MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

40 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

How so?   And what part?  Don't make us listen to an hour-long podcast to figure out what you're talking about. 

I got about ten minutes in. I heard plenty of stupid buzzwords, cocaine jokes, and homophobic cracks, but I didn't hear anything terribly relevant to this particular conversation.  

bruh. . . its titled "the logo show" and is posted in the MLB thread

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

bruh. . . its titled "the logo show" and is posted in the MLB thread

Except you guys wasted so much time screwing off and talking about coffee branding before getting to baseball logos. Podcasts aren't sports radio (and that's what this reminded me of), you need to go into episodes with a discipline to discuss a specific topic. 

I really do so mean this as constructive criticism. 

48 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Except you guys wasted so much time screwing off and talking about coffee branding before getting to baseball logos. Podcasts aren't sports radio (and that's what this reminded me of), you need to go into episodes with a discipline to discuss a specific topic. 

I really do so mean this as constructive criticism. 

noted. but i wasn't on the show. :/

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

38 minutes ago, TVIXX said:

Sneak peek of upcoming throwback jersey for the Brewers?https://mobile.twitter.com/Brewers/status/885870271034384384

I'd love for them to do an early 70s home throwback.

4LbodX6Fg9RybUGT.jpg

Sweet.  I'd definitely buy one of those.  Let's just hope they get the caps right this time.   

As an aside, because Gorman Thomas is one of my absolute most favorite players ever (he used to stop by tailgates on his way into County Stadium!), it bothers me just a little bit that they keep giving him #20 in that jersey.  #20 is the number he's most associated with, but he only ever wore it on the pinstripes.  When the Brewers wore those snow-whites, Stormin' Gorman wore another number:

e555d6d3acb8431918e026a7ed9d38c8.jpg

Of course, the Brewers gave that number to one of their big-name signings, so Gorman had to adopt a different digit:

78+thomas+f.jpg

He went to the minors for the 1977 season, and when he came back in 1978 the Brewers were in pinstripes and Thomas was assigned the number he'd wear for the rest of his career.

maxresdefault.jpg

So I get why they keep putting him in #20, but it bothers my sensibilities just a little bit.

29 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I'd love for them to do an early 70s home throwback.

4LbodX6Fg9RybUGT.jpg

Sweet.  I'd definitely buy one of those.  Let's just hope they get the caps right this time.   

It seems that many teams always throw back to the same era every time.  With the Brewers, it going to be BiG.  For my Reds, it's always either 1990 or 1975.  How about giving the world another look at the 1968-71 beauties?  The Padres always bring out the loud, colorful models and I've never seen them in their much better 1969 set.  Astros?  You just know it's going to be the rainbows every time, while their best set of 1971 goes ignored.  I'm sure there are others.

2 minutes ago, Jungle Jim said:

It seems that many teams always throw back to the same era every time.  For my Reds, it's always either 1990 or 1975.  How about giving the world another look at the 1968-71 beauties?  The Padres always bring out the loud, colorful models and I've never seen them in their much better 1969 set.  Astros?  You just know it's going to be the rainbows every time, while their best set of 1971 goes ignored.  I'm sure there are others.

True.  That above is a period the Brewers don't visit often.  I understand the temptation to go 1982, but that's so close to their regular alternates I'd rather see them bring back the snow-whites.

3 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Agreed.  Adding it here seemed an odd choice unless they were discussing changes to baseball uniforms for 2017, but I couldn't listen long enough to find out if that was indeed the case.

Otherwise, it should probably have been given a thread of its own.

So I guess I'm pretty much hours away from knowing the exact 2017 answer to this but... in the past have teams who host the ASG kept their ASG sleeve and cap patches after the ASG has ended? I feel like it's a yes but I'm not sure and am curious to see it on the Marlins tonight. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So I guess I'm pretty much hours away from knowing the exact 2017 answer to this but... in the past have teams who host the ASG kept their ASG sleeve and cap patches after the ASG has ended? I feel like it's a yes but I'm not sure and am curious to see it on the Marlins tonight. 

I am pretty sure it will be there the rest of the season.

While on that, the 2018 logo should be out soon and with that would come some rather interesting ideas for the HR Derby caps, ASG hats and the BP jerseys.  Gotta think the logo will have a definite "capital" like look to it.  Maybe there could be a surprise and have the Washington Monument in there.  A friend of mine said that "every Washington type sports event lately has always had the Capital building.  They MUST use the White House this time."  I responded with a simple uhh....no.

All of that goes totally off topic BUT yes I do believe the 2017 ASG logo will remain, barring something else happening to the Marlins.

15 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

I am pretty sure it will be there the rest of the season.

While on that, the 2018 logo should be out soon and with that would come some rather interesting ideas for the HR Derby caps, ASG hats and the BP jerseys.  Gotta think the logo will have a definite "capital" like look to it.  Maybe there could be a surprise and have the Washington Monument in there.  A friend of mine said that "every Washington type sports event lately has always had the Capital building.  They MUST use the White House this time."  I responded with a simple uhh....no.

All of that goes totally off topic BUT yes I do believe the 2017 ASG logo will remain, barring something else happening to the Marlins.

The White House would be an odd choice to use for a sports event logo, no matter who occupied it, particularly because there's a front and a back to it.  The Capitol's dome and Washington Monument are easy to use in design.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

The White House would be an odd choice to use for a sports event logo, no matter who occupied it, particularly because there's a front and a back to it.  The Capitol's dome and Washington Monument are easy to use in design.  

The Capitol and Monument also have the benefit of distinctive silhouettes.  They can be rendered very simply and yet be instantly identifiable. 

320px-Washington_Caps_Alternate.svg.png    240px-Washington_Wizards_logo.svg.png  

winter-classic-caps-crest.jpg

The White House doesn't exactly lend itself to logo design in the same way.

22 minutes ago, TVIXX said:

Beautiful 

image.jpg

Better than the mockups on the MLB shop, which have the pinstripes off-centered.  And with the white front panel, they couldn't help but get the helmet logo right for a change. 

But ye gods, how I love the classic Brewers look. Shows how terribly bland the current mess is. 

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Holy. :censored:. 

I never noticed the silhouette of the Capital building in that Capitals logo. That's brilliant...

It almost looks like the top of the Washington monument above the Capitol building.. Not sure if it is, but this is my first time noticing it..

7 hours ago, WavePunter said:

It almost looks like the top of the Washington monument above the Capitol building.. Not sure if it is, but this is my first time noticing it..

It's not. It's a simplified/abstract version of the Statue of Freedom.

rear-view-of-lion-statue-and-dome-of-us-

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived