MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, OnWis97 said:

If I were to rank the teams for how they responded to this, I'd probably rank the Angels number 1 for this reason.  

But for an out-of-the-box project, they stayed within the box.  Light blue hat would work (too Dodgers-y maybe), or the throwback LA logo would have been cool.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Like a nitwit I did not realize I could enlarge the picture from the tweet.  Now looking at the Nationals hat, The star seems too "Texas," with the beveling.  They already use a logo from a franchise that currently plays in Texas.  I may have re-thought the look of that star.  Maybe a more basic star in the background. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I fail to understand and it still hasn't been adequately explained what every team wearing a bright color hat has to do with Little League baseball. Also, why's it gotta be a league wide thing when only two teams are participating? 

Can't wait until a perfect game happens in one of these goofy one off hats and we have to look at it forever. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

But for an out-of-the-box project, they stayed within the box.  Light blue hat would work (too Dodgers-y maybe), or the throwback LA logo would have been cool.

Well, that's fine by me.  

I suppose their options are limited.  Light blue was the other option, I guess. And your point about the Dodgers may be why they did not mess with that.

I guess, other options include using the old "wing" logo from that awful era.  Or the original "LA" logo. 

Actually, here's what they should have done: a bright yellow halo on that cap.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I fail to understand and it still hasn't been adequately explained what every team wearing a bright color hat has to do with Little League baseball. Also, why's it gotta be a league wide thing when only two teams are participating? 

Can't wait until a perfect game happens in one of these goofy one off hats and we have to look at it forever. 

Some things have happened in goofy uniforms, but something truly historic happening would be awful.  Thank goodness the Twins don't have anyone who could throw a perfect game.

I love the traditional history of MLB uniforms.  But with 162 games, I acknowledge that they can have the freedom to do a couple of things.  But they're losing control.  A full weekend for Memorial Day and the Fourth?  (Were fathers and mothers day full weekend, too).  And now Little League Day?  Well, if the hats sell...

POTD (Shared)

12 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Some things have happened in goofy uniforms, but something truly historic happening would be awful.  Thank goodness the Twins don't have anyone who could throw a perfect game.

I love the traditional history of MLB uniforms.  But with 162 games, I acknowledge that they can have the freedom to do a couple of things.  But they're losing control.  A full weekend for Memorial Day and the Fourth?  (Were fathers and mothers day full weekend, too).  And now Little League Day?  Well, if the hats sell...

I never minded when MLB had the special event equipment/uniforms for the actual day of, because even if someone does something special such as throw a perfect game, the uniform would immediately let you know, "Hey that's cool, he did that on Father's Day" or something of the sort.

But when an entire weekend is dedicated to it, it brings up the odd possibility of someone throwing a perfect game completely dressed in pink, on a day that's not even Mother's Day. That's the worst part of it, for me at least.

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

How unlike them.

I really don't want very many of these hats on the field.

• Make this your primary:
    • Miami
  • Suitable for the field:
    • Cleveland (only because they pretty much already have it; I don't like it in general)
    • Angels 
  • Serviceable BP Cap:
    • Texas
    • Toronto
    • Washington
    • Philadelphia
    • Colorado
    • KC
    • Boston
    • NY Mets
    • Cubs, I guess (I wish it was beneath them, but it's not)
  • Attractive enough, but why mess with the shade of blue (OK...I guess I know why now, but this keeps them belonging on the field)
    • Yankees  (probably did as little as they could)
    • Houston (BP only)
  • Throwback-BP worthy
    • Arizona
  • Fashion cap at best
    • St. Louis
    • Atlanta
    • Boston (blue hats only on the field, in my opinion)
    • LA Dodgers
    • Brewers
    • Giants
    • Padres
    • Mariners
    • White Sox
    • Tampa Bay
  • "Kids Korner" fashion cap at best
    • Cincinnati
    • A's
    • Detroit
    • Minnesota (though this could have i's own "throw it in a dumpster" group)
    • Pittsburgh

You listed Boston twice, and no Baltimore..

13 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

It's the only thing I don't like about an otherwise great set.  It's bad enough to have it on the sleeve when it's also on the hat and the wordmark.  But two different uses of it on both sleeves?  It's terrible.  I'm waiting for them to start using it on any "A" that shows up in a player's name. Maybe they can have a captain's "C" and then two alternates that get an extra "A" wherever they can find the room.

I like the use of it in the wordmark, so I'd say either use the roundel on the left sleeve or leave it blank.  Leave the right sleeve blank either way.

Yes, it's overdone.  The Angels' uniform is so close to perfect, but the decision to clutter up the sleeves with duplicate and unnecessary logos is unfortunate.  They don't need the roundel, they don't need the cap logo repeated on the sleeve.

21 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

You listed Boston twice, and no Baltimore..

I'll go fix the original.

POTD (Shared)

16 hours ago, Gothamite said:

There used to be one.  There really did.  Or so I thought. Turns out it was really just George Steinbrenner.  

For all I hate how they beatify him now, his influence is sorely missed. 

It sounds terrible, but it's an honest truth.  The best part was the end.  He'd become too ill to deal with day-to-day and interfere, selling out the youth for old broken down stars, but he was still around so the team would do things "to respect the boss's wishes".  Kinda the best of both worlds.

11 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

You act like this is the worst possible thing ever when it could be worse, so so much worse...

636209464323024301-CELTICS-094.jpg

Be glad you only get weird one off uniforms.

Woof.  The Celtics?  I mean, the Sixers and Pelicans is one thing, but...

At least it's the best way you could do it.  It's a simple logo that's done in the team's colors.

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That's a red herring, though. 

We can be unhappy about the things that are really bad even if there are worse things elsewhere. 

No.  The world is a garbage fire, there's hate everywhere, and there are starving kids in Africa.  We have to finish our meals and stop all this silly sports logos talk.  Shut it all down, and let's go focus on what's important.  Save the whales.

Also, Communism is just a red herring.

6 hours ago, dsaline97 said:

Well, these suck about as much as I thought they would. Maybe the Rockies will wear their actual purple hats, I'd be okay with that. 

Now looking closer, egad.  They not only made the caps these colors, but made those colors (and black/white) the only available pallet.  So we're not getting a D'Backs throwback, per se, because the snake head is the color of the blue caps.  I'm not sure how accurate these are, but they really miss the mark.

Earlier there was discussion about white on yellow/yellow on white.  I think the Padres/A's work so well because they're putting gold on white as opposed to yellow.  Athletic gold is a darker tone, so it stands out well enough, as opposed to a lighter, more pastel yellow.

The shade in these caps, though, are just straight up yellow.  Looking at the Brewers' cap, I don't know how good that's gonna come out looking.  The A's cap looks really weird, but I think that's just an error in the drawing of it.  It's one of the things that makes me... unsure that this is anywhere near accurate.

Do we have images of the LLWS uniforms for this year?

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Earlier there was discussion about white on yellow/yellow on white.  I think the Padres/A's work so well because they're putting gold on white as opposed to yellow.  Athletic gold is a darker tone, so it stands out well enough, as opposed to a lighter, more pastel yellow.

The shade in these caps, though, are just straight up yellow.  Looking at the Brewers' cap, I don't know how good that's gonna come out looking.

Indeed.  That's precisely the difference between gold and yellow.

IMG_4134.JPG.72bac8bfb6f499a6fb502220a0419e1c.JPG

Anybody who wants to say the Packers or A's or Steelers use yellow, no.  This is yellow. 

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Also, Communism is just a red herring.

giphy.gif

According to New Era Cap Talk user "Hat Guru" (who I think is might be on this board, or at I least hope is part of CCSLC), the D-Backs, Twins, Giants, Pirates, Rays, and Nats will have different hats than shown in the graphic.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I find it odd that most teams that used logos with black still retain the black, yet Detroit went for an orange and blue tiger. I mean, this whole thing is odd, but that stuck out to me.

Though I've gotta be honest, I'm (obviously) a sucker for the Rays using the old stingray logo. I'll wait until I see one in person, but I'm not immediately turned off by the cap as a fashion cap. I wish it weren't being worn on field, but if it's the same shade of yellow as the previously-shown Pirate cap, I might consider picking one up.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

6 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I love the D-backs in purple and green, but if they like using those colors so much why not just switch to them full time???

They're becoming Padres Lite, when it comes to not knowing which identity/colors to stick with.

I disagree with this. The DBacks have an identity and I think it's pretty clear even if it is very busy. They have a black and dark red primary set, a teal accented alternate set, and one consistent "home Thursday only" throwback uniform. I don't love their identity but I think they have it pretty set, clear and defined. The Padres should probably take tips from them on how to juggle multiple elements into one identity. 

(Edit: Damnit I just defended the DBacks. There goes my weekend.) 

Archived