MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Considering Camden Yards was a revolutionary ballpark when it opened and started a true ballpark renaissance it seems very appropriate. Without it we'd all still be watching games in places like this...

4581286213_86b762a7d1.jpg

As an Expos fan, I wish we were still watching games in places like that. :(

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

11 hours ago, Lights Out said:

As an Expos fan, I wish we were still watching games in places like that. :(

Well if the Expos were to have survived we'd be watching in their games in a place like this...

Z3w3dHm.jpg

3 hours ago, DiePerske said:

For what it's worth, the Padres prospects are wearing last year's home jersey for the AFL all star game. 

Yep, seems like more evidence we may be sticking with the yellow/blue. If we do, I hope they use that yellow/grey road uniform that we only saw in the All-Star Game. I thought that was sweet.

I also think they ought to expand the use of the brown/gold to Saturdays too, not just Fridays. Some brown for the road on weekends would be great too.

On 11/4/2016 at 11:42 AM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

5648010608_ebed0aac04_b.jpg

Man, seeing this stadium early on is so weird because it looks the same but at the same time it doesn't. Also, what's up with the blue seats and blue walls? The White Sox switched to the current look at during the 1990 season before the park opened.

bSLCtu2.png

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Man, seeing this stadium early on is so weird because it looks the same but at the same time it doesn't. Also, what's up with the blue seats and blue walls? The White Sox switched to the current look at during the 1990 season before the park opened.

Green seats were installed in 2005.  Probably switched out the walls at the same time.  The stadium had blue seats for a long time.

A random search found these pictures from 1997:  http://home.n00.itscom.net/kbt-t/ballpark_mlb_al/comiskey97g_e.html

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The outfield walls at US Cellular were switched to black with blue and designs in 2003 for the All Star Game. Then in 2004, they switched them to green and showed the retired numbers in on the wall in left center. They started replacing the blue seats in 2005, when they redid the entire upper deck and mezzanine deck. The lower deck seats weren't replaced until 2006.

The rumor for why the park was blue is that team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf grew up a Dodgers fan in Brooklyn. However, it seems like parks back then just had ugly, random colors for the seats. That was the time where Kauffman stadium had cardinal red seats. Either way, one of the changes Oriole Park brought was to make everybody realize that the parks look better with seats in more natural colors. Everybody went green in the decade afterwards, and I think PNC was the first park to use dark blue seats.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

18 hours ago, Dra--- said:

I think it's here to stay. Could be worse. It usually is worse.

One thing I find interesting is how much the team uses a white wordmark with a yellow outline in blue (it's the same on the officially shirsey, for instance) while the brown alt is yellow with white. I wonder if this is part of what has been reported as the "streamlining" that's been reported.

On 11/5/2016 at 7:40 PM, DiePerske said:

For what it's worth, the Padres prospects are wearing last year's home jersey for the AFL all star game. 

Not really indicative of anything. The AFL always wears the just completed season's uniforms.

I actually wouldn't mind that as a full-time home look for the Royals. Them looking so close to the Dodgers has never really bugged me, but this would be a nice way to give them their own identity.

21 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

The outfield walls at US Cellular were switched to black with blue and designs in 2003 for the All Star Game. Then in 2004, they switched them to green and showed the retired numbers in on the wall in left center. They started replacing the blue seats in 2005, when they redid the entire upper deck and mezzanine deck. The lower deck seats weren't replaced until 2006.

The rumor for why the park was blue is that team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf grew up a Dodgers fan in Brooklyn. However, it seems like parks back then just had ugly, random colors for the seats. That was the time where Kauffman stadium had cardinal red seats. Either way, one of the changes Oriole Park brought was to make everybody realize that the parks look better with seats in more natural colors. Everybody went green in the decade afterwards, and I think PNC was the first park to use dark blue seats.

800px-U.S._Cellular_Field_Pano.jpg

The new upper deck has a less steep pitch, doesn't it? The new canopy does wonders to make it a more attractive stadium. Also that porch in left and the deck in center are cool. One of these days I'm going to have to schedule a Chicago baseball weekend and hit both parks. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

40 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

800px-U.S._Cellular_Field_Pano.jpg

The new upper deck has a less steep pitch, doesn't it? The new canopy does wonders to make it a more attractive stadium. Also that porch in left and the deck in center are cool. One of these days I'm going to have to schedule a Chicago baseball weekend and hit both parks. 

No, the pitch of the upper deck is the same as before. It's also no more steep than any of the other parks built in the '90s. There are two key reasons it looked or seemed so steep. First, in pretty much all the new parks, you enter the upper deck somewhere in the middle of the section vertically. You come out of the tunnel, then you either go up or down to the seats. For whatever reason, they built the concourse at the bottom of the UD, so you have to walk up to every seat. Also, the lower deck is smaller than in other parks of the '90s, and those extra seats were moved to the upper deck (reportedly to move the suites closer to the field). The original park had roughly the same capacity as OPCY had those seats in the lower deck instead of the gigantic upper deck. It was quite daunting coming out of the tunnel and looking up at something like 45 rows of seats, and it made it seem a lot steeper than it actually was. Regardless, I agree that the new roof is like night-and-day from the original one. It's a nice park. They've done all they could have with the original park. It's not PNC, but it's a nice place to see a ballgame.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

3 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Anyone with insider info can confirm that these are only fashion jerseys?

Screenshot_2016-11-07-20-10-04.png

Screenshot_2016-11-07-20-09-42.png

I really really hope those are just fashion jerseys. I prefer the powder blue to stay on the alternate jersey (which I want them to wear on the road with matching pants). I cant even really give a good explanation as to why I dont like this. I just dont. All I would like to see them do to differentiate from LA would be to go back to thick cuff stripes like they had in 85.

Archived