MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

39 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Dodgers are bad enough, but the White Sox really make me mad. They had a great alternate logo patch that got booted for the cap logo. 

Their reasoning was equally enraging. The team claimed they needed to put the primary logo on the sleeve so people would know it was a Chicago White Sox jersey.

A jersey with "Chicago" across the chest and a logo featuring a white sock on the sleeve apparently wasn't enough. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had several conversations with the marketing director of the Sox.  I hate that they made that move, and to a lesser degree I was also annoyed that they took the black/white tuxedo stripe off the pants, which now don't match the jersey.  It's frustrating.  Their road uniform was absolutely perfect.  It is timeless and classic.

This promo image from the St. Louis Cardinals calendar shows the team's 125th anniversary logo.  For some reason they only count years from joining the National League.  Seems like an odd mashup of eras to me.  

cardinals 125.png

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

5 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

Yep. When the Jays switched to the neoclassic set, I wished they moved the patch to the sleeve. It would probably work well on the sleeve and be more natural on the sleeve. However, it works on the body specifically because it's the Blue Jays and it's what they did for several years in which they were great, including two titles. If any other team tried to do it, it would look awful.

The Jays are kind of the exception that proves the rule, in terms of placing a logo on the front. They'd certainly look very good if they had a more traditional front number, with the logo on the sleeve, but I think the fact that they've traditionally had the logo on the front and it really does look good sets them apart from every other team. The Jays can get away with it because of a.) the history of it being there and b.) it just looks really damn good.

I can't think of a single other team that would be able to get away with a front logo patch like that. It would look out of place on anyone else (and FWIW, might even look out of place on the Jays if there weren't such a historical precedence there).

So I tweeted to Dennis Lin (Padres beat reporter for the UT) about the Padres cutting the yellow from their uniforms, and I asked 1) to confirm what he had said last season in a chat about MLB pushing the Padres to cut yellow and 2) ultimately why the Padres decided to cut it. Here's what he said:

don't remember saying there was pressure from MLB. If I did, I misspoke

0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

H0Zj7njq_bigger.jpg

they claim their research revealed less than 50 percent liked yellow

0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

I thought this was really surprising. I haven't heard many people at all say they disliked yellow.

EDIT:

Padres' owner on the uniform changes:

Fowler on uniforms

Asked about the Padres’ recently unveiled uniform changes, Fowler noted that yellow, which was removed from the home look for 2017, was “always something that was going to be looked at as a complement” in a year San Diego hosted the All-Star Game. The Padres’ decision to go back to a navy blue-and-white design has been widely panned as unimaginative.

“I like tradition,” Fowler said. “We don’t have any tradition except brown. We’ve done a lot of research on brown. A lot of people like brown, but it’s not the majority. My belief is we need to find a good, sustainable uniform and let the team grow into it. Whether this is it, I can’t say right now.”

The Padres are bringing back their brown-and-yellow alternates for Friday home games, but that color scheme seems unlikely to gain additional prominence in future years.

So Fowler doesn't like brown and doesn't want to admit that returning to it would increase the popularity, which means as long as he's in charge brown will not return.

I'm going to have to reconsider remaining a Padres fan.

Fowler on uniforms

“I like tradition,” Fowler said. “We don’t have any tradition except brown.”

Stop right there, Ron. You have your answer right there. Nevermind corporatespeak. Nevermind focus grouping. You said it yourself--you like tradition, and the Padres' tradition is brown. Stop running from your organization's tradition and embrace it, instead of trying to put your bland navy stamp on the team against the fans' wishes and your own logic.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

1 hour ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

Time to speculate...

It's probably just going to be announcing the UA deal

That or new ST uniforms (seems like it's too early for that though).

Interested to see what CC's got for us.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The big takeaway, for me, from Fower's quote is that he won't commit to these new jerseys. It really sounds like he said these are just stand-ins until they can find a design their focus group agrees on.

Also, if Fowler wants something traditional but the fans don't want brown (or yellow), why not blue and orange? They made the World Series in those colors, Caminiti won the team's only MVP in those colors and both Hoffman and Gwynn wore those colors. Gwynn's even wearing the 98 jerseys on his statue. AND they're wearing that jersey on Wednesdays already.

"I like tradition, so I'm introducing a uniform that has nothing to do with our tradition."

Curious how they do their market research.  Not doubting it (though I don't agree with the results), just wondering the method.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

"I like tradition, so I'm introducing a uniform that has nothing to do with our tradition."

Curious how they do their market research.  Not doubting it (though I don't agree with the results), just wondering the method.

Considering the results :

iStock_000018586868XSmall_610_300_s_c1_c

I stumbled across a PDF of the 2017 Majestic catalog and while it didn't have the new Padres uniforms or the Dbacks update, it did have the new jackets that Majestic is already selling on their website and all their examples were either Cubs or Indians so I'm assuming it's at least partially up to date. Anyway, in this catalog, there is a lot of Padres gear with yellow, including dugout sweatshirts. Is it possible that the Padres are going to be selling gear with a color combination they no longer actually use, with players and coaches even wearing some in the dugout? 

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

I stumbled across a PDF of the 2017 Majestic catalog and while it didn't have the new Padres uniforms or the Dbacks update, it did have the new jackets that Majestic is already selling on their website and all their examples were either Cubs or Indians so I'm assuming it's at least partially up to date. Anyway, in this catalog, there is a lot of Padres gear with yellow, including dugout sweatshirts. Is it possible that the Padres are going to be selling gear with a color combination they no longer actually use, with players and coaches even wearing some in the dugout? 

They do weird things that they sell but aren't on field. I have a yellow Pirates pullover that they only wore in black in the dugout, but sold the yellow at retail. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived