Ice Cream Helmets and Other Souvenirs

Gobbi

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Not everything in the team's online store is able to be bought at the arena/stadium.

Very true but it will give you an idea of what items you could see that trend between teams that are alike. I'm sure every stadium, regardless of the sport, has atleast a bobble-head of some type in a gift shop.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/18/2016 at 3:17 PM, Gobbi said:

I'm a 9 hour drive away from the nearest NHL team, 10.5 hours from MLB/NFL, and 12 hours from the nearest NBA team.

OT, but I had way too much fun trying to figure this out. Where are there three cities relatively close to each other, with this combination of sports teams? 

Its gotta be Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland, which places you in BC, but not so far East that Edmonton or Calgary would be closer. 

How'd I do?

6 hours ago, NYBadshah1 said:

But, usually, I always try to get a program/yearbook/media guide. These have definitely been the longest lasting keepsakes. I also usually get a shirt from the team store as well. Then, I usually get a team-branded ball/puck/mini-bat (baseball/hockey), or scarf (soccer). Basketball is a little bit all over the place. I've got random things (mini-hoops, other trinkets) that I've lost. Programs/yearsbooks/media guides/ticket stubs have been the ones that have survived the years. 

I'm the same way with ticket stubs. I've got them going all the way back to when I was a kid. They're the perfect memento. With that being said, I can't express enough how much I hate the increasing trend of digital/pdf tickets. I understand it from a convenience and even environmental standpoint but it ruins the nostalgia of it. I've got a binder full of all my tickets and the ones that are in full page sleeves printed on computer paper just don't look right. 

When I went to my last Eagles game, I had my eye on two sets of comparable tickets on Stubhub. They were essentially the same section/row but I paid $20 more for the one pair because it was UPS delivery rather than email.... I was pretty damn choked when I opened up the package only to find out that the guy had just printed the pdf tickets and sent those.

1 hour ago, acb13013 said:

OT, but I had way too much fun trying to figure this out. Where are there three cities relatively close to each other, with this combination of sports teams? 

Its gotta be Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland, which places you in BC, but not so far East that Edmonton or Calgary would be closer. 

How'd I do?

Haha well done! You are correct! I live in Prince George, BC... which according to Google Maps is actually a quicker drive to Edmonton than Vancouver but in my experience driving through Jasper National Park always slows down the drive. Also, if we're trusting the times that Google Maps gives, I'm not making very good time when I drive to Vancouver either. 

Thank you! I'm a map geek, so reading that to start the thread really tickled my brain. I'm proud to say that I didn't check a map until after I made my guess!

... Back on topic, I haven't been too religious about saving mementos from all the games I've seen, but I try to keep something if it's a big deal.

For example, I was at the Metrodome for the final home game of the regular season in 1987, when the Twins clinched a tie for the AL West. I spent every last nickel of my allowance on a Kirby Puckett mini bat (which I now must keep above my kids' reach). A friend in school did even better, he went down by the dugout after the game and caught Dan Gladden's batting gloves.

On 9/18/2016 at 3:46 PM, Gothamite said:

Football helmets?  I've never seen those. 

Piggybacking off @Mitch B's reply, DQ also briefly had NFL sundae helmets in the early '90s. I have a Bengals and an Eagles sitting around somewhere...would like to get more, because they're pretty cool.

5 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

NHL has got to be a team puck.   Easy to collect and you can make a cool display out of them.

NFL easiest would be a mini helmet.

NBA, why would you wanna go to an NBA game?! :P

This may be a little off topic, but I've never understood how to cheer at a basketball game... They score a lot more points than any other sports, and there's not really that one everyone stands up and cheers for several moments (Unless maybe a buzzer-beater) unlike the other big sports. Hockey, football, baseball, even soccer all have that one "SCORES!!!" moment in the game... But not basketball. I feel like most people at a basketball game are just kinda there ya know?

Back to topic, I've bought a Mini-Sota (;)) Helmet at Wild games for Ice cream, but I've seen bigger ones for Nachos. Some of my siblings also went to a Twins game and brought back a bunch of mini batting helmets, but each one had a white logo on a white cap panel. It still bothers the heck out of me...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 9/21/2016 at 10:12 AM, chcarlson23 said:

This may be a little off topic, but I've never understood how to cheer at a basketball game... They score a lot more points than any other sports, and there's not really that one everyone stands up and cheers for several moments (Unless maybe a buzzer-beater) unlike the other big sports. Hockey, football, baseball, even soccer all have that one "SCORES!!!" moment in the game... But not basketball. I feel like most people at a basketball game are just kinda there ya know?

This! The biggest reason I prefer hockey and lacrosse is that they have so much continual action, compared to football or baseball. That isn't to say I don't enjoy the sports, just nowhere near as much as hockey or Lax. 

When it comes to basketball, I like it, but the last five minutes, if it's a close game, are the only part that gets really exciting, for me. With such high scoring frequency, it just doesn't energize the crowd like a hockey goal does.

But as for collectibles, I do hockey pucks and baseballs. Other than that, I just keep programs. 

