MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Whoa!  Phillies breaking out the matching cream pants.  Those things are beauties!

tommy-joseph-of-the-philadelphia-phillie

Cream jerseys with white neck and sleeve piping are terrible.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

These are all ugly (and some of the socks were uglier than ugly) and this is stupid. Why is this all weekend?

INCOMING RANT

Little League doesn't even look like this, I don't know who came up with this and why they thought the only jerseys little leaguers wear are contrasting sleeve colored jerseys. It's beyond stupid. Even the rec league baseball growing up in a town of 14,000 had more creative jerseys than these. and these kids don't have their nicknames on the backs of their jerseys... Ugh... Just so incredibly stupid.

I have to beg to differ here. When I played in the early 90's our jerseys looked quite similar to the ones the players are wearing this weekend. I was on the Angels and we wore navy blue pullover shirts, generic script font on the front, white sleeves with pinstripes and red white red striping on the cuffs and collars. Watching last night really did give me the feeling like I was watching men wearing kids' uniforms. 

Like this 

IMG_2428.JPG.d3b63dd4ea74d5a5231d8904f2228a88.JPG

We didn't have nicknames on our backs, but we did have our first names and I can remember at least one team that put nicknames on their shirts. 

I dont deny that the whole thing is pretty dumb, but I think they nailed the actual uniform part. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm disappointed in both the Yankees and their fans. The team for sullying the greatest home look in baseball and the fans for not burning the stadium down.

Meh. They've cheapened the look already by wearing the special uniforms so many times before. 

Remember this?

IMG_9146.JPG

My little league teams just wore batting practice-looking versions of the MLB teams -- regular home hats, no contrasting sleeves, no neon, certainly no names on the back because those jerseys were getting reused for ten years.

that said, some of these jerseys look really nice. Basically all the navy and red ones. Matching caps would've been nice, though.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The biggest problem to me is still the brightness. I can't remember ever seeing a little league team that wore neon florescent colors reminiscent of highlighters. They could have gone colorful with regular saturation of the colors. There's no purpose for the Cubs or Astros to wear bright blue or the B on the Red Sox cap to be bright blue or the DBacks to wear bright red or the Rockies to wear a brighter purple etc etc. 

I do have to say that some of these uniforms really do resemble Little League uniforms quite well. The ones that are more "conventional" colors - navy blue, royal blue, red, forest green, etc. - do nail the classic "Little League" aesthetic. The more off-beat ones, like the Mariners, don't look like Little League uniforms at all.

I also have a feeling that these uniforms better resemble the Little League of kids who played in the 90s and beforehand, as opposed to that of kids today. Probably why some younger fans are thinking "these don't look like Little League uniforms at all!" Modern-day Little League uniforms, at least in wealthier areas, probably look a bit nicer and more professional than these. Certainly by the time a team makes a regional tournament of the LLWS, they're being outfitted in more advanced jerseys. But that wasn't really the case back in the 90s.

I came from a fairly wealthy area in Connecticut (as compared to the rest of the country, at least), and I remember our Little League uniforms were just t-shirts with the team name printed in big bold letters on the front, and a team sponsor name in place on a NOB. It was a big deal when you got to be 12 years old and got to wear t-shirts with three stripes on the sleeve. That was in the very early 2000s. Compare that to what that same Little League is wearing today:

920x920.jpg

For the kids out there, this is what our Little League wore in 1989 in the Little League World Series:

9016686_orig.jpg

Times have changed, indeed.

(Bonus points for anyone who can name a future NHL team captain in that photo. ;) )

19 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I do have to say that some of these uniforms really do resemble Little League uniforms quite well. The ones that are more "conventional" colors - navy blue, royal blue, red, forest green, etc. - do nail the classic "Little League" aesthetic. The more off-beat ones, like the Mariners, don't look like Little League uniforms at all.

I also have a feeling that these uniforms better resemble the Little League of kids who played in the 90s and beforehand, as opposed to that of kids today. Probably why some younger fans are thinking "these don't look like Little League uniforms at all!" Modern-day Little League uniforms, at least in wealthier areas, probably look a bit nicer and more professional than these. Certainly by the time a team makes a regional tournament of the LLWS, they're being outfitted in more advanced jerseys. But that wasn't really the case back in the 90s.

I came from a fairly wealthy area in Connecticut (as compared to the rest of the country, at least), and I remember our Little League uniforms were just t-shirts with the team name printed in big bold letters on the front, and a team sponsor name in place on a NOB. It was a big deal when you got to be 12 years old and got to wear t-shirts with three stripes on the sleeve. That was in the very early 2000s. Compare that to what that same Little League is wearing today:

920x920.jpg

For the kids out there, this is what our Little League wore in 1989 in the Little League World Series:

9016686_orig.jpg

Times have changed, indeed.

