MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

It'll be interesting to see how well these sell. I can't imagine a lot of people will be shelling out $199.99 for an authentic three-game jersey that looks like the fashion jerseys they sell at JC Penny and sports a silly nickname.  Or even $29.99 for the t-shirt version.  I suppose the "Mauer" ones will go on sale eventually and sell OK.

So looking at the Twins site, it's amazing how many mediocre players they are selling authentics for.  Nobody is dropping that kind of money for a Ryan Pressly or Chris Gimenez authentic.  Nobody not related to them anyway. Hopefully that holds fairly true for the good players as well.  I suppose they can actually not even produce any of them until the order is made and only good players will be available at the team shop.

I'd anticipate a lot of Aaron Judge shirzees being sold (though I don't see them on the Yankee site right now) because people are eating up "All Rise."  But otherwise, I hope this absolutely flops.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, I think the jersey the Diamond Backs are rolling out for this looks better than any other jersey in their set.  It would look better paired with their black hat with the teal outline.

As fashion hats I'm ashamed to admit I like the Mets one and even the Yankees.

If MLB really desires to do something along these lines why couldn't they limit to Spring Training.  I'm going to be skipping watching baseball the three days this little league/players choice/whatever they want to call it goes on.

I can't wrap my head around that fact that the MLB makes any significant profit from doing these weekend change ups. Maybe for the stars and stripes weekend... but I don't know anyone that purchased Father's Day or Mother's Day gear. Likewise, I don't personally know anyone that wants one of these uniforms (except perhaps some fellow cap collectors). How does the MLB justify the expense for these gimmicks? 

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

13 minutes ago, Fassy said:

I can't wrap my head around that fact that the MLB makes any significant profit from doing these weekend change ups. Maybe for the stars and stripes weekend... but I don't know anyone that purchased Father's Day or Mother's Day gear. Likewise, I don't personally know anyone that wants one of these uniforms (except perhaps some fellow cap collectors). How does the MLB justify the expense for these gimmicks? 

Because for every person you personally know who wouldn't buy this merchandise, there are probably 100 people who would. Caps, especially, have to be a major money maker. I see so many variations of the Dodgers cap around here, and I'd imagine every other team sells a similar amount.

That Expos one looks amazing. 

So now that I've thought about this thing for a couple of days I realize MLB could have done this and not make it as garish by just going to more of an 80s little league look, or even dare I say the softball top look. Some of the uniforms are close but aren't there yet. I think the look they should have aimed for, which would look and feel like the little leagues but could still produce some nicer looking jerseys is this one...

Hug2_LLChronology.jpg.095c1975c3303cc4ca06b2d8d7ac63cf.jpg

Solid bright colored cap, solid color top with appropriately colored collar and cuff piping. The pants belt isn't necessary but the obvious biggest difference here is the sleeves. The awkward faux vest look of the sleeves of the players weekend jerseys is just plain bad, I have no clue why the sleeves are there or why they cut off right at the shoulder. For an MLB comparison from the 80s, I think most of us would be better able to accept if the teams on that weekend looked like this... 

amd-jefferson-mets-jpg.thumb.jpg.6f8744e92821a6b7321bbdc066af939f.jpg

I think it's pretty obvious that the above little league uniforms were inspired by this type of uniform from the 70s and 80s so why not go full circle and have MLB wear these for the players weekend?

With that said, if MLB really wanted contrasting colors on the sleeves, there was a better way to do that too... raglan sleeves. I don't know how raglan sleeves came into existence but whenever I see them I think of old style kids baseball uniforms like these, in the pic on the left that's actually Gary Sheffield...

1502458753051.thumb.jpg.97ea21b07adc4f0099fb5e025be25c87.jpg

I prefer the first pic above but either of these options would have improved the players weekend uniforms.

Anyways let's all rejoice that they aren't (yet) taking inspiration from the more recent Little League World Series uniforms such as this...

garradreact3_qdbpw8w6_drydp9dl.jpg.27b215a2071e9f2d071b3a3a4edc47ea.jpg

11 hours ago, Fassy said:

The Orioles auction these jerseys for charity, and likely other teams do as well.

