MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

On 7/15/2017 at 10:43 AM, coco1997 said:

The only thing I don't like about this is the front paneled cap used with a pinstriped uniform. This applies to all teams. I've always felt it kind of clashes. 

Yeah, I was actually happy when the Brewers moved to solid blue helmets back in the day. 

But today, I like them because the white background solves the transparent-webbing problem with the logo. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, TVIXX said:

Beautiful 

image.jpg

So many sports franchises had dropped their blue and yellow colors for a more unique combo, that this eventually become rare itself. The Warriors really brought it back and made it cool again. The Rams will eventually wear it and the fans are already begging for it. The Brewers needs to be the MLB team to own it.

Agreed.  For a while there, every major pro franchise that had worn blue and gold dropped it in favor of navy and something else.   The Brewers, Rams, Mariners, Sabres, Warriors, everybody.   I'm glad to see it make a comeback, but the Brewers need to step up and make it theirs again. 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, the admiral said:
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:16 PM, McCarthy said:

What the heck was wrong with these?

Pitch-Ep109_Sc33-RM_0980_hires2_1280x720

Yellow touching white, even-numbered piping, city name at home for a team that isn't the Yankees or Tigers

I don't have a problem with yellow touching white, but the rest of it applies. Also:

• Not brown and yellow;
  • Introduced yet another color scheme for a schizophrenic franchise;
  • Copied a DEEPLY UNPOPULAR color scheme from the local football team which symbolized the indifference that team's ownership had for the fans (and that team has since moved). This would be like if the Cleveland Cavaliers switched to purple and black.
  • No swinging Friar patch;
  • Cap logos on jerseys are largely lazy and awful. The Yankees and Tigers are grandfathered (even though both use different logos from the caps). White Sox, too. The cap is a small space that requires 1-2 letters to effectively use the space. The chest, however, is a much larger space that allows the team to expand its identity, especially including the team name. There's no excuse for introducing a reductionist home jersey 50 years after the franchise started and when the team doesn't have an awful name that looks bad spelled out (like Diamondbacks).
OldRomanSig2.jpg

On 7/16/2017 at 2:36 PM, TheOldRoman said:

I don't have a problem with yellow touching white

Neither do I.  In fact, my favorite uniform features it.

BrewersAaron.thumb.jpg.d882895812f4140cfb080f2f8be51b75.jpg

I think gold outlines against white are certainly better than cluttering it up with an extra blue outline.

marinersjerseys.jpg.8f7105ae9826aafdba6f13c90a20b3f1.jpg

I find that second Mariners jersey so hard to read because all the negative space in the letters is filled in with blue.  At any distance, it's just a blob.

marinersjersey_illegible.jpg.dae7c62bb2eef6300359f836df99bcf9.jpg

Where did we decide yellow can't touch white? Two of my favorite baseball uniforms have yellow touching white. 

11045035.jpg

andrew-mccutchen_1ew44efidv4k31filxx9k62

Yeah that Padres uniform was not my ideal Padres uniform either, but it was better than nothing, was moderately attractive, was distinctive from the rest of the league, and actually took a step in the direction of having an identity. What they wear now is completely absent of a recognizable feature and I don't get it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yellow on white doesn't seem to be a problem for number outlines in other sports, either.  In hockey, at least four teams have yellow outlines on the white jerseys.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Only problem with yellow on white is yellow bleeds into the white a lot of the time, and gets lost plenty of times. It's a bigger problem when it's just yellow by itself but when it's bordering against a color with great contrast it's not a problem.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Only problem with yellow on white is yellow bleeds into the white a lot of the time, and gets lost plenty of times. It's a bigger problem when it's just yellow by itself but when it's bordering against a color with great contrast it's not a problem.

Yes it does get lost in the white a little bit, but it's visible enough to make a statement. The way yellow works with white and the color it's bordering is part of the design choice to use yellow in that way, but it's in no way a bad decision to do so. 

Take the Chiefs vs. the 49ers - the Chiefs numbers have a yellow outline. They want the yellow to play off the red. Red numbers on white with no outline would be more legible, but you would lose some of the character in the uniform and it's one fewer place to display one of the two team colors. The 49ers use plain red numbers on a white background, which is also fine, but they're going for a different statement with their uniform. I don't think one is more right than the other. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, dont care said:

How often does that come up in professional sports design, though?  