(Bonus points for anyone who can name a future NHL team captain in that photo. ;) )

Okay.  See, I was wondering about all these people posting pictures of what their Little League teams looked like.  I never understood what the deal was with these uniforms everyone was showing off.  This is what we wore.

ABmWq6t.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Most of the caps and jerseys from this weekend should never see the light of day again after Sunday, but I actually wouldn't mind if these ones were made into semi-regular alternates (if they used the teams' regular NOB/number styling and exact color values):

IMG_6977.thumb.JPG.df6da7d6f0d7157537db0c14dab214bf.JPGIMG_6979.thumb.JPG.6faeaf82114ef6f209657136320c729a.JPGIMG_6980.thumb.JPG.3771d28e486307a48545171b26232956.JPGIMG_6983.thumb.JPG.9a30146eac540a438f10ef20458722a5.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

33 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The better ones are the ones that actually use the team colors and not neon variations of the colors. 

This, for the most part.  Also those whose caps match the jersey.  Those who do both are twice as good.

My favorites from the weekend:

mike-trout-of-the-los-angeles-angels-of-

kendall-graveman-of-the-oakland-athletic

yolmer-sanchez-of-the-chicago-white-sox-

ryan-sherriff-of-the-st-louis-cardinals-

brett-gardner-aaron-hicks-and-aaron-judg

shortstop-francisco-lindor-of-the-clevel

robert-stephenson-of-the-cincinnati-reds

freddy-galvis-of-the-philadelphia-philli

john-curtiss-of-the-minnesota-twins-cele

Like someone had said before, the navy/red ones really did come out the best.  It's a dang good color combination.  The Red Sox and Nats (who ARE navy), though, I can't get past the differences in the cap colors.

The worst (to me at least) fall into two camps.  There's the ones with too much light colors that don't have enough dark to contrast well (Rays, Giants, Orioles).  Then there's the ones with the random bright blue sleeves that don't match anything in the identity (Cubs, Dodgers, Royals).  At least the Blue Jays have a history with lighter blues in their identity, but it still doesn't look that good.

Side note: Seeing one or two of the Mariners include orange accessories... I kinda dig that color combination.  I think the execution is all wrong, but I think those three colors would work well in Miami.

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Most of the caps and jerseys from this weekend should never see the light of day again after Sunday, but I actually wouldn't mind if these ones were made into semi-regular alternates (if they used the teams' regular NOB/number styling and exact color values):

IMG_6977.thumb.JPG.df6da7d6f0d7157537db0c14dab214bf.JPGIMG_6979.thumb.JPG.6faeaf82114ef6f209657136320c729a.JPGIMG_6980.thumb.JPG.3771d28e486307a48545171b26232956.JPGIMG_6983.thumb.JPG.9a30146eac540a438f10ef20458722a5.JPG

2 observations:

#1: Billy Hatcher going by "El Hatcho" is hilarious.

#2: I'm admittedly biased as an A's fan, but I hope the A's figure out some way to build on this weekend and keep uniforms like that in the rotation somehow. Those are amazing and if I had the $200(!!!) I would purchase Josh Phegley's "PTBNL" jersey in a millisecond. (seasoned A's fans never buy jerseys with actual names on the back, they're always gone in 2-4 years.) I love the yellow caps with the green bill too.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

15 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:
4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

IMG_6983.thumb.JPG.9a30146eac540a438f10ef20458722a5.JPG

I'm admittedly biased as an A's fan, but I hope the A's figure out some way to build on this weekend and keep uniforms like that in the rotation somehow.

The colours are great.  But the shirt should have had the "A's" mark on the left breast. I'm so sick of that bland "Athletics" wordmark.

The Phillies' jerseys demonstrated that the logo on the left breast goes well with this jersey style -- and they don't even have a history with that sort of logo placement on a jersey.

By contrast, the A's we're known for having the A on the front of the jersey in Philadelphia, and then again in Oakland.

20170826_181149.jpg.8c7a27639ab51561bd3ad606a6d8342e.jpg  5ed1fbc21f0932aeec8f6baf4fb15441.jpg.3aa8e5d015143546d00745731b661d2a.jpg 

51k2aSBiJQL._SY445_.jpg.2c4e446cabd91efb15a13be15888de89.jpg

It's time to go back to that.

The "Athletics" word mark was just a Kansas City invention.

f85140f20af0ff4b27bd2ee7a897f859.jpg.f69bee18175b92427974897b8141916d.jpg

This mark has kept this team's uniforms mediocre for far too long.  I'm sick of it; and I'd love to see it dropped.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived