Ice Cream Helmets and Other Souvenirs

Gobbi

I want to preface this thread by saying that based on where I live, getting to go to a pro sports game is a big deal for me. I'm a 9 hour drive away from the nearest NHL team, 10.5 hours from MLB/NFL, and 12 hours from the nearest NBA team. I wish I had the luxury of living in a major city with a home team that I could go see regularly. 

Anyways, whenever I attend an MLB game at a ballpark I haven't been to before, I make sure to buy the soft serve ice cream that comes in the mini batting helmets. Below is my collection of helmets arranged in the order that I visited the ballpark.

image.jpeg

I love how this is something that I'm guaranteed to find at each ballpark and will be the same size/shape no matter where I go. If I have all 30 in my man cave one day I'd be thrilled!

With that being said, I want to have a similar consistent memento for each NFL/NHL/NBA stadium/arena that I've visited but I'm not aware of anything like the ice cream helmets that will be the same for each team within their respective league. I've thought of buying a puck for each NHL arena but for NFL and NBA I'm stumped. I thought I'd open this thread up for people to answer this as well as to post pics of their own collections of souvenirs from games they've attended. 

Side note: I love that Petco Park had the brown ice cream helmet. I specifically asked for one of those over the navy ones since the Padres were wearing their brown and yellow alternates for the game I went to. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having been to 10 or so NFL Stadia, I don't think you'll find a similar item.  I know that there used to be (maybe still are) football ice cream helmets made.

I've got some spares of these somewhere.  If you're looking to build all 30, send me a message and I'll see what I can find.

It's where I sit.

51 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

Side note: I love that Petco Park had the brown ice cream helmet. I specifically asked for one of those over the navy ones since the Padres were wearing their brown and yellow alternates for the game I went to. 

Thank you for letting me know about the two helmet types, that means i have to get both when I go!

As far as NFL and NBA, I think you will be hard pressed to find items that are similar across all teams. Maybe mini basketballs for NBA, Junior footballs for NFL? The issue I think you might find is that there isn't any souvenir that serves another purpose. I don't think many of the other leagues serve food or drink in a souvenir container.

44 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I've got some spares of these somewhere.  If you're looking to build all 30, send me a message and I'll see what I can find.

I appreciate the offer but I want to earn them the hard way. If I have all 30 that means I will have been to all 30 ballparks. 

13 minutes ago, rsaline said:

Thank you for letting me know about the two helmet types, that means i have to get both when I go!

As far as NFL and NBA, I think you will be hard pressed to find items that are similar across all teams. Maybe mini basketballs for NBA, Junior footballs for NFL? The issue I think you might find is that there isn't any souvenir that serves another purpose. I don't think many of the other leagues serve food or drink in a souvenir container.

No prob! I was quite pleased to see they had both when I went. 

Yeah from the NBA and NFL games I've been to, I suspected as such. A lot of teams have the option of a souvenir soft drink cup but that didn't seem to exist at MSG. 

No matter what sporting event I go to, I try to make my #1 souvenir be a game day program.  Those tend to be the most similar item across every stadium/arena.

My only go-to souvenir item for NHL venues is getting a lapel pin that are shaped in hockey sweaters.  Like the guy that started the thread, I could get these things online...but I only want to get them either if I go to a game there or have set foot inside the building.

I would like to start collecting souvenir golf balls for each team, but the prices for 1-3 balls are ridiculous.  Lapel pins are at least reasonably priced and don't take up much room.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Football helmets?  I've never seen those. 