7 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Yes it does get lost in the white a little bit, but it's visible enough to make a statement. The way yellow works with white and the color it's bordering is part of the design choice to use yellow in that way, but it's in no way a bad decision to do so. 

Take the Chiefs vs. the 49ers - the Chiefs numbers have a yellow outline. They want the yellow to play off the red. Red numbers on white with no outline would be more legible, but you would lose some of the character in the uniform and it's one fewer place to display one of the two team colors. The 49ers use plain red numbers on a white background, which is also fine, but they're going for a different statement with their uniform. I don't think one is more right than the other. 

I don't disagree I was just stating one of the problems with it. It certainly isn't something that can't be done, and look good as well.

I don't have a problem with yellow touching white, but the rest of it applies. Also:

• Not brown and yellow;

Fair. Brown and yellow should be their color scheme in a just world, but I thought this one was a nice consolation. Navy and yellow is better to me than navy and white. If I'm not getting brown and yellow I'll take navy and yellow over navy and "sand" and absolutely over navy and white. 

• Introduced yet another color scheme for a schizophrenic franchise;

I guess technically it's another color scheme, but it doesn't really feel like it.  Navy blue and yellow isn't a huge leap for them because they were wearing navy blue and gold and it still felt like the same franchise. It's not like they decided to wear red and purple or something equally out of nowhere. They've been wearing navy since 1991 and yellow is one of the colors people want them to readopt so again I felt like it was halfway in the right direction. 

• Copied a DEEPLY UNPOPULAR color scheme from the local football team which symbolized the indifference that team's ownership had for the fans (and that team has since moved). This would be like if the Cleveland Cavaliers switched to purple and black.

The Chargers were still in San Diego when the Padres wore those colors so I liked it for the civic solidarity reasons. I know of one specific Chargers fan who hates that color scheme, but is that really the case with all of them? I think the issue San Diegans had with the Chargers in those colors had more to do with the fact that they weren't wearing powder blue and less to do with the actual color of navy blue. I think Padres fans would've adopted it if they were given the chance to. 

• No swinging Friar patch;

Easy fix and it might have happened if they'd been around in a year they didn't have the ASG patch. 

• Cap logos on jerseys are largely lazy and awful. The Yankees and Tigers are grandfathered (even though both use different logos from the caps). White Sox, too. The cap is a small space that requires 1-2 letters to effectively use the space. The chest, however, is a much larger space that allows the team to expand its identity, especially including the team name. There's no excuse for introducing a reductionist home jersey 50 years after the franchise started and when the team doesn't have an awful name that looks bad spelled out (like Diamondbacks).

Yeah I agree with all of this. It's currently the issue I have with the Nationals home unis, but at the same time, the Padres have their own history of using the chest logo and maybe if they'd grown into those unis and color scheme longer than one year they could've thrown a wordmark on the front of them.

What I'm saying is that uniform had promise and a direction and were making an attempt, all at the very least and they dropped it for the most thoughtless, lifeless unis in the bigs. Their current uniforms would be too boring for the generic baseball team in an Imodium ad. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I'm really not sure where that "rule" came from.  Was somebody trying to apply the heraldic rule of tincture?  

I think the "rule" applies more to the opposite situation.. White numbers with yellow outline causes more visual noise and blurs things much more than colored numbers with yellow outline on white.. In the chiefs' case, the outline doesn't affect the legibility of the red numbers on white jersey at all imo, but creates minor issues on the red jersey..

But I'm in the group that considers this "rule" to be silly, and I see no issues with yellow outlines whatsoever

9 hours ago, MmmHuha420 said:

They had that logo well into the 1980's.  Now it's on their current batting practice hats

pirateshat.jpg

FWIW I was never a fan of the clean-shaven, somewhat young Sean Connery-esque Pirate

32 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

They had that logo well into the 1980's.  Now it's on their current batting practice hats

pirateshat.jpg

FWIW I was never a fan of the clean-shaven, somewhat young Sean Connery-esque Pirate

I meant to say mid-80s, was late and was typing that on my iPad.

So with that BP hat, they never actually used that on the field to my knowledge, thought it would have gotten some use a few years back with the 71 Sunday jerseys.

An insider (in the retail business, I think) over at New Era Cap talk says there will be a league-wide event (TBTC?) that will be "very bright".  Is there anyone here who knows more?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived