MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Twins have a perfect starting point for a new uniform right here:

Minnesota+Twins+v+Cleveland+Indians+DSI6

A "Twins" script in this font on pinstripes (with a similar color balance) would be gorgeous. I could do without the contrasting numbers and bill, but everything else is a fantastic bedrock for a good uniform.

The Twins' current look is a good start.  It brings the Homerdome look into modern day while honoring the past.  The alternate gold cap with primary home is stupid, though.  Wear the regular TC cap.  Add pinstripes.  That's all you need.

On 7/21/2017 at 4:41 PM, Gothamite said:

Indeed.  That's precisely the difference between gold and yellow.

IMG_4134.JPG.72bac8bfb6f499a6fb502220a0419e1c.JPG

Anybody who wants to say the Packers or A's or Steelers use yellow, no.  This is yellow. 

Side note, am I the only one who occasionally falls into ranting about Wiz Khalifa's debut single getting his city's colors wrong?

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 7/21/2017 at 9:46 AM, dsaline97 said:

Well, these suck about as much as I thought they would. Maybe the Rockies will wear their actual purple hats, I'd be okay with that. 

Oh my God, I can't even make out the A's logo. 

"Color contrasting, what's that? Crank up the contrast to 100, stat!"
-uniform designers (probably)

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Unpopular opinion: One of the things I for sure like about the current Twins set is that it doesn't have pinstripes. Those sets certainly had their time, but I don't think pinstripes are something that really fits the Twins brand going forward. I'd rather them go with something similar to the dual-striping of the early 80's sets, albeit somewhat thinner.

IMG_4251.thumb.JPG.83956425f33b773cf8f569a637d79b5f.JPG

They kind of attempted to do this with the new home, but the dark shade of gold really muddles things up quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

^ I hate that script; it screams throwback.

I agree that it does feel very throwback. I don't really need to see that wordmark return, nor do I any longer think the set should be primarily red, I just like the overall aesthetic of not having pinstripes.

5 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Unpopular opinion: One of the things I for sure like about the current Twins set is that it doesn't have pinstripes. Those sets certainly had their time, but I don't think pinstripes are something that really fits the Twins brand going forward. I'd rather them go with something similar to the dual-striping of the early 80's sets, albeit at least a little thinner.

IMG_4251.thumb.JPG.83956425f33b773cf8f569a637d79b5f.JPG

They kind of attempted to do this with the new home, but the dark shade of gold really muddles things up quite a bit.

IMO, this is about as perfect a look as the Twins have had.

Throw the new Twins script on that and we have a winner. 

The funny thing is (unpopular opinion!) I don't mind the Twins using gold to break up the monotony of red/blue teams in the MLB, but this just looks so clean.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

7 hours ago, insert name said:

They didn't go all out in the throwbacks. LAME! 

They can kind of get away with it because the wordmark is the same, and matches the cap logo. While I would have liked to see the entire 1987 set, I am happy enough to see that beautiful hat.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Twins have a perfect starting point for a new uniform right here:

Minnesota+Twins+v+Cleveland+Indians+DSI6

A "Twins" script in this font on pinstripes (with a similar color balance) would be gorgeous. I could do without the contrasting numbers and bill, but everything else is a fantastic bedrock for a good uniform.

I would say just the opposite. The only thing this uniform has going for it is the contrasting number, a feature which looked fantastic also on the mid-90s Orioles and the original Marlins.

But the home uniform definitely does not need a cursive wordmark. And that road script is awkward and ungainly; the word "Minnesota" is just too damn long to be spelt out in cursive. What's more, the disembodied tail makes no sense at all. (The underline on the home wordmark is OK because the lettering is not cursive; here it looks like someone erased part of it.)

For me the bottom line is that the Twins got it completely right in 1987, and every change since then (including adding the player name to the back of the home uniform) has been a downgrade. Nothing could have improved the 1987 uniform, short possibly of inverting the colour of the front number.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

24 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

The funny thing is (unpopular opinion!) I don't mind the Twins using gold to break up the monotony of red/blue teams in the MLB, but this just looks so clean.

I don't mind it either! I like that they at least tried to do something unique, and I loved its use during the 2014 ASG. I just think the shade they eventually chose is way too dark, it almost looks orange sometimes when next to the red. I wish they went with something closer to the 2014 shade, or even an off-white, so things didn't muddle as much. The wordmark looks much cleaner when the shadow isn't as noticeable.

59751b34098d3_twinscomparison.thumb.png.9a7ed04be15024e2035ecececb06ebbd.png

6 hours ago, Ark said:

The Twins current identity is boring and generic.

This is great

kirby-puckett.jpg

One could argue the boredom and genericness of this uniform... same number font as so many other teams, pinstripes on a white jersey, oversized wordmark... 

I myself enjoy this uniform but I don't hate the current Twins set and I'm just providing a counter point against the 87 twins set because dare I say it's overrated. 

Edit: Looks like Gothamite beat me to this point. 

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

For me the bottom line is that the Twins got it completely right in 1987, and every change since then (including adding the player name to the back of the home uniform) has been a downgrade. Nothing could have improved the 1987 uniform, short possibly of inverting the colour of the front number.

Do you like the 1987 wordmark better than the 2010 update?  It was subtle but I think it was an upgrade for eliminating the clunky "s" alone.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, dont care said:

How does having bright colors have baseball symbolism? You know what has baseball symbolism? A baseball game being played in regular uniforms.

No, symbolic in that these players were once little kids who dreamed of the Big Leagues.

Little League World Series caps? Baseball alternates have jumped the shark. 

I used to be pro-alternate because white vs grey for a full season gets a bit dull. If this is the logical conclusion to that line of thought though? I'll take white vs grey for 162x30 each and every season.

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:
7 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Do you like the 1987 wordmark better than the 2010 update?  It was subtle but I think it was an upgrade for eliminating the clunky "s" alone.

Ah, good point.  The newer S does harmonise a little better with the entire wordmark.

Old vs. new:

20170724_010151.jpg.afe167e12e1316c2d3d1c87190fae9fe.jpg  20170724_005925.jpg.e9a8c302b2476ebb2c0fad5435c3ab99.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 hours ago, zigbazah said:

No, symbolic in that these players were once little kids who dreamed of the Big Leagues.

Those players were also once horny teenagers perpetually lusting after an endless series of members of whatever sex they find attractive.  Shall we commemorate that next?

20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Those players were also once horny teenagers perpetually lusting after an endless series of members of whatever sex they find attractive.  Shall we commemorate that next?

They already are commemorating that. It's coming up soon, its called The Players Weekend I believe.

Archived