Dairy Queen used to have football helmet sundaes back in the '70s.  I remember having the NY Giants multi-striped helmet from that time period.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-New-York-Giants-Helmet-DISCO-LOGO-Dairy-Queen-Football-Helmet-Giants-/252540172499?hash=item3acc9138d3:g:6e4AAOSwrURXPg6u

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1974-LAICH-NFL-FOOTBALL-COMPLETE-28-ICE-CREAM-BOWL-HELMETS-DAIRY-QUEEN-/191951220852?hash=item2cb12f3074:g:DagAAOSwUUdXDzRl

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I like to buy baseballs at every MLB park I attend. So far I have been to:

• PNC Park(Pittsburgh(Many a time))
  • Progressive Field(Cleveland)
  • Orioles Park(Baltimore)
  • Old Yankee Stadium(New York)
  • Busch Stadium(St Louis)
  • Turner Field(Atlanta)
  • Nationals Park(DC)

IxkieML.png

My go-to souvenir at baseball games has always been a baseball and a mini-bat. I try to get both. Be it a minor or major league game. I haven't ever attended an NHL game, but at minor/junior league games I always buy a puck for somewhere new (or a new season). For NFL, I don't really have anything since I've only attended an NFL game at FirstEnergy Stadium and Heinz Field. And I'm not about to buy a Steelers souvenir. For MLS, I always buy a scarf. The only place I didn't was when the Kansas City Wizards played at the minor league baseball stadium. They didn't have any in stock.

But, I have been to a lot of HS games. Always try to buy a program if they're selling one.

So far, my baseball home team list is:

Cleveland Indians

Pittsburgh Pirates (Three Rivers and PNC)

Cincinnati Reds

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals

Colorado Rockies

Atlanta Braves (Turner Field)

Tampa Bay Rays

-----

Columbus Clippers

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders

New Orleans Zephyrs

Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Salt Lake Bees

Tucson Padres

El Paso Chihuahuas (in Tucson)

------

Connecticut Tigers

Erie SeaWolves

Mahoning Valley Scrappers

Lexington Legends

Charleston RiverDogs

Savannah Sand Gnats

-----

Butler BlueSox

Slippery Rock Sliders

Washington Wild Things

Laredo Broncos (no souvenirs, only broken game bats for sale)

Only Laredo didn't have the souvenirs I usually get. I have the bat for Pittsburgh at Three Rivers, but never bought a ball. Or at least, I don't remember and I don't have one now.

For MLS:

Columbus

Kansas City

FC Dallas

Houston

Salt Lake (Rice-Eccles & Rio Tinto)

Colorado

One thing that the NFL venues do have is hot chocolate/coffee mugs or cups. I've found them at every northern venue. Even though I haven't been there for NFL games, I have been to many, and usually find a souvenir cup/mug. Either one I bought or one someone left (don't judge me, I don't use them, just wash them and sit them on a shelf. Free is free).

I've been to 204 different stadiums for HS football games. No clue how many programs I have. Two large stacks. Only if I'm somewhere new do I buy one. Or a new season. And not all sell programs.

20 hours ago, Mitch B said:

Yeah I remember when they also used to have MLB batting helmet sundaes in the mid to late 80's too. I used to have a small collection of those.

7 hours ago, Luke_Groundrunner said:

Yeah I remember when they also used to have MLB batting helmet sundaes in the mid to late 80's too. I used to have a small collection of those.

The MLB helmets were nicer than the NFL helmets.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

When in doubt, you can always buy something generic from each NFL/NBA team store such as: a shot glass, key chain, pennant, flag

I'd recommend looking in teams online stores, usually if one team carries a product, it's universal to the entire league.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

I'm very similar to Sykotyk in terms of what I collect. Whenever I travel, I always try to catch some game. Baseball and basketball have been the easiest to catch (really because of the quantity) and then hockey. Football I haven't really developed a system for yet since I rarely ever catch a football game unless I specifically travel for it. 

But, usually, I always try to get a program/yearbook/media guide. These have definitely been the longest lasting keepsakes. I also usually get a shirt from the team store as well. Then, I usually get a team-branded ball/puck/mini-bat (baseball/hockey), or scarf (soccer). Basketball is a little bit all over the place. I've got random things (mini-hoops, other trinkets) that I've lost. Programs/yearsbooks/media guides/ticket stubs have been the ones that have survived the years. 

Archived