13 hours ago, Fassy said:

I can't wrap my head around that fact that the MLB makes any significant profit from doing these weekend change ups. Maybe for the stars and stripes weekend... but I don't know anyone that purchased Father's Day or Mother's Day gear. 

I bought a Rays Father's Day cap, but mainly because it's pretty close to the same shade as their Columbia Blue that they already wear. My sister was also considering buying a Mother's Day cap because, you know, pink.

Some people just like alternate gear. I also have a Rays cap in all black, and my dad's favorite hat is a tan and navy Rays cap. If MLB creates something that I like, I'll probably buy it. Does that encourage them to have more of these events? Probably. But like some others have said, baseball has 162 games, and sometimes it's okay to do something fun or different. I kind of doubt this will become a yearly thing, and in ten or twenty years, we'll look back on it like Turn Ahead The Clock Night.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

So I imagine that this gimmick is meant to connect with Little Leaguers and kids in general.  I question the ability for brighter colors, fashion-jersey designs, and nicknames to do that.  However, what if they worse these for BP only?  That would let the Yankees keep their dignity and then they could have team staff go an pick 25 kids to go down to the field and each would get to meet a player, who would autograph the jersey and hand over the jersey and hat.  I'm not certain what to do with the road team...but actually, staff could probably find a handful of kids dressed in road team gear and the rest...well meeting a player from another team and getting his jersey is not a bad thing.

I just question the ability for this to "reach" kids.  I suppose that's not the goal, but it could be...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As Gothamite stated, MLB is engaging in gimmicks because they sell, and I think they are right (I don't want to assume gender). At the same time, one has to wonder, how long will the tolerance last? MLB has laid gimmicks on thick the last two years by adding Mother's Day and Father's Day uniform sets to the Memorial Day and 4th of July uniforms. TATC is remembered because it was awesomely awful and a rare thing for MLB to do and haven't done since. I could be wrong, perhaps the merchandise buying public will continue to vote with their wallets, but I hope I'm not.

As much as people like us hate these gimmicks mostly because of how bad they look on the field, more than we care to admit actually are great looking fashion caps and jerseys and thus yes they do sell. It actually makes perfect sense from a fan perspective as opposed to being an on field thing. I don't love seeing my team wearing pink caps for mothers day but my wife loves her pink Marlins cap and she wears it proudly and I think it looks great on her. I didn't buy one this year but my brother in law is in the military and I love the memorial day caps from this year I'd wear it if I had one even though I'm not a fan of seeing my team wear it on the field. So bottom line is no matter how much we hate them on the field fans will buy them. Gotta remember too that casual fans outnumber us uniform junkies and traditionalists by far. 

Let me add one thing: When I asked my friends who play Little League (well, actually Babe Ruth, but it's really the same), they thought MLB was mocking the fact that their uniforms suck.

Yeah. They aren't even uni-nerds like us and they think that 1) their uniforms suck and 2) MLB is making fun of Little League because of it. And they are people who love love love the Diamondbacks and Mavericks jerseys and the Jaguars helmet (they just like the helmet, not the rest of the design). Yeah.

ExJworW.png

On 8/6/2017 at 4:20 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Well, give them thinner stripes and go back to the much superior block font, Block Standard Bold (what the Royals use on their home uniforms).

brm-6.jpg

That custom Reds block font (mid-1980's to 1998) looked really cheap and tacky.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the oversized lettering looks cheap and tacky.  Like a Chinese knock-off.

It's a good thing Saltalamacchia wasn't kicking around back then.  They barely fit "Driessen".

That being said, it's a part of the team's history, and it would be fine for them to bring it back.  It's a quirk like the multiple NY's or D's, or the Cowboy's color schemes.  I wouldn't want it across the league, but it works in one place.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:50 PM, Fassy said:

You don't need to make money.  Those two weekends are for cancer awareness, so it's all PR.  You can take the hit if it looks like you care for a cause.

20 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Loria agrees to sell Miami Marlins to Sherman and Jeter, source says

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article166767852.html

Last time this was announced, I jumped the gun.  I think it's safe this time.

As for the actual Player's Weekend uniforms...

The concept is well-intentioned, but silly and in execution incredibly stupid.  You're going to restrict the jersey's to a certain amount of colors, but then make the jerseys wildly different colors?  Here's a few random thoughts.

-People have been lamenting the way the Yankees have rolled over in recent years, but it's interesting to note that it seems they still have some fight left in them.  They seem to have dug their heels in the sand and refused to switch out their team colors for Little League colors.  The Twins and Rockies seem to have done the same.  Kudos.  I'm unsure if green is a part of the Little League color scheme, so I can't tell if Oakland did as well.

-I've been thinking that the basic design (ignoring the often terrible color choices) actually looks pretty good.  It harkens back to the pullover era, and if the cycle repeats and we hit a time when button-downs feel old and passe to the masses and pullovers become retro-cool again, I could see some of these being the new wave of pullover.  That being said, I just realized that I think the reason these appeal to me is because in my head, I'm imagining them looking like t-shirts, including being cut like them.  I'm imagining a tighter, cleaner cut as opposed to the blousey way a lot of guys wear uniforms today.

But now I'm realizing that there's just as much chance that players are going to wear them in whatever ill-fitting size they want.  That's going to make these look absolutely terrible.  It's the difference between the Cubs blues on Zambrano and on Chapman.  One looks like a soccer coach and the other looks like a professional ball player.

-People have been comparing these to TATC.  I agree, but don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.  The oversized logos throw tradition to the wind, but don't really look too bad as a one-off (or rather three-off) look.  I especially like the Reds in this respect.  It's not the full covering of the front of the jersey with the logo and weird vertical name on the back.  It's a happy medium.  TATC was such an insane experiment that it's beloved by fans.  It's kind of neat in a novel way to see a better version of it show up.

-Okay... seriously... the colors.  What the heck?  The most glaring misstep in this respect is the intrusion of a strange bright blue in some uniforms.  The Cubs, Dodgers, Astros, Royals, Mariners, and Blue Jays are what I'm talking about here.  And it's not like they are doing this to match the Little League colors, because the blue for the caps is completely different.  These teams should all look so much better than this.  They all have great home looks.  Imagine the Dodgers with white sleeves and Dodger blue piping instead of this.  How much better would that be?

The amount of gray that's everywhere is odd, but I assume that this is for teams that are away during the event.  While I can respect this for the Tigers for eschewing being pushed into a colored alt, this seems strange for the Rockies, Giants, and Orioles, who all wear colored alts.  

Most egregious, though, is the outlining for the Giants.  A white outline seperating two light colors...  It actually causes more confusion and makes the wordmark stand out less than if there was no outline at all.  Speaking of outlines, it's not the only hindering outline.  The Pirates are similarly made incredibly fuzzy by their wordmark outline.  It's terrible.  Same for the A's.  The Dodgers and Royals got away with no outline.  Why couldn't these teams?  The Marlins went for a black outline, but black isn't present anywhere else, despite it being one of their colors.  The powder blue, orange, and white don't contrast enough, and a little black to break things up on the sleeves would be nice.  I often see color schemes that similarly are all too light put forth for the Marlins or Rays, and it comes out looking too pastel for my tastes.  That might just be me, though.

Why are the Nationals in black?  Why are the Rangers in powder blue?  They wore that in the pullover era with an older identity.  It's strange for them to bring that back now for this event.  Are teams being forced to do something as far away from any current uniforms?

-The nicknames... are actually incredibly fun.  I've been loving the guessing games, and a lot of them are really funny.

In the end, my top ones would be the Cardinals, Twins, Reds, and Yankees.  My bottom three would be the Giants, Cubs, and Rangers.

Jeez.  That actually turned into a lot more than I expected to write.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived