MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

Now that they committed to matching numbers, the cursive Pittsburgh would look kind of weird. Now for matching NOBs, one can hope.

I like the tail on Milwaukee but I'm a sucker for tailed scripts. What's baseballier?

You're right, I hadn't considered that.  I'm not a fan of the matched number font.  I think a plain block would complement the wordmark better.

Maybe if there was no front number it wouldn't be as bad.  I wouldn't mind if they went block on the road though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It is distinctive - for people like us, or people who have watched baseball forever and are more used to scripts having tails.  To average Joe, it's just cursive writing.

Same with the old Pittsburgh script - I think it was plenty distinctive on its own.  Like the Mil one, I like how they started off - no fancy tails or anything with the first letters.

I don't love PITTSBURGH on the current road jerseys - it's nice, but too many letters.  The script would look nice.

I like the current pittsburgh, I do.

But the pittsburgh script is too beautiful to pass up. Especially with road pinstripes, but those are optional.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I like tails but after seeing mention of how poorly it works off o the "e," (which I cannot unsee; thanks) , I think the Milwaukee script looks better sans tail.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I like the current pittsburgh, I do.

But the pittsburgh script is too beautiful to pass up. Especially with road pinstripes, but those are optional.

The road pinstripes were horrific.  I have no idea what they were thinking when they added those.  Why the hell have pinstripes on the road but not at home?  ROad pinstrips in general are dumb IMO, but especially when they're not worn at home.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/16/2017 at 7:35 PM, daveindc said:

At least they did this for them:

This made me realize ...there are no flamingo references in Marlins park. Besides the bright colors it doesnt have much of a "Miami vibe" inside. I dont count the HR monstrosity. 

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:
22 hours ago, Ark said:

tBEqsiW.jpg

That does look good. A button-up version would instantly be the best road uniform they've ever worn.   And a good compliment to their regular retro alts, which are great uniforms. 

$_57.JPG

(But just imagine that the tail is not there.)

[EDIT: I see now that @Hat Boy beat me to it.  That's what I get for not reading the thread all the way through and for falling so far behind on my notifications.]

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 9/18/2017 at 8:57 AM, KGeeX5 said:

This made me realize ...there are no flamingo references in Marlins park. Besides the bright colors it doesnt have much of a "Miami vibe" inside. I dont count the HR monstrosity. 

But you have to count the HR sculpture. It's there and is loaded with cliched Miami references. That would be like me saying "Citi Field has no references to NY being called the Big Apple... I don't count count their HR sculpture" 

On 9/17/2017 at 2:24 PM, Ark said:

What looks good looks good it doesn't matter if it's "generic" or not.

It's a good argument against those who decry classic looks for being too "boring".

On another note, as I got my championship signature images ready for the MLB postseason, I noticed that if the Twins end up winning the second wild card, the American League will be all navy this postseason.

Also, in the even more obscure, I'm disappointed to see the Rangers overtake the Angels in the standings.  Before that had happened, the AL West standings spelled out "HATS"

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 9/30/2017 at 11:51 PM, daveindc said:

Looks like there will be some nice uniform matchups for the playoffs this year.

DLBmjZuW4AADWEl.jpg:large

So the Division and LCS are sponsored this year? Can't say I'm a huge fan of that...

Also, how much more money did T-Mobile have to shell out to make sure their logo was in the signature fuschia?

10 hours ago, Bradbury said:

So the Division and LCS are sponsored this year? Can't say I'm a huge fan of that...

I can see a near future where the NBA sells outright naming rights to the third round if not the entire conferences. If we ever got the mythical five-division-zero-conference alignment it would be near-automatic that that would happen and we'd see teams playing in the T-Mobile Series or something. Everyone will love it as long as "the revenue helps your team compete" and the corporations in question do woke public relations.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Can't get worse than the jizm-dripping corporate whores that are NCAA football bowl logos.

e22c5a86-9c9b-11e5-be00-5e2522772588-780

I mean good lord.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Just now, DiePerske said:

Hate naming rights. Next stop, team naming rights like the DHL Stormers in South Africa. 

Give me a jersey plastered with ads before you sell the naming rights to an event, building, or team. 

Like the "Red Bulls" in MLS.?

I recall hearing a story years ago about how the Bears were becoming "Chicago Bears Presented by Bank One."  I remember feeling kinda ill about it but it either did not come to fruition, was only used on letterhead and other stuff I don't see, or was just a regular team sponsor like all teams have been using for decades (i.e., to be draped behind the coach at press conferences, etc.)

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-06-20/business/0306200109_1_bank-one-ieg-sponsorship-report-bank-s-customer

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

7 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Like the "Red Bulls" in MLS.?

Connecticut Sun, named after Mohegan Sun.

POTD (Shared)

Personally, I'd love to see ads all over the interview boards. That's where they belong, and not on the building name nor events. 

Also high visibility but not during the pace of play. Even can have portable ones for in game interviews. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived