MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If MLB really has a preference for the "classic designs", someone must have been really persuasive to get the Diamondbacks crap OKd.

I'm all for contemporary looks, if they look professional and tasteful.  What the Diamondbacks did was neither.  

There's a reason we didn't see crap like that, or New Era flags on the side, until right after Selig stepped down as commissioner. 

2 hours ago, insert name said:

Is this legit? If so, the Mets took a step back with their set. 

IMG_9156.PNG

IMG_9157.PNG

Holy :censored:. How many goddamn hats do these guys need? They're exactly like the Jays, a top 5 set watered down with useless and ugly alts... I have no problem with the blue home jersey (I even own one) but the classic hat shouldn't be messed with.

If the Mets just cut down their set to their home pinstripes, away grays, and current home alternates (no reason they can't be worn on the road as well), with one single cap - goes without saying which one - they'd have one of the best sets in the majors.

It's really unfortunate that teams water down their identity with superfluous alternate jerseys and caps, just to sell more merchandise. I do wish MLB would impose limits on how many jerseys a team may wear in a season (perhaps 4), and how often alts may be worn (should be no more than 25% of the time, IMO). But they're never going to stop the merchandise gravy train, especially given that teams have 162 games to showcase various jerseys and caps.

I like that Mets hat better than the old one.  Never cared for the blue-orange two-toned.  With that said...it's kinda Piratey in that "We added an outline!" to the normal cap.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If MLB really has a preference for the "classic designs", someone must have been really persuasive to get the Diamondbacks crap OKd.

I'm all for contemporary looks, if they look professional and tasteful.  What the Diamondbacks did was neither.  

I can't disagree with you but I'll propose a counter argument that may explain what happened there. The DBacks insist their uniforms are hip and trendsetting and will attract younger fans to their team and to the game. If there's one thing mlb wants besides classic uniforms it's to attract the youth to grow the fan base. If the DBacks sold their uniforms to mlb with the same tagline they've been using on the fans then that might have made mlb agree to it. Just a thought. 

19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I was going to post the same thing.  I'm wondering if MLB only allowed Arizona's new stuff to get a reaction to see if fans will be accepting of this crap going forward or not.

That Mets cap is new? I feel like I've seen that from them before. Shows how many caps they have that I've suddenly lost track of what they have. Shame. So they have the regular cap, that one, the orange brim one, don't they have one with a gray NY logo? and do they still have the one with Mr met on it? Anyone wanna clarify this? I wonder if the all black one still exists like the Marlins orange, the Reds black, and the Rockies all purple caps because I know at least for a few seasons after they stopped wearing it the all black Mets cap was still available and considered an on field cap.

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

That Mets cap is new? I feel like I've seen that from them before. Shows how many caps they have that I've suddenly lost track of what they have. Shame. So they have the regular cap, that one, the orange brim one, don't they have one with a gray NY logo? and do they still have the one with Mr met on it? Anyone wanna clarify this? I wonder if the all black one still exists like the Marlins orange, the Reds black, and the Rockies all purple caps because I know at least for a few seasons after they stopped wearing it the all black Mets cap was still available and considered an on field cap.

The orange brim one has been replaced with the new one.  Mr. Met is the BP/ST hat.  The black hat is no longer in the rotation.

Then I don't hate that cap because the orange brim cap was unnecessary as the Mets have always matched the crown to the brim except for that stupid black cap with a blue brim around 2000. In this case at least this new cap matches the blue jersey it's being paired with as that jersey has the orange Mets script with a white outline. This also makes it a logical partner to the road version of the blue jersey which has a gray script with an orange outline as the cap for that one does. So basically this new cap actually makes perfect sense. 

Edit: just looked up pics to make sure my post made sense and I realize the orange brim cap did have the white outline around the orange NY so that part is nothing new. So all they did was literally turn that orange brim back to blue which again I'm OK with because no other current cap outside of their BP cap has a different color brim. Fans of the orange brim still have the BP cap to enjoy. This new change actually makes the two blue alternate caps match their corresponding jerseys better. 

Just now, SilverBullet1929 said:

Then I don't hate that cap because the orange brim cap was unnecessary as the Mets have always matched the crown to the brim except for that stupid black cap with a blue brim around 2000. In this case at least this new cap matches the blue jersey it's being paired with as that jersey has the orange Mets script with a white outline. This also makes it a logical partner to the road version of the blue jersey which has a gray script with an orange outline as the cap for that one does. So basically this new cap actually makes perfect sense. 

And the snow-cone hat!Rick_Reed_white_hat_April_16__1997_Al_Be

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

If this was replacing the grey NY cap, I'd be all for it. But it's not. Instead it's replacing obe of the best hats in MLB. This sucks. I like it but it's not a hat that should be worn everyday. 

It wont be worn everyday. Its replacing the orange brim cap which was usually worn with the alt blue jerseys. 

They still have the classic blue hat with orange NY as the primary. I do wish they got rid of the road cap alt, that one is terrible. 

Archived