MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mjd77 said:

But they have to exist...because now we have yet another shiny new variation of your team hat you need to buy.

And they must be big money makers since they always make the clearance sales on MLB Shop. Great way to get a team cap on the cheap though. 

13 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

And they must be big money makers since they always make the clearance sales on MLB Shop. Great way to get a team cap on the cheap though. 

Absolutely, and this is probably the direct result of complete overkill with this stuff.  I think it's at the point where the market is just oversaturated with this stuff.

10 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

The first (and earliest in quite a while) division champ logo of the season (logo in the link; a few of the shirts seen below)
https://t.co/crFjkuP4zg

59b5cc2c56f69.image.jpg?resize=1200,825

I remember when baseball players were real men and could douse one another in champagne without ski goggles (or whatever those things are).

TOC_AP7910060214.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

44 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I remember when baseball players were real men and could douse one another in champagne without ski goggles (or whatever those things are).

Are those New Era "Celebration Goggles"?  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Are those New Era "Celebration Goggles"?  

Well, they do have New Era logos on them . . .

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 minute ago, leopard88 said:

Well, they do have New Era logos on them . . .

Yeah...maybe I'm out of touch on this, but I had no idea they were in the ski goggle business.  Seems like a couple years ago it was BYOG...then New Era said "hmmm...how can we get more exposure on team events like this?"

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

TOC_AP7910060214.jpg

'It might be a goggles controversy'

The most recent additions to celebrations have been swimming and ski goggles, which are now as much a staple of the festivities as the alcohol itself. While individual players were seen wearing them sporadically over the years, beginning with Bobby Ojeda after the Mets won the World Series in 1986, the 2004 Red Sox were the first team to wear eye protection while celebrating. It has become an annual tradition, but there's a dispute as to which player on the Red Sox did it first.

Johnny Damon claimed Orlando Cabrera was the first one to sport swimming goggles postgame, but David Ortiz also has been credited for the innovation.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1014%2Fr16955_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=570 David Ortiz may or may not have been the first player to celebrate while wearing goggles, an innovation credited to his 2004 Red Sox team. Al Bello/Getty Images

"It might be a goggles controversy," said Kevin Millar, who was on the 2004 Red Sox team. "I would've guessed Orlando Cabrera ... might've been Ortiz. I wasn't a huge goggle guy at that point. ... I remember in '03 when we clinched something, sitting here blinking. So when he broke the goggles out [I thought]: 'What a great idea! Get the ski goggles going. Anything you can think of to protect your eyes from champagne.' If we were the guys that brought it out for everyone else, I'm proud of that."

While the sight of 25 or so players in a clubhouse wearing Oakley or Nike ski goggles might be jarring to traditionalists, it's more than just a fashion statement. The alcohol content in champagne can actually cause corneal abrasions for 48 hours, and that's not even taking into account flying corks.

"When we celebrated, we had a good time, but we didn't have goggles," Lasorda said. "We didn't do anything crazy, but I love what the guys are doing now, too."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/13902529/this-bubbly-evolution-champagne-celebrations-baseball

4 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I don't know.  That's one of those items that has a very short shelf life.  I suspect that they sell a ton of them right away, and then whatever leftovers there are just linger on clearance.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I don't know.  That's one of those items that has a very short shelf life.  I suspect that they sell a ton of them right away, and then whatever leftovers there are just linger on clearance.

You're probably right to some extent, and I've wondered if Fanatics has a conservative strategy to their items since sizes seem to sell out quicker than they did when MLB managed the shop. 

The Rockies have been painfully overdue for a rebrand for at least 15 years now. Their brand is dated in the worst way possible.

And seriousy, whose bright idea was it to use Times New Roman (or some derivative thereof)? It's a baseball jersey, not a newspaper.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

In the big SFGiants58 concept thread I called the Rockies one of the all-around worst identities in pro sports. Anyone want to dispute this?

It's not as bad as the Clippers (though they improved with Nike) or OKC.  And if "pro" sports includes minor leagues, then no, the Rockies are not the worst identity.

Archived