Lights Out's MLB: Entire League Complete!

Lights Out

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you may. B)

CLEVELAND INDIANS

CAPS:

WBroWMg.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

JZZpCqn.png

Another red-white-navy color scheme bites the dust. Instead, the Indians get a more appropriate red-cream-brown color scheme. The '90s scripts take center stage again, while the striping pattern is inspired by the "Major League" uniforms. Chief Wahoo is also finally retired - all politics aside, it's a terrible logo that looks like something a corporate softball team from the 1950s would use, not a professional sports logo.

BP/SPECIAL:

nBSUBLm.png

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, the Indians wore unique batting practice jerseys with shoulder stripes. I thought it was a nice look, so I brought it back. The Indians also get a foreign-language alternate, featuring the Seneca word for "Indian." The Ohio Seneca tribe, led by Chief Stigwanish, had a prominent presence in Northeast Ohio at the time of Cleveland's founding, so I thought it would be a fitting tribute. In lieu of another script, I went with a block wordmark reminiscent of their uniforms from 1970 - a very underappreciated set.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

DETROIT TIGERS

CAPS:

pI7GtbR.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

vFQj3e1.png

As with the Yankees, the only change to the Tigers' classic home uniforms is the use of only one "D" logo. I went with the cap version instead of the jersey version because I just think it looks better. On the road, the cursive script is replaced by an Old English wordmark to match the cap logo. I left the front number off because I liked how it looked without it. The Tigers also get two navy alternates - one to wear at home and one on the road.

BP/SPECIAL:

LNbIYuq.png

The batting practice uniforms are inspired by their '90s racing-striped BP jersey. Believe it or not, an orange BP jersey would not be a first for the Tigers. Paradoxically, Detroit experimented with orange BPs on the road from 1992-93. The Tigers also get a foreign-language alternate, featuring the city name translated into Arabic, to honor the large Middle Eastern community in Detroit.

xLmjWVv.png

KANSAS CITY ROYALS

CAPS:

XHQwZWW.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

dC3lw5Y.png

For the Royals, I took inspiration from my favorite uniforms they've ever worn - their short-lived vests, and their classic powder-blue roads. Instead of BFBS, I used powder blue and gold trim.

BP:

6dYC8oO.png

The BP jerseys are based on their classic batting practice gear, but with powder blue and gold worked in - and their primary logo as the crest, because why not?

xLmjWVv.png

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

CAPS:

bwg1Bny.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

8HmYNrY.png

With the White Sox, I decided to emphasize white as much as possible. I guess you could say it's a reaction to the current state of their on-field identity, where they can't even be bothered to wear white socks. The normal home and road are based on their current road uniforms, albeit with matching stripes on the pants again. The alternates are based on the infamous "Winning Ugly" uniforms from the pullover era.

BP:

Z70OD76.png

These rather spartan batting practice jerseys are actually based on the one they wore from 1971-75 - the very first BP jersey in MLB history.

xLmjWVv.png

MINNESOTA TWINS

CAPS:

2bqJdSj.png

The TC cap monogram gets a much-needed update to match the wordmarks.

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

BuBQFv5.png

Yet another red-navy-white color scheme gets the heave-ho. Instead, the Twins adopt the iconic purple and gold of their hometown Vikings. The pinstripes make a comeback at home and on the road, and they finally get a matching road script. The sleeve patches are inspired by Minnie and Paul.

BP:

RnaVKQB.png

This will probably be the most polarizing concept of the entire series. One idea that used to be fairly common on here for Twins concepts was using split-color designs to symbolize the Twin Cities. I decided to put my own spin on that idea by borrowing the "harlequin" jersey design from soccer. I'm not expecting it to get rave reviews, but it's a fun idea.

=========================================

Coming up next: the NL Central.

xLmjWVv.png

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Yes, you may. B)

CLEVELAND INDIANS

CAPS:

WBroWMg.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

JZZpCqn.png

Another red-white-navy color scheme bites the dust. Instead, the Indians get a more appropriate red-cream-brown color scheme. The '90s scripts take center stage again, while the striping pattern is inspired by the "Major League" uniforms. Chief Wahoo is also finally retired - all politics aside, it's a terrible logo that looks like something a corporate softball team from the 1950s would use, not a professional sports logo.

BP/SPECIAL:

nBSUBLm.png

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, the Indians wore unique batting practice jerseys with shoulder stripes. I thought it was a nice look, so I brought it back. The Indians also get a foreign-language alternate, featuring the Seneca word for "Indian." The Ohio Seneca tribe, led by Chief Stigwanish, had a prominent presence in Northeast Ohio at the time of Cleveland's founding, so I thought it would be a fitting tribute. In lieu of another script, I went with a block wordmark reminiscent of their uniforms from 1970 - a very underappreciated set.

I love this so much. It takes an extremely forgettable identity and makes something really unique! I especially love the Seneca jersey.

- Indians: Two thumbs up! Red, brown and cream look gorgeous together and that new "C" logo is just fantastic. Huge improvement over the Tribe's current look!

- Tigers: The alternates look nice. Replacing the script with Old English lettering would take some getting used to, but I like the idea.

- Royals: Not a fan of the metallic gold color or the vests, but the BP jersey looks great. I would also drop the crown over the wordmarks. I think it just clutters up what could otherwise be a clean look.

- White Sox: Sorry, but this is a big misfire for me. I like the idea of emphasizing white and gray over black, but the wordmarks and logo just look very amateurish. Why not go with one of their lesser used wordmarks and "C" logos? 

- Twins: I really like the Vikings colors and the two-tone BP jerseys. I would go back to the original "TC" logo, but otherwise you have a winner here.

CHICAGO CUBS

CAPS:

JoIJ6SB.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

bUZZW7o.png

The traditional home pinstripes mostly stay the same, but the C-bear logo takes precedence over the Cᴜʙѕ logo. The road uniform is based off a prototype I saw on eBay once, which featured the Lubalin Graph wordmark the Cubs wore in the early '90s, but with the Cᴜʙѕ logo replacing the second C in "CHICAGO." The real stars of this set, IMO, are the two fauxbacks. The home look is based on the zipper-front psuedo-vests the Cubs wore in the early '40s. I love that look, but I'm not crazy about the logo on the front. So instead, I borrowed the script used by the Orlando Cubs - a short-lived minor league affiliate from the mid-1990s. The road fauxback is inspired by their 1909 road uniforms, which featured a unique design with the city name running down the placket. Instead of pinstriped greys, I went with powder blues, as the Cubs were the first MLB team ever to use powder-blue road uniforms.

BP:

r0SO36x.png

Both the home and road batting practice jerseys are inspired by uniforms the Cubs have worn in the past.

(I'm crunched for time, so I'll post the rest of the division later.)

xLmjWVv.png

Beautiful work on the Cubs! I like that you used the modern walking bear logo on the road fauxback. A logo similar to the one on the home fauxback was worn by the 1932 Cubs, as well.

My only complaint is the road fauxback looks a little too neon compared to the powder blue road the Cubs actually wore.

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

CAPS:

rbNqAC6.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

sZDpwJX.png

The Cardinals classic home and road looks are untouched, with the exception of putting the city name on the roads. The vintage-white alternate uniform is replaced by red alternates for the home and the road. Before everyone starts carrying on about "tradition," I'll note that the Cardinals have actually worn red jerseys before in a game - on Labor Day 1999, to raise awareness for muscular dystrophy and the MDA.

BP:

jg1ZP7A.png

The home and road batting practice jerseys are both based on the ones worn by the great Ozzie Smith.

xLmjWVv.png

PITTSBURGH PIRATES

CAPS:

hhkU3zP.png

REGULAR UNIFORMS:

Zh8BzNN.png

I've always liked the Pirates' classic vest look. I've also liked how they used to work in red trim here and there as an alternate look - well, with one key exception, that is. Even I have my limits. And I've always liked their gold and black pants from the "We Are Family" era. The black pants in particular are an element that have no business working, would look ugly on pretty much any other team, but somehow against all odds look good on the Pirates. So I mixed all of those influences together, and here are the results.

BP:

c41X2X1.png

The batting practice jerseys are based on the Pirates' uniforms from the 1920s, which featured the logo on the sleeve instead of the chest. I also took inspiration from their old-school pillbox caps.

xLmjWVv.png

MILWAUKEE BREWERS

CAPS:

TizFAp1.png

The caps, as you can probably tell, are inspired by the Seattle Pilots.

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

eicdpei.png

The Brewers get a modernized version of their "Motre Bame" uniforms, with wheat striping and a new color scheme that's sure to be a hit with the Cheeseheads. I used vintage white instead of regular white to distance them from the A's.

BP/SPECIAL:

kfHxf6Y.png

The BP jerseys continue the Seattle Pilots tribute theme from the caps. The Brew Crew also get Polish- and German-language alternates.

xLmjWVv.png

CINCINNATI REDS

CAPS:

BZaCg74.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

9RUQFdi.png

This set is based on the Reds' uniforms from the late '50s. The home vest was originally worn in 1956 and 1957. The road vest was worn in 1957 and 1958. And the pinstriped vest was originally worn from 1958-1960, eventually coming back for another run in the 1990s. The Reds also get two tasteful red alternates for the home and road, as well as a throwback to the 1936 satin uniforms - gaudy red pants and all.

BP:

a6hUHUT.png

The BP jerseys are inspired by the Big Red Machine.

=============================================

Next stop: the AL West.

xLmjWVv.png

- Cardinals: I would add the navy placket and sleeve piping from that Labor Day '99 uniform to the home alt. I find the road alt redundant.

- Pirates: I'm surprised by how much I like the addition of red, especially on the yellow alt. The BP jerseys are good enough to be alternates.

- Brewers: I'm digging the Green Bay-esque color scheme and the barley trim. Is there any way you could eliminate the box around Owgust's head on that cap and recreate the cap from the winning YOUniform design?

- Reds: I like the simplicity of just using the "C" logo.

Nice job! I really like the Cubs and Cardinals (would like to see their blue/red Stan Musial era caps). Glad to see the Pirates without sleeves and also like the simplistic look of the wishbone-c on the Reds. Brewers look really good, too. The green might take some getting used to...but regionally, it makes sense.

TEXAS RANGERS

CAPS:

HHxrksT.png

The Rangers get a new DFW monogram to symbolize the Dallas/Fort Worth market they represent. While I'm aware that they play in Arlington, so do the Dallas Cowboys.

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

iG23PdX.png

The Rangers get a modern-yet-classic look meant to evoke cowboys and Westerns. I think the shades of red and blue I selected in addition to the use of vintage white accomplishes that.

BP:

gvlwmkx.png

Because the Rangers' normal uniforms here are so plain, I experimented more with the batting practice jerseys. The BPs are based on two flags from Texas' history. The asymmetrical sleeve design is a nod to the Goliad flag that was raised to celebrate the signing of Texas' declaration of independence from Mexico. The flag itself appears on the opposite sleeve. I wish I could say this is a totally original idea, but I'm pretty sure @Discrimihater has also used a similar idea in the past. With that said, I liked it enough to put my own spin on it - I hope he doesn't mind. Meanwhile, the chest logo is inspired by the first flag of the Republic of Texas.

xLmjWVv.png

Archived