One other thing I do is collect pocket schedules. Lots of times I'm not in town to catch a home game, or the season hasn't started, etc. Any time I'm somewhere and see a pocket schedule I don't have (usually at gas stations) I grab one. I have a ton from Arizona, some from Minnesota, Texas, Tennessee and Cali. Most of the rest are college ones along I-10 or 1-40.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I have always just purchased a program to go with my ticket stub at each game. However I have lived in two big cities now and gone to so many MLB games that I stopped buying a program for each game. I still save all of my ticket stubs though and anytime I go someplace new I always get a program.

• 4 weeks later...

Another tradition of mine is to buy the gameday lapel pins for each Eagles home game I've been to. They usually have both teams' logos/helmets and say the date of the game and any other sort of promotion that is happening. The first NFL game I went to was at the Linc so I assumed each team did this sort of thing. I was disappointed when I couldn't find a gameday pin for the Eagles Seahawks game I went to in Seattle. Do you know of any other teams who make a pin specific for each game?

I seem to have started a collection, if you can call two a collection, of big plastic baseball helmets. An Angels one which had nachos in it, which was a mistake because there was just too many nachos, and a Diamondbacks one with popcorn.

At my grandparents house, my dad has old mini MLB and CFL helmets which I believe he got from Dairy Queen IIRC.

IbjBaeE.png

On 18/09/2016 at 3:17 PM, Gobbi said:

I want to preface this thread by saying that based on where I live, getting to go to a pro sports game is a big deal for me. I'm a 9 hour drive away from the nearest NHL team, 10.5 hours from MLB/NFL, and 12 hours from the nearest NBA team. I wish I had the luxury of living in a major city with a home team that I could go see regularly. 

Anyways, whenever I attend an MLB game at a ballpark I haven't been to before, I make sure to buy the soft serve ice cream that comes in the mini batting helmets. Below is my collection of helmets arranged in the order that I visited the ballpark.

image.jpeg

I love how this is something that I'm guaranteed to find at each ballpark and will be the same size/shape no matter where I go. If I have all 30 in my man cave one day I'd be thrilled!

With that being said, I want to have a similar consistent memento for each NFL/NHL/NBA stadium/arena that I've visited but I'm not aware of anything like the ice cream helmets that will be the same for each team within their respective league. I've thought of buying a puck for each NHL arena but for NFL and NBA I'm stumped. I thought I'd open this thread up for people to answer this as well as to post pics of their own collections of souvenirs from games they've attended. 

Side note: I love that Petco Park had the brown ice cream helmet. I specifically asked for one of those over the navy ones since the Padres were wearing their brown and yellow alternates for the game I went to. 

Oh boy! I have always thought I was far from everything but you get the palm! 5 hours from NHL, 9 from NBA and MLB and 11 from NFL but I did pretty good for a 32 years old. I also get souvenir helmets at every MLB stadiums and I'm picking up souvenirs like crazy. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. I have been to over 100 games in 22 MLB stadiums, around 15 games in 3 NFL stadiums, around 25 games in 6 NHL arenas (plus the winter classic at Michigan Stadium), around 10 games in 2 NBA arenas and I have stuff from pretty much everywhere, let's say my basement will be kinda full when everything will be finished...

11 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Oh boy! I have always thought I was far from everything but you get the palm! 5 hours from NHL, 9 from NBA and MLB and 11 from NFL but I did pretty good for a 32 years old. I also get souvenir helmets at every MLB stadiums and I'm picking up souvenirs like crazy. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. I have been to over 100 games in 22 MLB stadiums, around 15 games in 3 NFL stadiums, around 25 games in 6 NHL arenas (plus the winter classic at Michigan Stadium), around 10 games in 2 NBA arenas and I have stuff from pretty much everywhere, let's say my basement will be kinda full when everything will be finished...

That's really good for 32 years old considering where you live! I'm 27 and aside from one Canucks game in the 90s, all the other games I've been to have been from 2009 to now. That includes 11 MLB games at 7 different stadiums, 5 NFL games at 4 different stadiums, 3 NHL games at 3 different arenas (4 if you include the Canucks game), and 1 NBA game. I've definitely been making up for lost time the past 7 years!

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. @acb13013 should have a fun time figuring out where you live too!

Not sure there's anything else besides game programs, souvenir cups, and the baseball helmets that's sort of just "in stadium specific" that you can't just buy at a team store, etc.  

EDIT: although for the NFL games you can get game specific pins. 

41 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I've never seen those at Lambeau.

I think it depends on the team. As previously mentioned, I've got them at the Linc. I asked at the Arrowhead team store but they were sold out of the pins for the Chiefs Bills game I went to in 2011. No luck at all in Seattle (even googling gameday pins for the Seahawks doesn't return much) and then I didn't have time to check the team store for the Jets game I went to but have found the pin from that game on eBay.

9 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

I think it depends on the team. As previously mentioned, I've got them at the Linc. I asked at the Arrowhead team store but they were sold out of the pins for the Chiefs Bills game I went to in 2011. No luck at all in Seattle (even googling gameday pins for the Seahawks doesn't return much) and then I didn't have time to check the team store for the Jets game I went to but have found the pin from that game on eBay.

Agreed - I guess we're saying the same thing.  I was responding to a comment that "for NFL games you can get game specific pins". That is a team thing, not an NFL thing from what I've seen.

It's where I sit.

Archived