MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bradbury said:

Version for dark backgrounds (and sans sponsor logo) courtesy of the designers:

Haven't seen an embroidery version yet.

Pretty cool how they made the league logos and players look like the fresco inside the Capitol.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I like it as a whole, but the Capitol building looks cheap. It literally looks like someone took a stock photo and popped it into Photoshop and selected one of the filters. It doesn't look like an actual designed graphic.

One small thing that's bugging me about it are the small splotches of darker gray/green towards the bottom of the Capitol building. They don't appear to be serving any purpose, they could have easily been the lighter gray.

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The National League is hosting again?! Lets hope they don't make them wear away jerseys like 2016...

But seriously, that logo is nice!

99% sure this will be the case again, NL as the away team. Unless... when the Padres hosted and the NL were the away team the game counted and now that it doesn't count the alternating of home teams doesn't matter so maybe next year they just stick to the ballpark being the decider of home team as opposed to alternating for fairness. 

Also, the logo is nice but I did notice the font looking like the Angels so that is odd. And I'm not sure I like the long silver horizontal line above the words. If there's no line below it the above line stands out too much to me. It seems unnecessary. I would like to see the logo without that line. 

31 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

One small thing that's bugging me about it are the small splotches of darker gray/green towards the bottom of the Capitol building. They don't appear to be serving any purpose, they could have easily been the lighter gray.

They are awkward, but they are supposed to be windows that are darker than natural shadows.

capitol.jpg

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Also, the logo is nice but I did notice the font looking like the Angels so that is odd. And I'm not sure I like the long silver horizontal line above the words. If there's no line below it the above line stands out too much to me. It seems unnecessary. I would like to see the logo without that line. 

The problem is the line is there to resolve the bottom of the capital dome.  It would be awkward to have it full stop, or hard to render in different materials as it fades.  It would be better with a line below as well, though, one that's broken up by the ribbon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Bradbury said:

An example of the logo embroidered:

I suppose it looks better than I thought it would, but that dome is still pretty rough with that detail.

Wow.  That looks... a thousand times better with the flat navy background.

There's so many teams with this color scheme because it looks this good.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was at the Brewers/Nationals game to witness the unveiling. They already had the All-Star gear being sold in the team stores immediately after. What I like about the logo is that it just shows why navy and red is used so much in baseball... because it works wonderfully. I personally like it, but I will admit that the long silver line below the top-half of the roundel is a bit distracting. The over-detailing on the Capitol building wasn't needed, but a little realism isn't going to destroy the whole logo. I may actually get some merchandise later on.

15 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:
20 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The National League is hosting again?! Lets hope they don't make them wear away jerseys like 2016...

But seriously, that logo is nice!

99% sure this will be the case again, NL as the away team. Unless... when the Padres hosted and the NL were the away team the game counted and now that it doesn't count the alternating of home teams doesn't matter so maybe next year they just stick to the ballpark being the decider of home team as opposed to alternating for fairness. 

Right.  There's no reason that they can't just have two consecutive National League home games now, and two consecutive American League home games some time in the future.  

Of course, they could have done that even during the time when the All-Star Game determined the World Series home-field advantage.  Having an American League home game in a National League park was absurd.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right.  There's no reason that they can't just have two consecutive National League home games now, and two consecutive American League home games some time in the future.  

Of course, they could have done that even during the time when the All-Star Game determined the World Series home-field advantage.  Having an American League home game in a National League park was absurd.

I think it also had something to with an NL park getting 5 out of 6 ASGs with 2013, 2015-2018 as to why the AL was the "home" club last year.  Made no sense as to why that happened.

I am in the minority that feels it SHOULD rotate between AL and NL parks starting with Cleveland in 2019.  Give 2020 to say Atlanta, Philadelphia, Chicago or hell even the Dodgers.  Give 2021 to Boston and then go from there.  Should not be that hard to do. 

15 hours ago, Bradbury said:

An example of the logo embroidered:

I suppose it looks better than I thought it would, but that dome is still pretty rough with that detail.

Also looks like I may have to pick up a couple of things when I go see a game next week

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Padres held a fan symposium (or something) and mentioned that if they were going to make a change, it'd be for the 50th anniversary in 2019.

Soooooooo yeah.

"We'll do something special for 2019, but back to navy and white for 2020".  :P

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, tohasbo said:

I think it also had something to with an NL park getting 5 out of 6 ASGs with 2013, 2015-2018 as to why the AL was the "home" club last year.  Made no sense as to why that happened.

I am in the minority that feels it SHOULD rotate between AL and NL parks starting with Cleveland in 2019.  Give 2020 to say Atlanta, Philadelphia, Chicago or hell even the Dodgers.  Give 2021 to Boston and then go from there.  Should not be that hard to do. 

There was a good reason why the NL hosted consecutive games.  There were a good amount of NL ballparks that hadn't hosted the ASG so they caught up.  I would think in the near future we go back to the rotation.

Archived