ldconcepts' NHL De-Edge (Winnipeg added 10/24)

ldconcepts

ldconcepts' NHL De-Edge

Anaheim Ducks

Arizona Coyotes

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Calgary Flames

Carolina Hurricanes

Chicago Blackhawks

Colorado Avalanche

Columbus Blue Jackets

Dallas Stars

Detroit Red Wings

Edmonton Oilers

Florida Panthers

Los Angeles Kings

Minnesota Wild

Montreal Canadiens

Nashville Predators

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Ottawa Senators

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

San Jose Sharks

St. Louis Blues

Tampa Bay Lightning

Toronto Maple Leafs

Vancouver Canucks

Washington Capitals

Winnipeg Jets

After a while, I'm back with a new series I've been working on over the last weeks: de-edging the NHL. I didn't set concrete rules for myself, but for the purpose of this series, the Edge takeover never happens Any logos introduced during the Edge Era are fair game. For some teams, some continuity is used, for some including the Original Six, anything goes, for some, it's just something popping out of my head. All teams are outfitted with the old CCM and new NHL logos on the hem.

This whole series is already completed, so this WILL be finished. 

Without further ado, here's the first team:

ANAHEIM DUCKS

NHL%20De-Edge-%20Anaheim%20Ducks_zpsynh5

For the Ducks, this would go along the 90s Senators route, where slight changes were made to the set before. Obviously the duck foot logo was swapped in for the script. I also played up to one of my biggest strengths as a designer: making a perfect jersey to match a logo. Other features are lifted from the first Ducks era jerseys, such as the number outlining, collars, and transfer from dark jersey to white.

C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, on to the next:

ARIZONA COYOTES

NHL%20De-Edge-%20Arizona%20Coyotes_zpsci

With the Edge takeover non-existent, hem stripes are still a thing for new uniforms. The Yotes still want to add more colours, and do so by removing a stripe, filling in the hems and cuffs with black,  and replacing white with sand on the home. The new alternate logos are used on separate jerseys again, but the one-patch syndrome is cured.

This is a very straightforward set, boring compared to most of this series, but if Edge didn't exist, this could very possibly be what Arizona is wearing today.

C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

The only suggestion I'd make for Arizona is to do with the collars what they did in real life and have a tie-down collar on one of the two. I liked how there was that difference between the two jerseys pre-Edge.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

20 hours ago, RedfieldNick said:

Anaheim-Perfect, change nothing

Arizona-Looks nice, but kachina striping would excite the set, and look super good

I agree. Most teams should stick to some kind of traditional striping. The Coyotes are one of the few teams that should be doing something non-traditional (along with the Avs and Hurricanes).

This set is still a huge step up from what they currently wear, and I'm glad you've embraced the use of sand. Good work.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Keep in mind, this is a new template and I'm not exactly used to where to put the stripes. (I actually like the Edge cut better, besides their claims of not being able to fit some designs on the template, and the terrible templated messes.)

BOSTON BRUINS

NHL%20De-Edge-%20Boston%20Bruins_zpserfw

I'm a big fan of Boston's current set, which in my opinion is a huge step up from their 90s set. With that being said, I just tried to clean things up, by balancing colour and putting somehow introduce more consistency into the set. Unfortunately posting these in alphabetical order puts the somewhat boring sets at the beginning, but believe me that some out-there sets will be included.

C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

Can I be partially biased for minute? Thanks. The Bruins look incredible right now so it's virtually impossible to create a step-up concept, Granted since this is a different template it's a whole nother deal. I like your update on their 90's set cause if they didn't go edge this is where they would've gone instead. My one critique however would be to make the road collar yellow because right now it's like a black hole up there. This thread is going in the right direction, keep it up.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Next up:

BUFFALO SABRES

NHL%20De-Edge-%20Buffalo%20Sabres_zps0vd

I know some may not agree with me, but there are a couple things the current Sabres' set has a leg up on their original on... The striping on the white jersey matches, the updated logo looks miles better then its predecessor, and grey is actually a nice addition... on the striping. I removed the piping, lightened the shade of blue, and doubled the sleeve stripes for a more vintage look. I could easily see this happening if the Edge takeover never happened.

C&C Appreciated!

(And keep in mind that the non-boring teams are approaching! Just... five... more... days... :P)

Nyzv9xS.png

Next-

CALGARY FLAMES

NHL%20De-Edge-%20Calgary%20Flames_zpsxqx

While I think that the Flames could go either way in prioritizing white or black in their colour scheme, I chose black for this concept as it's what they've been using for the past 16 years. I cleaned up the general striping pattern on the reds, and converted the side panels to full length shoulder yokes and hem stripes. I elected to go with their current/former alternate number font, a clean typeface that fits the brand. With feedback from @chcarlson23 on HJC, I used a white on black NOB on the red jersey, for clarity as opposed to matching the numbers.

C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

Beautiful work, if only this had happened in real life.  My only suggestion, since it's an alternate history, is to provide the dates in which these uniforms were unveiled.  Did the Coyotes re-design happen in 2015 like in the Edge era or did they wait longer?  How long did Calgary keep the horse as a secondary and so on and so forth.  Great work though, looking forward to seeing more :) .

26 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Beautiful work, if only this had happened in real life.  My only suggestion, since it's an alternate history, is to provide the dates in which these uniforms were unveiled.  Did the Coyotes re-design happen in 2015 like in the Edge era or did they wait longer?  How long did Calgary keep the horse as a secondary and so on and so forth.  Great work though, looking forward to seeing more :) .

That's a good idea, but would only work on a few teams, such as the Coyotes (I picture this being unveiled in 2015). For some others, such as O6 teams and a few untouchables, I'm only experimenting with a CCM template. Thanks for the feedback!

Nyzv9xS.png

17 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Next-

CALGARY FLAMES

NHL%20De-Edge-%20Calgary%20Flames_zpsxqx

While I think that the Flames could go either way in prioritizing white or black in their colour scheme, I chose black for this concept as it's what they've been using for the past 16 years. I cleaned up the general striping pattern on the reds, and converted the side panels to full length shoulder yokes and hem stripes. I elected to go with their current/former alternate number font, a clean typeface that fits the brand. With feedback from @chcarlson23 on HJC, I used a white on black NOB on the red jersey, for clarity as opposed to matching the numbers.

C&C Appreciated!

10/10 now, and still my COTW!;)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Again, very simple fix. Like their current set, I'd picture these coming in 2013.

CAROLINA HURRICANES

NHL%20De-Edge-%20Carolina%20Hurricanes_z

All traces of silver are removed, like their current set, as are the shoulder logos. The hurricane warning pattern is now used on the arms. Very simple set, what I'd love for them to be sporting now.

C&C Appreciated, a more "different" concept coming tomorrow!

Nyzv9xS.png

Next up, last of the "boring" ones...

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

NHL%20De-Edge-%20Chicago%20Blackhawks_zp

I emphasized red on the away, and altered the current home to match. For simplicity, the C-tomahawk is only used on the home shoulders.

I should have another one up today if I get enough C&C!

Nyzv9xS.png

Archived