MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Classic Man said:

Just noticed this on last night's ESPN highlights. When did the Indians switch to the red cap while wearing their navy top? I'll admit, I love this look for them.

-56ac3d85ad002a9b.jpg

They did this as an attempted to "slowly phase out" Chief Wahoo after they wore nothing but Wahoo gear in the postseason.

XM4KeeA.png

10 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

^ They did that for like 3 games this year and kind of just stopped doing it. 

Probably because it's approaching September, which is reserved for the annual "the Redskins have a racist logo" talking points, which means the Indians will be forgotten about. It's just they happened to make it all the way to the World Series last year.

On 8/5/2017 at 6:28 PM, mikey from recess said:

DGgIhvdVoAAnnmk.jpg

Yep, that's a beautiful hat. Nice change of pace for the Braves.

Hahaha it's the Axe of Damocles

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I thought it was already proven that the red cap experiment was not a way to phase out Wahoo. When the idea first came out the media assumed the purpose was to phase out Wahoo but the team never said that and if you actually look at their uniform lineup it actually increases the use of Wahoo. 

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I thought it was already proven that the red cap experiment was not a way to phase out Wahoo. When the idea first came out the media assumed the purpose was to phase out Wahoo but the team never said that and if you actually look at their uniform lineup it actually increases the use of Wahoo. 

I believe it had more to do with keeping the red hat in rotation once the infamous "cream" uniforms were retired. 

I actually really like the look and I think it gives them something that sets them apart from other rwb teams. For now it just seems like they wear the red hats whenever Salazar pitches at home. Hence the reason it was absent for awhile when he was on the DL.

24 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I believe it had more to do with keeping the red hat in rotation once the infamous "cream" uniforms were retired. 

Yes this is the actual reason. They retired the cream jerseys but wanted to keep the red hats.

So if you compare the 2016 uniform lineup and the 2017 uniform lineup, they just replaced the cream jersey with even more use of the navy jersey which was previously designated as a road only alternate.

At first glance it looks/looked like the red hat replaced the all navy Wahoo cap but that's not the case as the all navy Wahoo cap is still the road alternate cap. What actually happened was the navy jersey replaced the cream jersey so the navy jersey basically gets double usage now.

Just now, DouglasQuaid said:

I like chief wahoo, is that an unpopular opinion on theses boards?

I dunno if it's unpopular or not, but I like the logo, too. But it's mainly because the block C alternate is so dull. There's a more stylized C that I think would be a fine alternate logo, or perhaps the stylized I.

9 hours ago, Ark said:

The Reds should use this exact set, home and away both pullover jerseys

Home

be9bb2e7fc78e2179db32e7dec0a2664.jpg

Away

383f26210d9ba5fc474dde3cfa888d67.jpg

Alternate

MnllDrA.png

The addition of the vertical pants stripes down the legs really cluttered that set up.  I liked the 1972-87 version much better.

It's been said here many, many times, but for the sake of any newcomer who may be reading this, the Reds looked their best 1969-71, and it's a shame they didn't keep it forever, especially during their heydey of the 1970s.

tony_perez_1969_06_01.jpg51679228-cincinnati-reds-slugger-lee-may-batts-against-the.jpg?v=2&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QCYkXvS5-1ox_TnQW7T0rU2yXdu1uJNpoLLwey4LrcDL0&b=ODE=

The Mariners hat is the perfect color scheme (light blue, dark green, light green) for the Rays. (tried to post pic, having trouble)

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/new-era-mens-seattle-mariners-59fifty-little-league-classic-low-crown-authentic-hat-17newmmlbmrnrstclapa/17newmmlbmrnrstclapa?categoryId=529145

And currently (10:02 EDT) the Blue Jays and Marlins hats have not been posted.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

The addition of the vertical pants stripes down the legs really cluttered that set up.  I liked the 1972-87 version much better.

It's been said here many, many times, but for the sake of any newcomer who may be reading this, the Reds looked their best 1969-71, and it's a shame they didn't keep it forever, especially during their heydey of the 1970s.

If the team had resisted the pull of the pullover movement like the Yankees and like the Dodgers and the Big Red Machine had worn those uniforms for their World Championships they'd still be wearing them, unchanged, all these years later. I believe that in my core. 

Now I prefer the 1990 uniforms to the 75 unis, thought it was a more cohesive set and white outlines on the road uni vastly improved that look IMO. 

I've done this concept 9 million times, but my ideal uniform would be the 1990 unis with belts and buttons and with the uniquely Reds block number font. Basically the Blue Jays current template, but in red. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived