MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

Sorry to everyone for my Warren C. Giles trophy crusade. I found this write-up on the trophy presented to the Cubs. I wonder if MLB is scrapping the traveling trophy (a new AL trophy is presented every year) in favor of an easy to produce, and yet generic, trophy to be given out for keeps. 

https://www.1gabe.com/cubs-win-nlcs-trophy-shimrock-wood-art/

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Sorry to everyone for my Warren C. Giles trophy crusade. I found this write-up on the trophy presented to the Cubs. I wonder if MLB is scrapping the traveling trophy (a new AL trophy is presented every year) in favor of an easy to produce, and yet generic, trophy to be given out for keeps. 

https://www.1gabe.com/cubs-win-nlcs-trophy-shimrock-wood-art/

You know, if the designer just used traditional right angles instead of random slopes and angles, that would've been a pretty good trophy. I like the centerpiece design, actually. But the misshapen nature of the trophy makes it look like a cobbled-together mess of pieces salvaged from the old trophy. I'm guessing part of the reason they replaced it so suddenly was that the new trophy got a rather poor reception from the 1% of fans who noticed it was different.

The (new) new trophy? Not a bad design, but nothing remarkable at all. It's generic, it's fairly boring, it's not memorable. I personally want the old Warren C. Giles trophy back.

FWIW, when the original Warren C. Giles Trophy debuted in 1967, the NL didn't have 16 teams - it had 10 teams. The NL wouldn't hit the 16 team mark until 1998, a full 3 decades after the trophy debuted. The 16 columns had nothing to do with the number of team in the league - it was just a happy coincidence for a little over a decade. So to get rid of the trophy because the 16 columns no longer aligned to the 16 teams in the league, frankly, makes no sense to me. Sounds like a poor excuse for an unnecessary 'modernization.'

On 10/20/2017 at 3:15 AM, jerseyjunk said:

Uhh, i don´t get it, surely the World series patch is not gonna look like this on the jerseys? Huge WS letters.

ff_2956199_full.jpg&w=600

Thought they would be like this:

7451__mlb_world_series-primary-2017.png

2017-MLB-World-Series-Jersey-Patch.jpg

$_58.JPG

That WS patch looks like sh** !

I mean, literally, that patch could be hanging on a WC door

And where did Chris get that photo of that great looking World Series patch.

I'm an Indians fan, and I regretted not getting a World Series hoodie last year. After the Dodgers clinched, I joked I was 5% less disappointed by the Tribe's early flameout because this year's hoodie (which uses that same "WS" design) is so awful.

I have no idea why MLB would try to get "WS" over as a thing with its merchandise. You hear ALCS/NLCS regularly, and the division series acronym eventually caught on. No one will ever see "WS" and think "World Series."

IMHO, the Houston Astros are one tweek away from having great uniforms.  I love the color scheme, the logo, and the variations in their current uniforms, but something is needed to put them over the top (a star on the front of the jersey or small shooting stars on the sleeves).

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

2 hours ago, Mitch B said:

IMHO, the Houston Astros are one tweek away from having great uniforms.  I love the color scheme, the logo, and the variations in their current uniforms, but something is needed to put them over the top (a star on the front of the jersey or small shooting stars on the sleeves).

Image result for houston astros matte helmets

100615-MLB-ASTROS-TO-ALDS-EH-PI.vresize.

You would think that this uniform could use the star that was typical on the previous sets, but the letters are so basic compared to the other ones I don't know if the star would look right with them. Could still be an upgrade regardless.

The caps that you can buy and are presumably the on-field caps have the actual "World Series" patch, albeit a bit small. This might be why the Astros/Dodgers jerseys will have the larger, abbreviated World Series patches. Frankly, not a fan of either, but whatever. They are what they are.

What bothers me more than anything else is the World Series is now being presented by YouTubeTV. Like the ads on NBA jerseys, you know that eventually, it won't even be the World Series anymore. It will be the Chik-Fil-A Series, or the McDonald's Series, or the Bank of America Series. Just like the Sprint Cup. The MLB has now opened that door and we'll eventually get there.

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

The caps that you can buy and are presumably the on-field caps have the actual "World Series" patch, albeit a bit small. This might be why the Astros/Dodgers jerseys will have the larger, abbreviated World Series patches. Frankly, not a fan of either, but whatever. They are what they are.

What bothers me more than anything else is the World Series is now being presented by YouTubeTV. Like the ads on NBA jerseys, you know that eventually, it won't even be the World Series anymore. It will be the Chik-Fil-A Series, or the McDonald's Series, or the Bank of America Series. Just like the Sprint Cup. The MLB has now opened that door and we'll eventually get there.

But should´t   it then be the other way around, WS on caps, full world series script on jersey patch 

6 hours ago, Quillz said:

I think it’ll be a very long time before it’s no longer the World Series...maybe a hundred years.  Remember, the most popular college bowl games used to not have sponsors either, but then it changed to the Rose Bowl presented by Vizio and the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.  The "World Series" is one of MLB's most valuable trademarks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, daveindc said:

Image result for houston astros matte helmets

100615-MLB-ASTROS-TO-ALDS-EH-PI.vresize.

You would think that this uniform could use the star that was typical on the previous sets, but the letters are so basic compared to the other ones I don't know if the star would look right with them. Could still be an upgrade regardless.

The curving of the wordmark lends itself to the use of the the shooting star logo, but that logo seems a bit campy to me.  Perhaps it could be modernized.  I've wondered how small shooting star logos on the sleeves might look.

I'm not a big fan of colored jerseys in baseball, with the exception of a few teams.  Houston is one of those teams.  I love that orange jersey.  It just needs a star or rainbow side panels to complete the look.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Yeah, not a huge fan. But I guess they want "WS" to become as recognizable as "LCS" or "LDS." Not a fan of the recent patches in terms of material, either. They're basically just rubberized plastic to an extent. I liked it when they were actually sewn onto the jerseys.

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

You can't make an acronym with just two letters. That's just stupid. And yes I'm aware Burger King tries to do it. Still stupid. Even more stupid in sports especially for an event that's gone over a hundred years without being forced into being an acronym. 

Thats not an acronym.  And unless Burger King is trying to get you to pronounce their abbreviation “Bek”, neither is that. 

Archived