys together was the first time I'd seen any of them in person with the exception of my home team Marlins. Unless you literally do the every ballpark tour across the majors it's pretty rare to see them all and I basically checked 29 home jerseys off my list in one night. I've been attending MLB games for about 25 years and have seen every single team in person but have always seen them in their road uniforms. It was very cool when it hit me what I was looking at last night. Of course the collection of road gray uniforms looked great too but seeing the home whites all together was beautiful. 

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Also something I noticed watching the game live last night and as a uniform junkie I thought this was cool. Seeing all those home white jerseys together was the first time I'd seen any of them in person with the exception of my home team Marlins. Unless you literally do the every ballpark tour across the majors it's pretty rare to see them all and I basically checked 29 home jerseys off my list in one night. I've been attending MLB games for about 25 years and have seen every single team in person but have always seen them in their road uniforms. It was very cool when it hit me what I was looking at last night. Of course the collection of road gray uniforms looked great too but seeing the home whites all together was beautiful. 

My favorite part of the all-star game is the player introductions just because you see so many uniforms at once. Probably somewhat explains why I and many of us are here.

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

My favorite part of the all-star game is the player introductions just because you see so many uniforms at once. Probably somewhat explains why I and many of us are here.

Literally the number one reason why I watched as a kid and still watch this game as an adult. It's why I hate the ASG hats as much as I do  

A guy on twitter tweeted out that he thinks it's stupid that MLB wears their regular jerseys for the actual game and that they should all wear the same uniform. 

I don't think I've ever seen someone be so publicly wrong on an issue.

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I'm not sure that is even possible.  Half the league wore gray uniforms.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

39 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Literally the number one reason why I watched as a kid and still watch this game as an adult. It's why I hate the ASG hats as much as I do  

A guy on twitter tweeted out that he thinks it's stupid that MLB wears their regular jerseys for the actual game and that they should all wear the same uniform. 

I don't think I've ever seen someone be so publicly wrong on an issue.

I totally forgot about the game until about 10 after; they were announcing the Hall-of-Famers that were going to throw the first pitch.  I was so pissed at myself for missing the intros.  I love the intros. And more than one Twin this year!

I'd hate to see them go to the same uniform.  Seeing all the different uniforms is what makes it great.  And they are catering to a lot of fans (like me) that don't know a lot of players in one or both leagues by sight.  I could be stuck in line at bank for an hour behind Brad Hand and not know it.  The team uniforms are valuable.   I'd like the NHL to do this too.  And the NBA...The NBA did it for a year or two maybe 10-15 years ago and it was great.  It's probably the league that needs it the least, since there are fewer players and they tend to be very recognizable.  

I think I'd even go for it in the NFL, but the helmet factor alleviates that.  There's probably value to everyone wearing the same color uniform in that game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I didn't even know that Padres uniform existed. I thought they still had the wavy script on the home uniforms. Wow, that's terrible, completely terrible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Okay, I thought they went back to the wavy script after a year of the blue and yellow SD at home, but had that arched script for the camouflage and the brown jerseys, then went back to the bowtie on the road after years of a normal arched San Diego. Somehow this one got by me. It's not on the mothership, either. I guess Chris gave up on trying to chronicle the stupid Padres.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Last night when Brad Hand pitched it was the first time I have noticed that in this version of the super dull Padres uniforms the D in PADRES overlaps the placket piping so instead of having the piping running through the middle of the D hole (hehe) they have a break in the piping.

643573290.thumb.jpg.a3d429d4fecf4cb623b27aa2942b5aa4.jpg

That’s poor design. If you have an issue with the way one of your letters appears when it overlaps the piping then then solution is A. Don’t use piping with that wordmark or B. Don’t use that particular wordmark on a jersey with placket piping. The solution is not cut the piping so your letter appears normal. Are there any other teams with placket piping who do this? 

Just another reason to hate this thoughtless, lifeless major league uniform.  

This uni would've looked a lot better with pinstripes, at least, imo.

7800737_G.jpg

Monarchs-2.png

Monarchs-7-590x500.png

Monarchs-1.png

Without the piping, of course. But then again, why not with it? Either would be more interesting than what they have now.

13 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Last night when Brad Hand pitched it was the first time I have noticed that in this version of the super dull Padres uniforms the D in PADRES overlaps the placket piping so instead of having the piping running through the middle of the D hole (hehe) they have a break in the piping.

643573290.thumb.jpg.a3d429d4fecf4cb623b27aa2942b5aa4.jpg

That’s poor design. If you have an issue with the way one of your letters appears when it overlaps the piping then then solution is A. Don’t use piping with that wordmark or B. Don’t use that particular wordmark on a jersey with placket piping. The solution is not cut the piping so your letter appears normal. Are there any other teams with placket piping who do this? 

Just another reason to hate this thoughtless, lifeless major league uniform.  

I actually think the best solution would be to have that that slight white outline seen on the D and R help break up the letters from the piping, but omitting a section of the piping certainly isn't the answer..

22 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I record the game, forward to the player intros, watch that, and then forward to parts where Reds players are shown in uniform.  It's the only remaining interest I have in the game.  They day they go to common uniforms for all players will be the last time I make a point to watch any part of the broadcast.

16 hours ago, daveindc said:

This uni would've looked a lot better with pinstripes, at least, imo.

7800737_G.jpg

Monarchs-2.png

Monarchs-7-590x500.png

Monarchs-1.png

Without the piping, of course. But then again, why not with it? Either would be more interesting than what they have now.

The Padres wouldn't even have to go that far away:

IMG_2555.thumb.JPG.8638cefd41b98b41f9287a19ca639f12.JPG

25 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Padres wouldn't even have to go that far away:

IMG_2555.thumb.JPG.8638cefd41b98b41f9287a19ca639f12.JPG

Would be an upgrade but still so boring. I hope one day the Padres with have a decent uniform, hell last years with the yellow trim was a step in the right direction. 

22 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

You've missed some crazy stuff the last two years in San Diego. 

Indeed. The Pads traded up big time on their home 2016 unis... then threw it all away for 2017 for no apparent reason.

Archived